• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

pockets

Reaction score
only mens line for chanel is cosmetics, boy de chanel

everything else you see on a dude is unisex at best

celine men can be super difficult to find, i think in part its due to distribution.

im in the us, and people forget that really apart from celine’s online store, a few other online retailers, celine mens is in basicly very few stores apart from their own, the exposure is very different when compared to how women’s wholesale is for comparison, let alone saint laurent etc. so their production is in part in line to me

godnose

Reaction score
But this guy is really showing off that kpop stars can cause an interest in the menswear too.

Probably from Kenzo's recent death in combination with hypebeast designer Nigo taking the reign causing an influx in people searching for the brand.

I do not like this aspect of "luxury" at all. It's flashy, wasteful, excessive and vulgar. It reminds me of the Malaysian investigation into corruption where the ex Prime Minister's wife was found to have 284 Hermes handbags and they were wheeling out trolleys full of them. The excessive consumption is just so tasteless and is really indicative of a scoail malaise. It does away with the art and beauty of fashion for me.

Picture for reference:

Screenshot 2021-09-28 at 21.04.17.png

My earlier comment re: the paucity of merchandise (menswear) on the website is nothing new, and not portending some imminent transfer to another house. It's been like that since day one, and maybe as others have noted, reflects the focus on womenswear, bags, and other accessories. If anything, I'd be favorably disposed toward Hedi leaving Celine. I'm superficial enough that the name Celine doesn't kill it for me! ha.

Here's a quick list of some houses/options and my insipid thoughts on each:
  • Return to Dior - impossible re: Kim Jones's success, but perhaps the KJ future, bright, big cartoon thing is a bit played out. I like the finer quality of Dior so would prefer HS at this house
  • Chanel Menswear - bold, creative, dark. Would love it, too. Riffing off of a new platform would be auspicious, however, I'd imagine the brand doesn't want to rock its boat of endless success
  • Hedi Slimane - always an option, although I always have had the feeling that Hedi is so enmeshed in the art, the photography, the design, that the whole logistics/organizational process may be too much or perhaps a bore
  • YSL - too weird, too done.
  • Lanvin - too low.
  • Karl Lagerfeld - too derivative, even odder
  • Bored of this list now

I for one really hope that Hedi stays at Celine and I think he will. But this kinda relates back to my first post on this forum: Celine menswear does seem to be a folly. I can't work where it delivers profit. RTW is usually loss-making and there's nowhere near enough of it with Celine Homme. And they're not using it as a halo for a mainstream perfume like most other houses do. I just don't really understand how economically it can exist. The handbags are clearly the cash cow, and having teen-inspired menswear is hardly driving sales of handbags. But - to make clear - I'm so glad Celine Homme exists! And if I am right, I hope there is room for folly in this world, and at LVMH.

Regarding the Celine label I see lots of Celine around in UK grime and hip hop, as well as in US hip hop, but I do think the name Celine was holding it back for a lot of men in the west because to most people it's not a desirable menswear brand due to the lack of recognition. A lot of people would rather wear Balenciaga sock trainers etc that are easily recognisable.

Again with reference to what I was saying above, I feel too that Celine is below the radar and unrecognised. But I really hope that the Balenciaga / Gucci boys don't jump on it. I'm hoping the feminine name Celine keeps them away. I like the rareness of the items. I like the fact its customers have to work a bit harder to get hold of it. It's not available in Selfridges, Harvey Nichols or Harrods and that for me makes it so much more valuable. I feel special wearing my Celine trainers and see people trying to work out what they are because they make a big statement and yet the name is totally unknown. For me Celine is my grail menswear brand: The Dancing Kid and Teen Knight Poem specifically. Cosmic Cruiser, less so. But yes, that's just me...

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent points godnose and I love the idea of allowing room for folly. That to me is a prerequisite for a lot of great creativity and not redoing the same old sops. Sometimes you can get lucky and hit the nail on the head, lightning in a bottle so to speak, but oftentimes one needs to take a stab and maybe you pick up on a zeitgeist and/or inspire others to disseminate it for you.

godnose

Reaction score
Excellent points godnose and I love the idea of allowing room for folly. That to me is a prerequisite for a lot of great creativity and not redoing the same old sops. Sometimes you can get lucky and hit the nail on the head, lightning in a bottle so to speak, but oftentimes one needs to take a stab and maybe you pick up on a zeitgeist and/or inspire others to disseminate it for you.

Hey, thanks! It might be that Hedi insists on doing menswear (for whatever reason, artistically, personally) and that this is part of the deal he struck with LVMH and that even if it is a net loss, his clout in womenswear and women's lines (handbags and so on) will more than make up for it, such that if they got another designer who axed the menswear, while they would make a saving there, perhaps they would not be able to deliver the profit in the women's lines which more than makes up for the loss on menswear. Just a thought! I just can't imagine LVMH being driven by anything other than profit, so can't see them tolerating a folly, unless a theory like this was at play.

shoegazesummer

Reaction score
I do not like this aspect of "luxury" at all. It's flashy, wasteful, excessive and vulgar.

The excessive consumption is just so tasteless and is really indicative of a social malaise. It does away with the art and beauty of fashion for me.

The sad thing about the photo, though, is that the guy looks like he is maybe in his mid teens and therefore probably has yet to develop a strong sense of personal style. So he just buys Celine clothes because it's expensive. And that posting the picture online isn't a way to flaunt "status" but to flaunt his excessive (monetary) dedication to Lisa. Which, like other posters have mentioned, is hard to tell whether the right emotion to feel is second-hand embarrassement or to feel sad for him. Regardless, it is an indulgence for sure that makes it obvious he's missing the art and beauty of fashion which makes Hedi great. Kinda like how so many people buy Gucci belts to flaunt them but being oblivious to what Alessandro Michele has done to the brand's overall vision or even his name. But if that kind of indulgence is keeping Celine sales up and helping keep Hedi at Celine for us to see more of what he's thinking then I'm certainly not too mad about it - as long as he isn't the one causing the items I want to buy to be sold out lol.

And if that instagram user is on this forum thread right now I would give a suggestion that he should spend a lot more time on an in depth introspection concerning what he personally enjoys wearing and why and a lot less time buying things just because a kpop star is the brand ambassador!

I'm hoping the feminine name Celine keeps them away

I honestly don't even find Celine to be that feminine of a brand name, but that's just me. Maybe I'm biased as I never kept up with the brand when Phoebe Philo was heading it so the main association I have with it is with Hedi.

@#))@#))

Reaction score
Jumping into the fray (and RIP Thorns), I love and support Celine simply because Hedi (and his clearly talented team) continues to produce a coherent, well fitting, and timeless wardrobe for men. Could be a fetish but Vacarello's menswear team seems less focused and I can usually pick out post Hedi SL items pretty easily.

Even when the Celine collection is more fanciful (CC is perhaps the most far out, FUN), there are many individual pieces that are basic but well fitting and aesthetically considered in a manner otherwise lacking. I love Heidi's Ralph in 70s Paris (2020 collections) and while some of the pieces are slightly costume, it's a strong alternative to actually buying Ralph, which is cool but not as fun or severe.

The CC stuff looks a lot like Keith Richards in the South of France meets 90s ravers, and that's not a terrible idea. Those are culturally important moments. Given that Hedi clearly wears Levis and Levis are amazing I don't fully understand some of the denim washes? unless they are kick start for additional fun. The denim washes sometimes make me wonder if he's a little off.

shoegazesummer

Reaction score
Was feeling kinda meh on the sunglasses in CC but now they remind me of Lou Reed's sunglasses which is great.

AE757DE9-6EED-4BD8-9D21-5C08DB7A4371.png
B894EEF8-FC18-463A-984E-AE8D87FACDC3.gif

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The overhyped brand Jacques marie mage released a model a year or so ago called the white light that's quite similar.

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
I do not like this aspect of "luxury" at all. It's flashy, wasteful, excessive and vulgar. It reminds me of the Malaysian investigation into corruption where the ex Prime Minister's wife was found to have 284 Hermes handbags and they were wheeling out trolleys full of them. The excessive consumption is just so tasteless and is really indicative of a scoail malaise. It does away with the art and beauty of fashion for me.

Picture for reference:

View attachment 1676675

I really can't imagine living like that. Obviously because I'm not rich but also because I'm constantly pressuring myself into selling items if they're too similar to what I already have, and one of the items is just "better." I think that's where I have the most fun with this whole fashion thing too, to get a closet full of items I really enjoy wearing through trial and error.

merkwurdigliebe

Reaction score
I've been posting a lot of Hedi stuff for sale this year and have to say that business has been quite slow compared to 2020. I chalk it up to people spending their money on things like vacations and travelling now that more places are opening back up in one way or another.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics