• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

rire

Reaction score
Cheers. If I go for it I might be tempted to order 48 and 50. I always seem to be between the two and some things work better sized down and others a bit looser.
It fits pretty snug, that's for sure. Couldn't fasten the bottom button (not that you'd want to) when going TTS for instance.

godnose

Reaction score
Happy Saturday, all, just something I am wondering, how long do we think Hedi is going to be at Celine?

It's an interesting question and designers can turnover pretty fast at times - matey at Bottega Veneta and Raf Simons at Calvin Klein spring to mind...

Hedi has been at Celine for effectively just over 3 years (for the pedants, the fashion calendar confusion doesn't help calculate this). Things are very much still growing and he's building everything from the ground up and the investment is still coming in. It's hard to believe his stint at Saint Laurent has almost been matched at 4 years.

On my own fairly non-expert opinion, with the momentum going, I can't imagine Hedi leaving anything short of 10 years. Which might sound really bold but I think Celine is his baby and he's not going to want to let go. Hedi hit 7 years at Dior Homme and it doesn't seem feasible that Celine will be the same and it's already half way through.

What do people think? Is that wild? He seems to have the chemistry going with the brand and when that happens (I'm thinking Alessandro Michele at Gucci) it runs and runs. Michele will almost certainly hit 10 years at Gucci in 2025... I'm genuinely interested to know what people think!

Last edited:

pockets

Reaction score
its going to be a while, feel like its just getting started really.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think he'll be there a while. I can't see how the tiny amount of menswear on the website can be contributing much to profits overall though. It will be interesting to see what he does going forward.

My selfish hopes are that he continues doing his new stuff for the runway, but that we see a bit of expansion in the more classic area. Hedi's tailoring talents are wasted on this stuff. I also imagine the sales numbers for things like the more old style Hedi varsities etc might send a bit of a message as stuff like that seems to be selling very fast (at least as fast as any of the new styles anyway).

godnose

Reaction score
Saint Laurent was his best work.

Celine isn't even half as good.

I hope it improves drastically at some point.

Oh you negative Nelly! I think it's actually very good. The issue is that young people now do not much dress like the old Hedi archetype. Not even Hedi could be so stubborn.

I'm hoping for a long tenure at Celine, of course, and I find it pretty amazing that it will probably turn out to be Hedi's longest stint.

Adamdraps

Reaction score
Oh you negative Nelly! I think it's actually very good. The issue is that young people now do not much dress like the old Hedi archetype. Not even Hedi could be so stubborn.

I'm hoping for a long tenure at Celine, of course, and I find it pretty amazing that it will probably turn out to be Hedi's longest stint.

Nope, just facts

jesuisjesuis

Reaction score
the men's Celine offerings are shockingly bad; just compare the SLP days and how many leather jackets were offered with each collection. There's been like maybe 4 for the last 3 collections. That and 75% of the things are logo'd.

Adamdraps

Reaction score
the men's Celine offerings are shockingly bad; just compare the SLP days and how many leather jackets were offered with each collection. There's been like maybe 4 for the last 3 collections. That and 75% of the things are logo'd.

Which doesn't make sense because the womenswear is good. Most of it anyway.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah this is not objectively great work. Show 99.9 percent of people Celine menswear offerings and they'd think it was weird and unattractive. Saint Laurent was classic and had broad appeal. It was a lot more than boots and leather jackets and Rockstar clichés, which unfortunately is all it pretty much devolved to in the end.

Nobody really cares that middle class student types are wearing baggy jeans and north face nuptse coats, Tommy Hilfiger, guess and whatever else. Following trends is pretty disappointing of Hedi. He could have done it a lot more elegantly and appealingly, like his womenswear which is very appealing.

Honestly, if I was going to go streetwear and baggy then I doubt it would be Celine I'd choose at least not more than the odd item.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hedi used to start trends not follow them. Time will tell but I can't see him building a loyal following with this, the way he did with his previous work. Who cares if you can sell Celine logo t shirts in 20 colours though I suppose.

godnose

Reaction score
I mean these opinions are subjective. I know for a fact I wouldn't have gone for any SLP look ever and certainly not a logo, so this has to mean something. I remember liking the palm tree jacket (SS 2016), but that was about it. Whenever I look at old Hedi I just think of the mediocre bands that dominated the early 2000s and how, honeslty, alienated I was from all of that scene and those style codes. That's just the taste I get in my mouth on seeing it.

I think what might work is if there was a dedicated tailoring line introduced for the more classic styles, perhaps alongside the Monochroms collection. Perhaps that could come in at some point.

There's something about the geometry of the CELINE logo, the bold femininity, the fact it's not a household name, that just makes it work for me. I can't explain, fully why this logo is just so nice and doesn't feel vulgar to me. I think it somehow comes down to the fact that the owners of the clothes have curated them, they haven't just "bought" them. We all seem to agree it's hard to get your hands on Celine stuff. When I see a Balenciaga, Gucci, Givenchy (and Saint Laurent, for that matter,) logo, I just feel the person is probably a fashion victim. They copped something cos they were in a department store and it was an expensive brand they knew and they wanted clout. If I see Celine (I haven't yet!!) I'm gonna feel like, ok, this person, resonated with that youthful, slightly vulnerable, emotional moody aesthetic that I love it for.

My feeling is, if you ask the average person in a Saint Laurent logo what they think of Anthony Vaccarello, they won't know who you're talking about... The person in the Celine logo, will much more likely know who Hedi is, they splashed out, even though the name will hardly be recognised by anyone. They're making a statement about their emotional resonance with Hedi's vision for Celine (I felt this with Teen Knight Poem, it really had an impact on me). That's what Hedi is achieving with this super-defense of the niche. The fact that it's not in Selfridges, Harvey Nicks or Harrods, etc. The fact there isn't a massive crowd-pleasing perfume. Celine is ultra-boutique. The name is seen in ads in the city, but then it has this total scarcity and if you actually want to pursue it you're going to need to at least visit the website and maybe go to a store, and then you'll have to find the item in stock, it's an exertion of effort. The people who aren't fussed will just by a Givenchy hoodie, that's how most designer fashion customers behave and Hedi has no interest in them.

Nobody really cares that middle class student types are wearing baggy jeans and north face nuptse coats, Tommy Hilfiger, guess and whatever else.

I mean, for the record, the people I see now wearing baggy jeans and oversized t shirts and skate shoes are at the youngest about 13, they're gonna have so much emotional attachment to this clothing through their youth (as I did and do). It's going to appear as classic and rebellious to them.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps. My brother and I dressed like we were out of the movie Kids when we were young teenagers. It felt rebellious and cool. We soon grew out of it though.

I think the logo is nice too. Hedi has a talent for that stuff. It's still awful though other than in very small doses (and preferably not at all).

21af4369792695a8f0d55d7cd01980c0@600x.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads