• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

Bryan55

Reaction score
So wait, I’m confused. So supposedly the Celine brand is doing “terrible” and “in real trouble” according to DJR but multiple people have post positive comments and quotes from legit sources and earnings reports from LVMH’s 2020 year end finical reports noting that Celine has been a big positive and been a large leader last year, as well as so far the 21-22 FW collections for both men and women have been received positively.

lrc75006

Reaction score
https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2021-ready-to-wear/celine

Teenage French girl Disney princess style. See, Sarah Mower at Vogue agrees with us lol

Sarah Mower and Vogue (amongst others) like having jobs and not writing bad reviews about mediocre clothes is just part of the job when pleasing the advertisers that are helping to keep these sites and publications afloat. Honest reviews from critics are a thing of the past, or at least very very rare.

DJR you sound like you care even more about this than thorns, just at the other end of the spectrum

Except you guys worship at the alter of HS, so it's ok if Thorns does it.

lrc75006

Reaction score
Let's be honest, the clothes are lazy and are a true reflection of what people are already wearing these days. Nothing groundbreaking, nothing to truly move fashion forward. But let's call it what it is. Trying to find a deeper meaning in these clothes is just embarrassing.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sarah Mower and Vogue (amongst others) like having jobs and not writing bad reviews about mediocre clothes is just part of the job when pleasing the advertisers that are helping to keep these sites and publications afloat. Honest reviews from critics are a thing of the past, or at least very very rare.
I have to agree with you. But, who really cares about a "critic's" opinion? Just from the whole Saint Laurent debacle it exposed how ignorant they are. Literally ignorant of the brand's history, and their prediction that it would tank was so wrong.

People should just trust in their own instincts and dress accordingly to their narrative. Why let yourself be swayed either way by a "critic".

Let's be honest, the clothes are lazy and are a true reflection of what people are already wearing these days. Nothing groundbreaking, nothing to truly move fashion forward. But let's call it what it is. Trying to find a deeper meaning in these clothes is just embarrassing.
If we're going to call it what it is then I will say you're exhibiting splitting.
Splitting is a term used in psychiatry to describe the inability to hold opposing thoughts, feelings, or beliefs. Some might say that a person who splits sees the world in terms of black or white—all or nothing.
Continuing to call it what it is, I would agree with you that Hedi's work lacks "innovation", but this doesn't mean it is "bad". Not everyone wants to dress avant-garde, or move fashion forward. Some people just want luxe basics, and there is nothing wrong with that. I think avant-garde and luxe basics can both coexist in this fashion world. I'm not sure why you're so insistent in your intolerance. I am curious where all this pent up resentment comes from. It is obvious this is deeply bothering you.

lrc75006

Reaction score
I have to agree with you. But, who really cares about a "critic's" opinion? Just from the whole Saint Laurent debacle it exposed how ignorant they are. Literally ignorant of the brand's history, and their prediction that it would tank was so wrong.

People should just trust in their own instincts and dress accordingly to their narrative. Why let yourself be swayed either way by a "critic".

If we're going to call it what it is then I will say you're exhibiting splitting.

Continuing to call it what it is, I would agree with you that Hedi's work lacks "innovation", but this doesn't mean it is "bad". Not everyone wants to dress avant-garde, or move fashion forward. Some people just want luxe basics, and there is nothing wrong with that. I think avant-garde and luxe basics can both coexist in this fashion world. I'm not sure why you're so insistent in your intolerance. I am curious where all this pent up resentment comes from. It is obvious this is deeply bothering you.

Personally, I don't see critics as being necessary, at least not these days regarding fashion. I buy and wear what I want, regardless of whether or not Vogue or Sarah Mower approves. My point here, however, was that her seal of approval was used as if to say it's a great collection.

And no, I'm not splitting, but thanks for the vocabulary lesson. I'm not saying his work is bad per se, however, reading the comments here it is very much the Emperor's New Clothes, to me. It's funny that you call me out tho for my "insistent intolerance" when the same can be said for the countless pages of your dissecting every single design this man has made as of late. You can't look outside of yourself and how much you love HS to just say that the clothes are well crafted basics in nice fabrics. There has to be an understanding of why he is doing it and how he has tapped into this new culture of getting dressed and going as far as to try and enter the man's mind for how and why he designs what he does. Page after page of who is wearing what bag and what his whole new Celine world means.

I'm not bothered, to be honest. But I could say the same toward you, I suppose, that you are given the staunch defense of him on this thread.

Louis Louis

Reaction score
reading the comments here it is very much the Emperor's New Clothes, to me

I said that many pages ago.
The first women seasons were classic and chic, but this... it looks like Glastonbury outfit / russian receptionnist. You don't need to put a castle behind if your designs are good enough. Anyway, they're clearly aiming at asian market, the only one still alive (it saved luxury watch sector this year).

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I don't see critics as being necessary, at least not these days regarding fashion. I buy and wear what I want, regardless of whether or not Vogue or Sarah Mower approves. My point here, however, was that her seal of approval was used as if to say it's a great collection.
Is it though? Take a look again at what was said. All that was brought up was how she shared the same Disney princess feeling that two other individuals felt from the presentation. The leap in your logic to make such a stretch is really embarrassing.

It's funny that you call me out tho for my "insistent intolerance" when the same can be said for the countless pages of your dissecting every single design this man has made as of late.
Wow, first of all I should say I'm flattered to have been living in your head rent free with my words stewing in your head. I also am flattered you would consider my random thoughts as a dissection of Hedi's pieces. It feels pretty superficial in my eyes, as I feel I mostly just say "cool piece" or "it looks good". I am however confused how when I'm saying pieces are "cool" or "cute" shows me being intolerant? This feels like another leap in logic. Your arguments are starting to reek of desperation.

You can't look outside of yourself and how much you love HS to just say that the clothes are well crafted basics in nice fabrics.
I'm wondering if you're confusing me and lumping me with someone else? I feel like I've mentioned multiple times they are luxe basics, and how Hedi's design philosophy can coexist with other more avant-garde designers in this sphere.

There has to be an understanding of why he is doing it and how he has tapped into this new culture of getting dressed and going as far as to try and enter the man's mind for how and why he designs what he does.
You're upset that I don't think Hedi is randomly designing pieces with no meaning behind what he's doing?

Page after page of who is wearing what bag.
If sharing pictures of other people rocking Celine pieces is a sin, then I'm guilty as charged. Lock me up. I do find it curious why you wouldn't put my account on ignore if you were bothered. I can only assume that you find value in my posts to keep subjecting yourself to them...or perhaps you are a masochist.

I'm not bothered, to be honest. But I could say the same toward you, I suppose, that you are given the staunch defense of him on this thread.
Who are you trying to convince? Me or yourself? It clearly isn't convincing me.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first women seasons were classic and chic, but this... it looks like Glastonbury outfit / russian receptionnist. You don't need to put a castle behind if your designs are good enough. Anyway, they're clearly aiming at asian market, the only one still alive (it saved luxury watch sector this year).
I think it is fine to dislike Hedi's work, but the logic you use is ridiculous. Taking your logic further, if the design is "good enough", it wouldn't even need a presentation in the first place. All you need is a white page with the pieces with zero context. No narrative. No story. What ridiculous crude reductionist thinking. Luckily for LVMH, you're not their consultant advising them on business operations.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find the back-and-forth banter good reading and would be loathe to lose DJR's insider viewpoint vis-a-vis Thorns more ethereal waxing. The majority of the posters here are Hedi fans based on a history of his oeuvre so it's not as though we're the avant-garde set.

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m far from a Hedi fanboy but I am a fan of reading comprehension. Thorns has repeatedly posted pieces he explicitly doesn’t care for and wouldn’t wear but at the same time he tries to understand the inspiration for another kind of taste. To simply ignore the nuances of his posts indicates either an obsessive indignation about some perceived betrayal of your former hero or an inability to read carefully.

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
The best part of new collections is definitely reading this thread afterwards.

Most people on here don't care that Hedi doesn't come up with anything new. Barely anyone cares that it isn't groundbreaking and it's weird that the conversation comes up so often.

I personally think the collection is cool. It feels like the FW version of the last womens collection, which I really liked. I love the jeans and some of the footwear options seems quite nice, like the black western type boot. I'm happy they didn't go the route of the last menswear collection.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is usually the time when people start asking when TKP will start becoming available.

I have noticed the webstore is flush with new merchandise but mostly from DK, collaborations, and the seemingly wildly popular monochrome collections.

Deonfate

Reaction score
I really want to voice my support for DJR to keep posting. I'm not really connected with the retail side of the business, I'm more from the creative and product development side. Fashion products quality have been in steep decline, and I'm always curious to see how they perform commercially while these brands keep charging those same fashion prices.

I really hope that the milan store isn't closing, that would really mean that hedi would soon be out. Despite my criticism, I'm still rooting for him and I don't want him to emerge defeated from this cold war against Saint Laurent. I don't want to see the corporate side beating a creative with his own vision. Especially after he has been drained and put his heart and soul into the SL project that even he cannot move along.

With that being said, emphasis on the words "hedi slimane creations" on the financial report. I think they're referring to hoodies and bucket hats that celine managed to sell a lot of lately. No mention of the maroquinerie which is the core of the celine brand. Compared to bottega venetta (a rival brand), it seems like it's still dragging behind and the little influence and cultural caché that hedi had with his "bourgois" creations now seems to be completely gone in favor of the silhouettes and aesthetics that venetta is introducing to the industry. It makes LVMH really look stupid for ditching the Phoebe Philo thing they had going for them in favor the dying Hedi fad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads