• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

pham duc

Reaction score
i have a tough time trying to put these on, even harder than jacno 60, wyatt 40, any tip ?
74692478_2782731018413428_6578477248368607232_n.jpg

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read that piece in the WSJ yesterday about LVMH’s performance particularly in China. It’s interesting that LVMH positions its LV bags as middle-class accessible in China, of course, to skirt the Communist party’s opprobium on excessive luxury and gift-giving.

I suspect RTW is somewhat separate from this excessive-luxury bugaboo, since it’s a rather discreet signaling of codes, status, or dreamscapes.

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read that piece in the WSJ yesterday about LVMH’s performance particularly in China. It’s interesting that LVMH positions its LV bags as middle-class accessible in China, of course, to skirt the Communist party’s opprobium on excessive luxury and gift-giving.

I suspect RTW is somewhat separate from this excessive-luxury bugaboo, since it’s a rather discreet signaling of codes, status, or dreamscapes.
I do wonder if the cultural shift in policy will imperil Celine's performance in the Chinese market. I read this piece yesterday, which utterly blew my mind (not only in regard to Celine).
She wasn’t alone. Other Chinese entertainers also began to vanish as Chinese government regulators announced a “heightened crackdown” intended to dispense with “vulgar internet celebrities” promoting lascivious lifestyles and to “resolve the problem of chaos” created by online fandom culture. Those imitating the effeminate or androgynous aesthetics of Korean boyband stars—colorfully referred to as “xiao xian rou,” or “little fresh meat”—were next to go, with the government vowing to “resolutely put an end to sissy men” appearing on the screens of China’s impressionable youth.
https://palladiummag.com/2021/10/11/the-triumph-and-terror-of-wang-huning/

IMO the article is not just interesting with regard to what it says about Chinese society. The man it's describing wrote a book on America in the 1980's which sounds incredibly prescient, and became a bestseller in China after the Capitol attack debacle.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably biased by these recent posts, but I have never seen so much Celine in the American papers this morning (NYT, WSJ).

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably biased by these recent posts, but I have never seen so much Celine in the American papers this morning (NYT, WSJ).
What is the upshot of them?

I wish we had some Chinese posters in this thread, although maybe that's just my weird hobbyhorse. I was reading this article on Chinese leftist youth the other day and came across this interesting tidbit.
“Don’t forget your original intentions,” goes a famous Communist party slogan that, at the start of Xi’s second term, was posted on billboards in Beijing’s high-end shopping district of Sanlitun, displacing the iPhone adverts that usually sit there.
https://www.ft.com/content/fd087484-2f23-11e9-8744-e7016697f225

It just blows my mind the way the Chinese government is trying to walk the tightrope between developing its economy and not becoming American society with its blatant attendant pathologies.

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
The ease of just slipping on cowboy boots is unbeatable, don't even have to deal with a zipper or anything.

That's why I wear the Celine triomphe lows so much. Just hop in there in two second completely hands free. Can't go wrong with sneakers for that reason.

undercover rider // my everyday one - I love undercover & I think they’re especially good with outerwear - somehow Uc is overrated & underrated at the same time in my mind... haven’t found a lot of crossover from the sl / celine / dior fans with them which I find odd - maybe too “juvenile” for them? funny if that is the reason // has a p dope burgundy lining

I was eyeing that Dead Hermits double rider from UC a while ago. My main issue with them is their cut and sizing, which can look very off on a tall and skinny dude. I'm usually not getting the intended fit on their pieces and don't own much UC for that reason. Got some good graphic tees from them though.

What are the thoughts on the oversized varsity jacket? Did anyone get to see how it looks like in person?

View attachment 1684365 .

View attachment 1684367

Just seems too boring I think. I feel like Hedi has done more interesting outerwear than this one.

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While we're on the topic of non-hedi slimane leather jackets, this Prorsum one is really cool, although I'm not sure I like teh washed leather look that much.
7E724013D82746B793FF1F6084E5E5C6.jpg

How do you pronounce "Prorsum"btw? What does the word mean?

ViceofGucci

Reaction score
Prorsum means forward in latin. Lots of the jackets from prorsum had lots of cool jackets with the most famous being the black cropped quilted biker from SS2011. The jacket up top is from the same season and looks like something straight out of dior homme SS07.

Randeep

Reaction score
I grabbed the prorsum biker a few years ago and absolutely love it.

The thick washed/tumbled leather allows me to dress it more casually and worry less about scuffing it, wearing a backpack over it, or inclement weather, & I love all the details ... armour like quilting/oversized zippers/dual zips on the armholes, the diamond roller bars (not sure what they're called) on the neck. The jacket's significantly weightier than anything else I own.

IMG_2024 2.jpg

ASAPRice

Reaction score
I grabbed the prorsum biker a few years ago and absolutely love it.

The thick washed/tumbled leather allows me to dress it more casually and worry less about scuffing it, wearing a backpack over it, or inclement weather, & I love all the details ... armour like quilting/oversized zippers/dual zips on the armholes, the diamond roller bars (not sure what they're called) on the neck. The jacket's significantly weightier than anything else I own.

View attachment 1686736
lookin hella good, jacket perfect with the gloves n beanie

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads