• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting that Hedi chose a side zip variation instead of Chelsea for this type of boot
1618423130231.png

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The British outdoor wardrobe married fairy-tale dressing
Performed by Regina Demina, the excellent electro soundtrack reiterated the words “je fais un day dream,” but most of the garments were anything but follies. Au contraire, Slimane’s collection was largely rooted in the no-fuss, authentic British heritage wardrobe, which, days before his funeral, had to make you think of Prince Philip. They were styled in a bourgeois Parisian way but nonetheless as rooted in reality as outdoor classics come: a herringbone coat, a tweed shooting jacket, a hunting boot, an olive parka, ’80s Sloane-y denim trousers, and magnified versions Slimane called “The Jumbo”. Speckled amongst those paragons of country dressing were figments of fantasy: liberally embroidered dresses, sparkly gowns, and crinolines so rigid they felt lifted off a porcelain figurine.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If not careful, one bad thing about riding boots is that it can make your legs look stumpy and visually shorten them.
1618432606072.png

Maybe if the boot shaft was shorter
1618433145536.png

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still remember that Hedi Slimane just took over Celine three years ago is the accepted questioning and criticism, some people say that he does not respect the brand history, some people say that he does not keep up with the times and still use the set of Saint Laurent, and even nothing new to him. The design does not hold any expectations. However, gradually, I believe that both inside and outside the industry have been conquered by this evolutionary Celine attitude, bid farewell to the tightness and restraint of the past, but retain the French retro, arrogant and personal preference for rock and roll style, the new Celine style is comfortable and not losing its attitude.

Seems like the "Insiders" has started to realize how distinct Celine is from Saint Laurent.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1618445031359.png

When TikTok speaks, Celine listens. Well, at least, when Gen Z is speaking about skinny jeans being out. On Wednesday, Celine (virtually) presented its Winter '21 collection, and baggy jeans made up more than a few looks.

Funny how the media is spinning this black and white narrative. I guess humans understand black and white easier.

Couple of issues to clear up. Hedi still pairs skinny jeans when tucked into boots. Hedi has "ditched" skinny jeans in women's fw19, relegating them to being used when tucked in boots.
1618445284931.png

Only person wearing skinny jeans for ss20 men's show was Hedi.
1618445437855.png

Again for women's ss20, skinny jeans for tucking inside boots only.
1618445520938.png

Same for resort 2020.
1618445591301.png

fw20 had Dylans which feels like a combination of skinny + cropped flare. Not exactly true skinny.
1618445750677.png

There is a return of skinny jeans for men in ss21.
Zero pairs of skinny jeans for women ss21.

Resort 2021, skinny jeans for tucking inside boots
1618445944136.png

men's fw21 had Dylans and skinny fits still, mostly tucked into boots
1618446146252.png

1618446180522.png

1618446198853.png

1618446264530.png

fw21 women
1618447436007.png

black skinny jeans in boots to match men's fw21, never shown for women's collection and new for fw21
1618446712514.png

This means this is nothing revolutionary or new, so thank god there is internal consistency and it doesn't seem like Hedi flip flops. I enjoy the fact a girl can pair her fw19 pieces with fw21. It just feels like good design. Then again this comes from a perspective that values a "minimalistic" wardrobe and versatility in pieces.

Last edited:

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/fall-2021-ready-to-wear/celine

Teenage French girl Disney princess style. See, Sarah Mower at Vogue agrees with us lol
It ran after quotes from Baudelaire, Paul Verlaine, and Arthur Rimbaud—France’s decadent, libertine poets eternally famed for exalting the excess and pain of misspent youth.
I wonder if people remember Hedi mentioning Baudelaire and Rimbaud when he was talking about Parade, the fragrance.

1618447099445.png

I can see the juxtaposition of those statues with the modern Celine girl as a visual representation of the transmission of that Parisian spirit. The clothing also show this by incorporating pieces people describe as from the Celine girl's mom's or grandma's closet and remixing it for the modern era.

Last edited:

DJR

Reaction score
I can't disagree with you that SS13 is one of the best, if not the best. With that said, I think comparisons are interesting to see and maybe take a peek inside Hedi's mind and help differentiate Saint Laurent with Celine.

I know you're using hyperbole here, but I do have to agree that Hedi's Celine is not resonating with the "West" as much as Hedi's Saint Laurent. It is being kept afloat by both LVMH and Asia. If we're being honest, Asia is the one that keeps most brands afloat. I empathize with you as it is hard to see this with only a Eurocentric perspective.

It doesn't take a genius to see that Hedi's womenswear at Celine is stronger compared to his Saint Laurent womenswear. It is significantly more approachable for the average luxury consumer. Hedi's only criticism at Saint Laurent was how his womenswear struggled significantly. However, brand name matters. Celine is basically starting from scratch. It doesn't have the social status that Dior or YSL has. The fact that people still use YSL unironically proves how much cultural weight that brand has despite struggling for years before Hedi came to restore it.

I'm not sure if you've been paying attention but Hedi's Celine narrative is significantly different than Hedi's Saint Laurent narrative. Although Saint Laurent and Celine may sell similar types of clothing, it is wrapped around a different narrative. So much so that Hedi's Saint Laurent fans aren't interested in his Celine. Of course, you can ignore all of that and just treat it as clothes. Hedi and Peter looks similar in Saint Laurent or Celine. However, most people don't see past the marketing so they're buying into the brand's narrative when they choose either Saint Laurent or Celine. I don't think there is a problem with wanting to beat other brands, and I'm not sure why you think Hedi is only targeting SL.

Bla Bla Bla. I can’t stand these rationalization you-don’t-see-the -ever-clear-pastures-and-Babylon -gates-you-don’t-understand- the - nuance crap. Please stop posturing like you’re some demigod who has an elevated perspective. I hate this. It so snobby and just reeks of pedestal-idol worship. Eurocentric? I don’t know what the hell you’re talking about. Maybe your own projection into your post. Excuse me but get bent. Respectfully.

Um. Yeah. It’s clothes. They make them to sell. Elevated aesthetic superiority artistic nuance donkey ass rhetoric aside.

Everyone inside the industry (myself included) knows Slimane is obsessed with his former employer. It’s pathological. Slimane isn’t the type of person who lets things go. It’s total war. Duh. What you see publicly pales in comparison to the sheer animus behind the scenes.

And for all of you making small out of Milan closing the women’s store, you can respectfully keep your head in the sand where it belongs. The Paris Operations Office for the brand is in full pitch scramble panic mode. Wholesaling boxes of ready to wear for women’s at massive discounts.

Maybe I’ll just disappear for a while. You all aren’t ready for the truth. At first I thought this would be a good place to vent and simultaneously share tidbits (as permitted) that aren’t known publically so you all can save your money or be more objective or just be more informed about how bad things are, but seriously the idol worship needs to stop.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bla Bla Bla. I can’t stand these rationalization you-don’t-see-the -ever-clear-pastures-and-Babylon -gates-you-don’t-understand- the - nuance crap. Please stop posturing like you’re some demigod who has an elevated perspective. I hate this. It so snobby and just reeks of pedestal-idol worship. Eurocentric? I don’t know what the hell you’re talking about. Maybe your own projection into your post. Excuse me but get bent. Respectfully.

Um. Yeah. It’s clothes. They make them to sell. Elevated aesthetic superiority artistic nuance donkey ass rhetoric aside.

Everyone inside the industry (myself included) knows Slimane is obsessed with his former employer. It’s pathological. Slimane isn’t the type of person who lets things go. It’s total war. Duh. What you see publicly pales in comparison to the sheer animus behind the scenes.

And for all of you making small out of Milan closing the women’s store, you can respectfully keep your head in the sand where it belongs. The Paris Operations Office for the brand is in full pitch scramble panic mode. Wholesaling boxes of ready to wear for women’s at massive discounts.

Maybe I’ll just disappear for a while. You all aren’t ready for the truth. At first I thought this would be a good place to vent and simultaneously share tidbits (as permitted) that aren’t known publically so you all can save your money or be more objective or just be more informed about how bad things are, but seriously the idol worship needs to stop.
This is the most hilariously worded reply, so I can't even hate. Do whatever you think is right for you. I'm not going to stand in the way of your mission.

Reaction score

This is on the level of like...the kid you knew in elementary school who said his uncle worked for Nintendo or something, and he claimed to have all the super secret inside knowledge.

Malour

Reaction score
Great show, location and clothes are great. I love that Celine keeps making pretty similar looks for men and women.
And the music .. Très, très cool.
Loved it all.

Lit Harington

Reaction score
on another note, the "British outdoor wardrobe married fairy-tale dressing" line is exactly how i felt about the show, to the point where it is the first celine show in a while that I can relate to (being a brit). particularly the outdoorsy-jackets-over-ball-dresses looks, which is what my hungover female friends would be wearing the morning after someone's 21st birthday.
1618474881909.png

Last edited:

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think Celine has to be Saint Laurent at all to be viable. I think Celine helps with the "French Girl" aesthetic that many luxury consumers aspire to channel. The way Hedi does it at Celine feels a lot less corny and tacky.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads