• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

BasicJB

Reaction score
I no longer expect Hedi to"design" anything fresh or innovative, and I doubt we will ever experience the same creative energy as his YSL (not SLP) and Dior Homme days.

Despite all that, I'm still a loyal (or somewhat regular lol) customer because there's always something covetable for me, and his clothes fit me better than any other brands. I know I can get something similar from Zara or the thrift stores but I don't really care...heck I prob won't even be interested in the same garment if it said Gucci or Balenciaga on the label. I'm a total label whore buying into branding and the mythology but that's fine with me.

So from a creative perspective, I agree with all the criticism but it doesn't stop me from liking his vision (for the most part!). Also, let's be honest, there's nothing that creative anyways in mainstream fashion these day, it's just different marketing strategies.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No mention of the maroquinerie which is the core of the celine brand. Compared to bottega venetta (a rival brand), it seems like it's still dragging behind and the little influence and cultural caché that hedi had with his "bourgois" creations now seems to be completely gone in favor of the silhouettes and aesthetics that venetta is introducing to the industry. It makes LVMH really look stupid for ditching the Phoebe Philo thing they had going for them in favor the dying Hedi fad.
I have seen quite a few girls rocking the monogram bags out on the street, but I am probably biased and my eyes are extra sensitive to them. A lot of the girls posting on RED about Celine seem to be posting about their hand bags. I do think it is tough since they're selling a "new" monogram competing with LV. I've heard people say things like, "Why should I buy a monogram bag from Celine if I can get one from LV?" I'm confident that as more celebrities rock it, consumers will start to want one. One of the main things girls say about the coated canvas is that it is hard wearing and good for an everyday option.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Hedi is brilliant in how both genders can wear from either men's or women's. This women's jacket looks pretty good on men and is more subdued than the men's offerings.
IMG_7537.JPG

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although society has moved on, my heart is still stuck in the 2010s.
1618559124991.png

This '50s-era look—the film was made in the late '70s but set in the '50s—pays homage to the iconic greaser subculture of the decade made popular by stars like James Dean and, of course, the characters in question. It later hit the fashion world with a vengeance in the 2010s. An edgy riff on the classic pairing spurred something in the heart of Hedi Slimane during his tenure at Saint Laurent, decorating his runways more than once. At the same time, the formula of t-shirt + jeans + leather jacket served as the philosophy behind off-duty model style that dominated our Tumblr pages circa 2014.
1618559156940.png

1618559169247.png

The pairing of a well-fitted t-shirt and cigarette tapered pant—whether that be denim or cotton—is like yin and yang, chocolate and peanut butter, sunshine and lemonade. On top of these fundamental wardrobe staples, add a leather jacket, and through an allusion to the badass-ery of icons like Danny Zuko and those who preceded or followed him, you have a cool yet classic look.
In a decade, I wonder if this will be the look that comes back in fashion. Youth reminiscing about the 2010s, and making fun of their parents wearing cropped wide legged pants.

However, I have to say this is a very cool template idea: short cropped jacket/coat, short fitted top, high waisted relaxed cut cropped trousers, combat boots.
1618559327249.png

1618559368717.png

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing La Peau Nue on skin right now and for sure I can get Hedi's idea of this being what he imagines 70s female movie stars smelling like. It smells very elegant and posh without smelling disgusting and like an old lady. There is however a slightly "cold" attitude about her. I do like the restraint used for this fragrance, and it doesn't lean 100% feminine because of the bitter freshness of the vetiver. This is the the grandchild of someone who wears Chanel's women's perfume. There is the idea of this individual having "good taste" and being bred from a wealthy family. I'm too trashy to carry this fragrance myself, but I definitely wouldn't hate smelling this on someone else.
1618566270702.png

I like this review:
a stunningly beautiful combination of orris butter and rose. smooth as silk; powdery, but not in any way scratchy or suffocating. this is definitely on the makeup side of orris' many facets; the finest milled pressed powder, or the most creamy-soft and buttery lipstick. the rose tames it into a slick of pink and beige skin shades, lightly effervesced by the merest sparkle of bergamot in the opening. incredibly minimal yet executed perfectly. by the point of late dry down, the orris is less buttery and takes on a more traditionally musky-powdery facet. with the vetiver, which introduces itself gradually and subtly, the rose becomes dried and brittle, almost reduced to a pale powder itself. there is also a touch of vanilla as well that begins to emerge. it does seem to augment and sweeten the rose a touch, but again, only so far as to support the main duet and not disturb it. it is, overall, akin to the description, of being like watching a photo de-saturate from overexposure to light and age, or a memory gradually fade to white static. quite nostalgic and melancholic in a way. longevity seems amazing, but it mostly stays close to the skin aside from the opening. that aside, all in all, perfection to my nose.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads