• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BasicJB really nice ensemble there, and I hear you, that's about the best one can do marrying a denim shirt with jeans! Makes me regret not picking up the passat belt a while back.

I sent the SLP version of the western shirt back, as the buttons were too gaudy for me, and although the lighter shade in fact was easier to pair with my other pieces, I wasn't too crazy about it all in all. I think my favorite think about Celine and SLP's pieces is that they're made in Japan, heh, although you make them look better.

I have a beautiful Dior denim shirt from maybe 2014 but it has regular (for lack of a better term) buttons and is a richer, darker blue/grey tone from maybe the first couple years of KVA's reign. I barely wear it as it's a bit of an awkward spot as not quite professional enough for most of my settings and when casual I'm usually in jeans so to the aforementioned point can be somewhat cowboy-uber-alles.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thorns those are some great pics. Makes me want to break out the blazers and I need to get to a Celine boutique so that I can purchase one from the brand and get it tailored. I'm 41, too, so blazer and jeans with a sharp dress shirt is so easy for me to don. My SL blazers are great, but er toward the darker palette, and I could infuse some more professorial brown although it's a fine line before aging oneself.

One other point of alignment, Saint Germain Des Près is probably the least likely for me to wear in the perfumery. Thinking about my personal ensembles, here's how I usually style them:
  • Parade - a little more flair for the day, think adding a Hermes scarf with a sharp blazer
  • Black Tie - suit, any sharp tailoring
  • Reptile - leather, SL forward look
  • Cologne Française - slim cashmere sweater over dress shirt, any darker tailoring too
  • Nightclubbing - weekend, a little more grunge
  • Eau de Californie - west LA, really into the arts with earth tones and a touch of sprezzatura
  • La Peau Nue - brighter look, Kim Jones or a light hoodie/white shirt vibe
  • Dans Paris - rarely worn as has been appropriated by my wife, however, when I do wear it's KVA jeans, Dior style
  • Saint-Germain-Des-Près - somewhat more regimented, geometric patterns, not sure what to do with it. Am I exuding bibliophile or am I an old library

papillo

Reaction score
Yes, wearing La Peau Nue today and it's blending perfect with a softer, Kim Jones Dior look I'm wearing.

Bonus question, which western shirt do you prefer, the one by HV (Hedi/Helmut Vaccarello) or by HS chez Celine:

View attachment 1594433
View attachment 1594436

Celine
View attachment 1594434
View attachment 1594435
BasicJB really nice ensemble there, and I hear you, that's about the best one can do marrying a denim shirt with jeans! Makes me regret not picking up the passat belt a while back.

I sent the SLP version of the western shirt back, as the buttons were too gaudy for me, and although the lighter shade in fact was easier to pair with my other pieces, I wasn't too crazy about it all in all. I think my favorite think about Celine and SLP's pieces is that they're made in Japan, heh, although you make them look better.

I have a beautiful Dior denim shirt from maybe 2014 but it has regular (for lack of a better term) buttons and is a richer, darker blue/grey tone from maybe the first couple years of KVA's reign. I barely wear it as it's a bit of an awkward spot as not quite professional enough for most of my settings and when casual I'm usually in jeans so to the aforementioned point can be somewhat cowboy-uber-alles.

While you couldn't go wrong with either choice. I preferred the wash and stitching of the SLP one. There is something about the Celine that looks a lil too close/authentic to traditional western shirts. I do prefer the buttons on the celine one though.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In addition to thinking about pairing fragrances with clothes, I think they can also be viewed as an olfactory filter applied to your presentation. The same fragrance will apply that filter to multiple different clothing styles. I break down the filters in my wardrobe very simplistically like this. Each fragrance is more complex than how I have them categorized.

Low key
  • Eau de Californie
Cozy
  • Cologne Blanche
  • Dior Homme Cologne
Sporty
  • Higher
  • Fahrenheit 32
Sexy
  • Dior Homme
  • Eau Noire
Elegant
  • Parade (warmest, cozy)
  • Bois d'Argent (middle)
  • Cologne Française (coldest, edgy)
Edgy
  • Nightclubbing
  • Reptile
I think Dans Paris, La Peau Nue, and Saint-Germain-des-Prés would be cozy; and Black Tie would be sexy.

I can imagine someone choosing one signature fragrance for all their outfits. I just prefer to have different filters to play around with.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like I melt a little when I smell Parade. It just feels like a citrus spa scent. Although Hedi's previous Dior Homme Cologne also shares the neroli, I feel like the drydown of both Parade and Dior Homme Cologne are different enough to justify owning both. Parade leans sophisticated and posh, while Dior Homme Cologne leans cozy and plush, as it shares a similar dry down to Dior Homme. If I only had to choose one then I would pick Parade as it is smoother and smells more luxe.

I imagine it matches this atmosphere:
1618723322911.png

1618723332503.png

I am curious which bottle I will empty the fastest and need a backup. I'm going to guess that I will spray Eau de Californie and Parade the most often.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Japanese Hedi fan recreating looks with vintage or custom made pieces

Interesting seeing him find an 80s track suit jacket to modify with leopard panels

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads