• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

godnose

Reaction score
That $11,000 Snowflake shearling?

this time it’s Ermmano Scervino getting ripped off.

At least Slimane is consistent that way.
are there other examples of ripping off that brand's design?

I don't think this is Hedi stealing from Ermanno Scervino. It's more likely that both designers are copying and reinterpetating Inuit style shearling coats / Native American styles and patterns. There will be coats that look just like that in clothing / design archives.

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
Can do without the camo and tracksuits. I also thought the use of Lisa in the show and the latest fragrance campaign to be too celeb-centric for Hedi. I get that Lisa sells but don't really need to see her everywhere

It looks like Peter Utz has wiped his IG clean without any new stories promoting the latest show. I wonder if he's still involved with the brand?

Finally, the styling of cosmic cruiser for MrPorter is tragic. A sign of defeat.
View attachment 1714167

Its definitely a departure for Hedi to use celebrity endorsements so I suspect this is what LVMH is demanding as many of Black pink are on the payroll in some capacity. They are everything to teenagers around the globe.

This seems like a joke but this is Mrporter's buy and geared to an entirely different generation. It appears they are making enough for Hedi to do experimental collections and they are selling out in California and Asian markets. Its actually more classic/elegant pieces that end up at outlets.

godnose

Reaction score
And just like that, the small selection of sale items is withdrawn from the website. 5 Days. That's all you get. It's working. I like the fact that Celine is defending its prices aggressively and not bunging everything 50% off for months on end. Celine is keeping its offering super exclusive. It's not a go-to designer name that people "out shopping" stumble across and buy. The Celine customer, for now, is very targeted and looking for Celine pieces. Hoping this stays the same, the (new) New Bond Street location takes the sheen off a little, but not all bad.

pockets

Reaction score
And just like that, the small selection of sale items is withdrawn from the website. 5 Days. That's all you get. It's working. I like the fact that Celine is defending its prices aggressively and not bunging everything 50% off for months on end. Celine is keeping its offering super exclusive. It's not a go-to designer name that people "out shopping" stumble across and buy. The Celine customer, for now, is very targeted and looking for Celine pieces. Hoping this stays the same, the (new) New Bond Street location takes the sheen off a little, but not all bad.

i think youre projecting a bit.

the way a lot of the bags and accessories are priced i would put them exactly in the category youre trying to separate from. to me hedi’s celine is still getting its positioning, people (like when you read through this thread) are still trying to make sense of it. its getting stronger season to season, and its nearly there, but its still got a bit to go. i keep saying that celine is multifaceted, but in the end all these houses are. the most lamest dude should be able to save for months to buy a celine cardholder. thats ok, thats the game.

i personally, dont mind exclusivity thats intrinsic to luxury, to a degree, but i dont want to be going through hoops and waitlists and unable to get the **** i want.

im still bummed i dont have that ******* argyle cardigan from fw19. to this day.

shoegazesummer

Reaction score
And just like that, the small selection of sale items is withdrawn from the website. 5 Days. That's all you get.
Still waiting on the US webstore to go on sale but if it's the same selection as the UK I don't mind if it ever does ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i keep saying that celine is multifaceted, but in the end all these houses are. the most lamest dude should be able to save for months to buy a celine cardholder. thats ok, thats the game.

i personally, dont mind exclusivity thats intrinsic to luxury,
Agree. I think this is a double edged sword. Similar to listening to an underground band or musical artist you like. You want them to succeed, but when they finally blow up in popularity the "hipster" impulse to say you "liked them before they were cool" has no weight whatsoever. People should always be happy for the artists they support to gain popularity to be able to support themselves on their art. Similar to fashion. Sure, it's cool to sometimes be able to wear something that has a "if you know you know" aura to it. But at the same time, personal style should not be dependent on wearing something just because it has an exclusive circle of people wearing it. Just wear whatever you like, even if that extremely corny dude is wearing CELINE sweatpants.

im still bummed i dont have that ******* argyle cardigan from fw19. to this day.
This type of FOMO/disappointment is the exact reason I started buying more pieces from Celine. I've mentioned the FW20 purple varsity jacket before, but there are a decent number of other pieces spread throughout the first few collections that retrospectively thinking about it I would have bought. When I first saw TDK there was a wave of emotion of "Is this what Hedi is going to be putting out going forward?" where I felt disappointed I didn't invest in buying any pieces from FW20 (a personal favorite Hedi collection). Prior to TDK the only Celine (let alone the only Hedi) piece I owned was the black bomber jacket. I decided I wanted to buy anything from the collections going forward that I felt very strongly towards.

I'm sure the business side of Celine absolutely loves fashion victims such as myself that shop this way. So now I just have to reign that urge in by making sure I spend a considerable amount of time thinking about if my wardrobe really needs whatever I'm considering.

pockets

Reaction score
Sure, it's cool to sometimes be able to wear something that has a "if you know you know" aura to it. But at the same time, personal style should not be dependent on wearing something just because it has an exclusive circle of people wearing it. Just wear whatever you like

my entire wardrobe is an arsenal, weapons appropriately selected daily, wielded and worn solely to gut an internet fashion nerd’s self esteem. their envy sustains me. their knowledge is their undoing, it fuels the poison, increasing the potency of my sartorial street style blitzkrieg as they read head to toe, piece by piece, how much it all costs.

shoegazesummer

Reaction score
my entire wardrobe is an arsenal, weapons appropriately selected daily, wielded and worn solely to gut an internet fashion nerd’s self esteem. their envy sustains me. their knowledge is their undoing, it fuels the poison, increasing the potency of my sartorial street style blitzkrieg as they read head to toe, piece by piece, how much it all costs.

This is pretty funny performance art

godnose

Reaction score
i think youre projecting a bit.

the way a lot of the bags and accessories are priced i would put them exactly in the category youre trying to separate from. to me hedi’s celine is still getting its positioning, people (like when you read through this thread) are still trying to make sense of it. its getting stronger season to season, and its nearly there, but its still got a bit to go. i keep saying that celine is multifaceted, but in the end all these houses are. the most lamest dude should be able to save for months to buy a celine cardholder. thats ok, thats the game.

i personally, dont mind exclusivity thats intrinsic to luxury, to a degree, but i dont want to be going through hoops and waitlists and unable to get the **** i want.

I don't know... None of the bags or accessories went on sale. Whether or not it's convenient for current Hedi / Celine fans, it's definitely not being made highly available. It just isn't. The ready-to-wear is not available anywhere except Mr Porter and Celine's own retail. I therefore think the Celine customer is very targetted, and the sale period lasting 5 days chimes with this; it's there only for the most committed people who check online in that time and they get just 5 days to get something at less than full price. Only Hedi would be so strict! One thing that is reasonably well-known, I suppose, is the women's handbags.

Just anecdotal, I was on a train and a group of young guys were talking about fashion; Gucci, Balenciaga, Louis Vuitton all came up. One of them complimented my jacket, I thanked him and, curious, I aksed if he knew where it was from. When I told him Celine, they all looked blank and hadn't heard of it. I was fairly pleased. It's kinda a bit more like, I don't know... Yohji Yamamoto (not Y-3), it's just not super known, but it's well regarded by those who do know (sorry if that's a really bad example, just can't think of anything else!)

Just to clarify I don't really want people to know where my things are from, I certainly don't want them to know what they cost. I wan't to look unusual and with taste, but I also want to be approachable. I do not want to make people anxious or feel intimidated. I mix my designer pieces with vintage things to try to achieve an approachable, softer feel.

If I could get it all vintage I would tbh, but alas the pool of vintage things available is just not great enough. Though I did manage to get a very nice 1960s (i am told it's 1960s, Vietnam era) camo hunting jacket / overshirt, which is very close to - but so much cooler than - the Celine camo overshirt from SS20 (I actually got it before), so that was an absolute win. Here is the Celine piece, and my vintyage one (acquired at one tenth of the cost, but brilliant old school quality).

Screenshot 2021-12-06 at 22.09.37.png Image cam.jpeg

BasicJB

Reaction score
I think RTW is just ordered and bought in limited quantities for the US. I went through the sale list recently and they only have 1-2 pieces left in each style (not sure if it's for the entire US or just my store though).

The buy list is also quite slim with just a size run of the most popular sizes for each store. Maybe the idea is to limit inventory and prevent massive sales at end of season, but I'm not sure how they plan to make money with RTW/shoes this way (either the profit margin is huge on each item or they are willing to make up for it from bags and fragrances). Perhaps the selling model is different for other regions but I'll wait for others to chime in

Last edited:

godnose

Reaction score
but I'm not sure how they plan to money with RTW/shoes this way (either the profit margin is huge on each item or they are willing to make up for it from bags and fragrances).

Yeh, this is it. I don't fully understand how it's working financially either. As I've pondered a few times, it can't - especially menswear - really be profitable. And as you say, there are perfumes, but they're not exactly radio-friendly-unit-shifters... Is all of this ultimately boosting handbag sales which bring in the big profits? Whatever is going on, I'm hoping so strongly that Hedi stays at Celine a long, long time. There must be so many more great collections to come.

Last edited:

youwhat

Reaction score
I don't know... None of the bags or accessories went on sale. Whether or not it's convenient for current Hedi / Celine fans, it's definitely not being made highly available. It just isn't. The ready-to-wear is not available anywhere except Mr Porter and Celine's own retail. I therefore think the Celine customer is very targetted, and the sale period lasting 5 days chimes with this; it's there only for the most committed people who check online in that time and they get just 5 days to get something at less than full price. Only Hedi would be so strict! One thing that is reasonably well-known, I suppose, is the women's handbags.

Just anecdotal, I was on a train and a group of young guys were talking about fashion; Gucci, Balenciaga, Louis Vuitton all came up. One of them complimented my jacket, I thanked him and, curious, I aksed if he knew where it was from. When I told him Celine, they all looked blank and hadn't heard of it. I was fairly pleased. It's kinda a bit more like, I don't know... Yohji Yamamoto (not Y-3), it's just not super known, but it's well regarded by those who do know (sorry if that's a really bad example, just can't think of anything else!)

Just to clarify I don't really want people to know where my things are from, I certainly don't want them to know what they cost. I wan't to look unusual and with taste, but I also want to be approachable. I do not want to make people anxious or feel intimidated. I mix my designer pieces with vintage things to try to achieve an approachable, softer feel.

If I could get it all vintage I would tbh, but alas the pool of vintage things available is just not great enough. Though I did manage to get a very nice 1960s (i am told it's 1960s, Vietnam era) camo hunting jacket / overshirt, which is very close to - but so much cooler than - the Celine camo overshirt from SS20 (I actually got it before), so that was an absolute win. Here is the Celine piece, and my vintyage one (acquired at one tenth of the cost, but brilliant old school quality).

View attachment 1715928 View attachment 1715931

its kind of 'duck' camouflage pattern (the celine) if wanting something even more similar.

godnose

Reaction score
its kind of 'duck' camouflage pattern (the celine) if wanting something even more similar.

Thanks man! Also "frog skin"; camo is a pretty fascinating topic and you can really geek out on the different types. I actually really love the "tiger" pattern. This particular one is my favourite :) xox

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always liked the oversized camo parka from SS16 if it didn't have the back design, as well as the SS15 camo jacket with gold trim. Not my style I'm too boring for camo but they looked cool.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads