• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would guess the shells on top right is Celine. The colour perfectly matches ss21 men's. The bottom left could work for ss21 women's, but it doesn't feel Celine, but I have zero clue.

I would guess the the top left surfer is Saint Laurent with that aged patina. The bottom right is much cleaner/polished and fits Celine's narrative better. More chic and sophisticated.

I have a question, who copied who? Who released these pieces first?

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow maybe there is something to DJR's point about YSL vs Celine being a somewhat head-to-head battle on even the personal level. I assumed that it were more than they're playing in a similar space due to a certain former or current designer, but this looks like a good laugh or a more visceral combativeness!

My hyper-reductionist take between the two current, which is a very personal view:
  • SL: darker, sexier, better fits, less inspired
  • Celine: want to love it, more interesting, brown or rainbow, clunkier fits

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, Celine's ss21 show came in July 29, 2020. Saint Laurent's ss21 show came in September 9, 2020. Case closed. Another example of Anthony ripping off Hedi's Celine. DJR should switch around the wording. I will help him.

I like Anthony, but his obsession with Hedi's Celine is the sole reason and only reason Saint Laurent is a near dead in the water house artistically. He’s totally fixated and obsessed with beating Celine.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't there a thread about AV focusing 99% of his energies on womenswear ($$$) and bringing in Helmut Lang to do light updates to the Hedi aesthetic each menswear season?

Louis Louis

Reaction score
It's like a ping pong game, we have YSL at the Sacré-Cœur then Celine at Chambord.

One silver surfer for Celine, 2 brass surfers for YSL...

comp.jpg

Trixz

Reaction score
Well it took a little while but now I’m jumping on the scent train. If you guys could recommend only two scents what would they be and why? I know there has been deep discussion and posts about this already, so I’m happy to receive links to those if you have them handy but if I was to go back solo I’d be in the weeds of throns!

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well it took a little while but now I’m jumping on the scent train. If you guys could recommend only two scents what would they be and why? I know there has been deep discussion and posts about this already, so I’m happy to receive links to those if you have them handy but if I was to go back solo I’d be in the weeds of throns!
Ignoring the fact that you also need to like the smell, I would recommend Eau de Californie and Reptile to you based on the photos you've shared about how you like to dress. Eau de Californie when you want to be more low-key casual. Reptile when you want to be slightly more edgy or dressed up. I would describe them like a shimmering aura around you. Think about Hedi's photos, and I think it will give a more accurate depiction of the "mood" of the fragrances.
1618385581795.png

1618385627758.png

1618385680802.png

The scents are the opposite of harsh, and there is underlying beauty despite being described as edgy.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried Dans Paris on skin, and it feels like a stripped down version of Hedi's Dior Cologne Blanche. It removes all the herbs and cologne freshness aspects, and amps the powdery almond vanilla element up a bit. There is a Play-Doh element to Dans Paris, but I find it quite subtle on skin, so I don't think it is overpowering. Overall, this is the same idea of Cologne Blanche, but filtered through Celine's more androgynous minimalistic narrative. The idea is very straight-forward. I think it is a fantastic comforting scent for a guy, and sweet and very subtly mysterious scent for a girl. It gives off a very trustworthy feeling.

Black Tie is the spiritual successor of Eau Noire, and Dans Paris is the spiritual successor of Cologne Blanche. It feels great to see Hedi's consistency in his olfactory universe. Similar to Black Tie, I think I would get Dans Paris in my collection if I didn't have its older brother already. If my collection got burned down in a fire, Dans Paris and Black Tie would be a no brainer for me. They feel like a "core" part of Hedi's olfactory universe. What is interesting to note is that after Hedi left Dior, both Eau Noire and Cologne Blanche didn't sell enough for the brand to justify keeping it in their collection (only Bois d'Argent was kept...but even it had its formula tinkered with). Cologne Blanche got discontinued and Eau Noire got relegated to limited distribution. I feel like Hedi's Celine fragrances are a lot easier for most people to love and wear.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LVMH’s smaller fashion brands recovery, first noted in the fourth quarter of 2020, continued, said head of financial communications Chris Hollis. He pointed to Marc Jacobs US e-commerce performance, Hedi Slimane’s creations at Celine, the My Neighbor Totoro capsule collection at Loewe and The Surplus Project collection of responsibly crafted handbags.

He also noted strong performances at Fendi, Loewe, Celine and Marc Jacobs.

Celine had great success with the creations of Hedi Slimane.

Randeep

Reaction score
Having just watched the show, and re-reading this:

Maybe I'm reading too much into this but I think this could mean 1 of 2 things

1. Hedi has completed his narrative for Celine and ready to move on
2. New fragrances are coming for FW

You've got me worried* now, as that show - what with the riffs at the beginning and the fireworks at the end - could be considered Hedi's swan song? Please someone tell me I'm being pessimistic.

* worried because of how much of Hedi's Celine catalogue I want to be able to add to my collection in due course.

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
I would guess the shells on top right is Celine. The colour perfectly matches ss21 men's. The bottom left could work for ss21 women's, but it doesn't feel Celine, but I have zero clue.

I would guess the the top left surfer is Saint Laurent with that aged patina. The bottom right is much cleaner/polished and fits Celine's narrative better. More chic and sophisticated.

I have a question, who copied who? Who released these pieces first?

These are Hedi's designs, and not even new Hedi Designs, Saint Laurent continues to release his work because they are bitter that the courts ordered them to pay Hedi all those millions of dollars. The sales figures are starting to decline at Saint Laurent. Its sad because some peoples entire life identities are based on the Saint Laurent image that Hedi created, but that time has passed.

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
It's like a ping pong game, we have YSL at the Sacré-Cœur then Celine at Chambord.

One silver surfer for Celine, 2 brass surfers for YSL...

View attachment 1592540

I assure you that Hedi doesn't lose any sleep or even acknowledge Anthony. Before copying Hedi's designs Anthony did two capsule collections for Versus by Versace which is almost like Walmart. Hedi has been doing couture extremely well since the 90's

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads