• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
So happy to see this arrive in stock:

I've ordered it in a size 90. The 3 Passants and western belts were always grails of mine but YSL discontinued them a long time ago (2016ish) and never produced anything similar again. Celine's belts have mostly been logo'd or generic up until now so very happy to finally have my hands on one.

Randeep

Reaction score
Ah nice, thanks so much! Interested to see how it is. If you do stick with that French Connection one, I'd consider buying some metal aglets to attach to the cord which will help them fall more nicely and make it look more premium. A shiny aglet goes a long way ?

Hey,

I bought the French Connection cashmere hoodie you recommended as a cheaper alternative to one from Celine way back when you recommended it. I'm really pleased with it. I'm a built IT48 so ordered size M first - the fit of which was wafty and lifeless. Returned for a size S which was perfectly slim. Everything about it is perfect - the length, width of ribbing, lack of front pouch, hood size, the fabric texture, the flat drawstrings... could not be more happy with it so thank you so much for suggesting this. One thing I did do though when it came was to unknot the draw strings and gently iron the crease out, so they just lay flat.. looks a bit more modest this way and have not been missing the shiny aglets, though that's something I'll bear in mind - to attach aftermarket aglets.

I don't have much (any.... I think) cashmere in the wardrobe so I can't really compare to the equivalent option at Celine for 6x the price but I have no complaints about the softness, the mid-weight fabric, or how useful it has been in keeping me warm. I will say that early on when I purchased it I was a bit overzealous in taking it off (after a fresh buzzcut) and the cashmere caught on the back of my head and I heard stitching give way in both upper backs of the arms - my fault and I've since repaired them and been more careful with taking it off. I've been wearing it a LOT, and have shaved off bobbles with a machine twice since back then and I'm still happy with it. Actually, in the Black Friday sales I bought a 2nd one in the same size as a backup - it had 30% knocked off so was even more of a no-brainer! So once again, thanks - I'm glad I asked in this thread about alternatives :)

A few fit pics - size S:

cashmere1.jpg

cashmere2.jpg

cashmere3.jpg

cashmere4.jpg

Self-evidently wearing that hoodie into the ground with:

a) super skinny jeans from asos in 30x34. Safe, dependable piece that stacks the way I like em. The knees retain their shape. Not bad for £20 (or less in the occasional flash sale).
b) ann d raven high tops. I vaguely remember some discussion about ann d boots in this thread which had me looking at their footwear options. I fell in love with these as soon as I saw them. I wanted something that bridged the gap between casual sports trainers (retro shaped running trainers from Nike or New Balance) - the kind I'd wear to the gym, and my suede or leather boots from SL/Celine. Something that would keep the outfit looking on point in inclement weather when I wouldn't want to **** my SL/Celine boots (they're my babies).. and these are them - they're made of soft nappy leather, almost suede, with a bit of a burnished look... the shaft is tall and importantly skinny so they hug my calves well with the skinny jeans, but nicely balanced with the slightly bulkier bottoms.... and this pair has the double zip detailing and biker buckle type attachment at the top... just perfect! Now I'm considering what could be the equivalent for summer - maybe another pair from AnnD, maybe CT-01 Zs - I really like the new release in black suede with the mesh inserts.

Here's a closeup shot of them with, whaddya know, the same jeans :bounce2:

ann_d.jpg

godnose

Reaction score
Hey,

I bought the French Connection cashmere hoodie you recommended as a cheaper alternative to one from Celine way back when you recommended it. I'm really pleased with it. I'm a built IT48 so ordered size M first - the fit of which was wafty and lifeless. Returned for a size S which was perfectly slim. Everything about it is perfect - the length, width of ribbing, lack of front pouch, hood size, the fabric texture, the flat drawstrings... could not be more happy with it so thank you so much for suggesting this. One thing I did do though when it came was to unknot the draw strings and gently iron the crease out, so they just lay flat.. looks a bit more modest this way and have not been missing the shiny aglets, though that's something I'll bear in mind - to attach aftermarket aglets.

I don't have much (any.... I think) cashmere in the wardrobe so I can't really compare to the equivalent option at Celine for 6x the price but I have no complaints about the softness, the mid-weight fabric, or how useful it has been in keeping me warm. I will say that early on when I purchased it I was a bit overzealous in taking it off (after a fresh buzzcut) and the cashmere caught on the back of my head and I heard stitching give way in both upper backs of the arms - my fault and I've since repaired them and been more careful with taking it off. I've been wearing it a LOT, and have shaved off bobbles with a machine twice since back then and I'm still happy with it. Actually, in the Black Friday sales I bought a 2nd one in the same size as a backup - it had 30% knocked off so was even more of a no-brainer! So once again, thanks - I'm glad I asked in this thread about alternatives :)

A few fit pics - size S:

a) super skinny jeans from asos in 30x34. Safe, dependable piece that stacks the way I like em. The knees retain their shape. Not bad for £20 (or less in the occasional flash sale).
b) ann d raven high tops. I vaguely remember some discussion about ann d boots in this thread which had me looking at their footwear options. I fell in love with these as soon as I saw them. I wanted something that bridged the gap between casual sports trainers (retro shaped running trainers from Nike or New Balance) - the kind I'd wear to the gym, and my suede or leather boots from SL/Celine. Something that would keep the outfit looking on point in inclement weather when I wouldn't want to **** my SL/Celine boots (they're my babies).. and these are them - they're made of soft nappy leather, almost suede, with a bit of a burnished look... the shaft is tall and importantly skinny so they hug my calves well with the skinny jeans, but nicely balanced with the slightly bulkier bottoms.... and this pair has the double zip detailing and biker buckle type attachment at the top... just perfect! Now I'm considering what could be the equivalent for summer - maybe another pair from AnnD, maybe CT-01 Zs - I really like the new release in black suede with the mesh inserts.

Oh wow, what an amazing write-up! I'm so pleased! French Connection has long been my secret weapon and I absolutely stand by it as a quality clothing shop. It's just recently changed hands and I hope the quality doesn't suffer for it. I'm pleased you could save yourself a fortune!

rippedbluejeans

Reaction score
Hey,

A few fit pics - size S:

How have the ASOS skinny jeans held up for you? In the absence of any good Celine jeans and the horrible cut of more recent SLP jeans I have been buying the most undecorated Amiri jeans as they stack well and have very SLP-ish washes - but the prices are obviously offensive even on sale.

rivegauche

Reaction score
How have the ASOS skinny jeans held up for you? In the absence of any good Celine jeans and the horrible cut of more recent SLP jeans I have been buying the most undecorated Amiri jeans as they stack well and have very SLP-ish washes - but the prices are obviously offensive even on sale.
Hard to find good denim nowadays really. I think Nudies are still an okayish alternative for everyday wear if you can grab them at sales price.

Recently, I also tried on two pairs from Acne Studios (both North cut). The stay black pair was really tight in the waist while having considerably wider leg opening (~16.5cm), so they didn’t really cut it for me. The washed black pair however was considerably better. Great fit in the waist and the leg opening was only slightly wider than preferred (somewhere between 15.5cm and 16cm). So fit was not 100% perfect but quality was totally on point, great fabric and flawless stitching plus very minimalist and clean pocket design. Plus they’re made in Italy and I could grab them for a more than decent price. Still not sure if I’ll keep them or not, might get them slightly tapered if I do.

rivegauche

Reaction score
On another note, really intrigued to try Rimbaud when it is released. Didn’t want to purchase another fragrance initially (I already own four from the line haha) but the notes sound so good to me. Will definitely sample it if I can.

Adamdraps

Reaction score
Hard to find good denim nowadays really. I think Nudies are still an okayish alternative for everyday wear if you can grab them at sales price.

Recently, I also tried on two pairs from Acne Studios (both North cut). The stay black pair was really tight in the waist while having considerably wider leg opening (~16.5cm), so they didn’t really cut it for me. The washed black pair however was considerably better. Great fit in the waist and the leg opening was only slightly wider than preferred (somewhere between 15.5cm and 16cm). So fit was not 100% perfect but quality was totally on point, great fabric and flawless stitching plus very minimalist and clean pocket design. Plus they’re made in Italy and I could grab them for a more than decent price. Still not sure if I’ll keep them or not, might get them slightly tapered if I do.

Try six week residency denim. Both the skinny and ultra skinny are good.

These are the ultra skinny denim in black desert sun faded denim
SWR .png

Bryan55

Reaction score
Funny enough, I just picked up two pairs of Acne River slim cropped jeans in black and used black. So far I like them!

I’m also looking forward to checking out Rimbaud when it is mass released. Been waiting long enough for it.

rire

Reaction score
I wonder how many people are familiar with Rimbaud himself, especially in the US?

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder how many people are familiar with Rimbaud himself, especially in the US?
I would say he's definitely one of the more popular French poets in the USA, at least among a certain demographic. I know that Richard Hell of Television fame took his name from "A season in hell", and that he influenced Patti Smith's "poetry". His rebelliousness definitely speaks to those types of people, plus I think his writing translates well into English, although you could probably make this call better than I could.

I'm still baffled as to why Hedi would name a fragrance after a man who never bathed.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most Americans are probably exposed to Rimbaud, at least reasonably well educated Americans, in high school or college/university. As you might imagine, not a ton of emphasis and about 1% compared to the Walt Whitmans, Emily Dickinsons, and Langston Hughes of the language.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where these pants might be availlabe? I saw them styled on MrPorter and like the look. I didn’t see them on Porter. (I have the black and grey tapered sweats with the little Celine logo; they’re great.)

5EF7EA9D-24C9-4E48-A12C-A45157310C2C.jpeg

godnose

Reaction score
Does anyone know where these pants might be availlabe? I saw them styled on MrPorter and like the look. I didn’t see them on Porter. (I have the black and grey tapered sweats with the little Celine logo; they’re great.)

View attachment 1738199

Hey, they should pop up on Mr Porter of they've been styled there. I've seen pieces before in styling shots that aren't available and they usually pop up in a drop at a later time - I think Celine / Hedi, restricts what they can sell at certain times. The drops will usually coincide with when that item becomes available on the Celine website (unless it's a Mr Porter "exclusive").

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the subject of fragrances, how many sprays do you guys use with the Celine? I presume that being EDP they are a bit stronger than EDTs which I'm used to with DH 2005 which has always been my regular scent until now.

Ordered the black suede Hedi 30 Chelsea from YSL so hopefully they are unchanged from Hedi's time.

Also ordered a large black leather strap and steel Cartier Tank must. I haven't seen it in person but from photos it looks pretty nice, more elegant than the previous entry level tank solo.

At the price it should be ideal for me for regular use without needing to worry about it getting stolen or damaged too much, and I'm not a watch guy so I couldn't care less about it being quartz. I'd be paranoid of being robbed wearing a Tank Louis, or a steel / gold Rolex date just / gold day date, which are the other watches I like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics