• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

Randeep

Reaction score
Got some goodies delivered from MrPorter for Easter today:

Both the black and white Celine branded trunks in size S. I'll be keeping these. Intention is to wear them a few months down the line when they'll look a little more flattering.

The grey hoodie with the studded Celine branding and the distressed front pocket/hem. I really wanted to like this, and thought it's very cool/unique with the part distresssing on the front - the kind of thing I think my mum would have picked out as a nice little feature irrespective of the seasonal spin. I went true to size M however the fit wasn't for me. The length of the sleeves indicated to me it was the right size, but besides that the dropped shoulders/boxy look and the misssing front hem made it look a little... square on me. So sadly I'll be returning this. MrPorter has the model sizing up so maybe a size L would've been slightly better but I don't think I like it so much that I'll go through the rigmarole of buying/potentially returning another size.

The last purchase was the Tyson Reeder collab oversized Hawaiian shirt which I bought in sz 37+38 to try. Not sure if I mentioned but I had previously bought the MrP exclusive Hawaiian in sz 38+39 to try (only had sz 38 upwards). I had returned those because of the oversized fit primarily. However when new collab came out - with how pretty it looked - and the airtime it got on social media - and the fact MrP had a sz 37 in stock which I never got to try before in this oversized cut I thought I would give this style another try and I'm glad I did.

With this oversized cut I find it difficult (OK, I didn't measure, but visually at least) to gauge one size to the next, but I pretty much tried the 37 on only, which conventionally is in the size S range, and I was happy with it so didn't bother with the 38. Had a 36 been available I would have tried to get that instead but I had to move pretty quick as it was already sold out in the majority of sizes on the official site and MrP only had one sz 37 left. So to be clear, if anyone was after the Hawaiians from this season with the oversized cut but wanted to mitigate how large they look, I would start with as small as size as possible (said from the viewpoint of a heavy-medium build).

So here's a quick pic I snapped earlier:

IMG_4664.jpg

The other thing that I did not have when trying the MrP exclusive I realise now was the forearm tatt. This is my first foray into short sleeve shirts but I definitely think for me at least with naturally skinny forearms, which would only be amplified with short sleeve oversized Hawaiians, the ink helps to distort that a little and add a little edge. I also had it in my mind that I'd pair this shirt with skinny blue light wash denim. That is still on the cards but I can't fit ANY of my SL denim atm (gulp) so I improvised with this skinny washed pair from Asos that I've been wearing when needs must these past few months. I incidentally think it works well with black too. I remember Harry Styles wearing the SS16 hawaiian in a similar way.

@thorns I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on what Celine fragrance you think would pair well with this look (either with black or skinny blue light wash denim) in high summer, all things considered.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@thorns I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on what Celine fragrance you think would pair well with this look (either with black or skinny blue light wash denim) in high summer, all things considered.
Reptile immediately jumps into my head, but I do think other fragrances would work as well.

Parade's citrus is fitting for summer time and adds a touch of sophistication.
Eau de Californie would be a casual low-key scent especially great if you paired the look with sneakers.
Reptile makes a lot of sense with the skinny jeans and Wyatts.

Randeep

Reaction score
Thanks - I've got Reptile but mostly associate that with darker outfits. On that same token and based on what has been said here I need to re-visit Nightclubbing, too.

Parade is a good shout, luckily I had a sample knocking about and agree it would work having just tried. I'll need to check out Eau de Californie.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Androgynous and boyish. Eau de Californie makes sense with the casual effortless vibe. Cologne Française to emphasize a more sophisticated/dressed up feeling but smokey woods still gives it a subtle edge.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Randeep the shirt looks awesome. Really like the whole ensemble. It screams Eau de Californie to me, which I'm wearing today. I'm dressed in a similar vein, white Dior shirt with a splash of color down the hidden placket, saint Laurent denim, and light suede paraboots.

Eau de Californie to me is a medium type of fragrance, which will garner some attention, but is still woodsy and somehow light and symbolizes the carefree attitude of let's say a Tom Cruise, pulling the hair out of his eyes with a big smile in the early 90s.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting word that Celine is seriously looking to close Milan Main Boutique.

Major Major problems with the Brand.
I think they're giving up on the West. Based on the new stores opening up in Asia, that's were they're focusing their efforts now. Even ss21 and fw21 feels like a perfect fit for Asian street style.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DJR curious where you're hearing this, as the feeling I've been getting is that Celine took four years to launch but is finally getting some traction if not a lot of popularity. I feel as though I see a ton of it now.

Comical note to the Celine briefs crowd - do not wash your briefs in a regular cycle; apparently, they'll need to be in a delicate cycle (or provoke a laugh in your dry cleaner by asking them to wash 'em), otherwise, they'll end up as "eline" boxers.

Trixz

Reaction score
Comical note to the Celine briefs crowd - do not wash your briefs in a regular cycle; apparently, they'll need to be in a delicate cycle (or provoke a laugh in your dry cleaner by asking them to wash 'em), otherwise, they'll end up as "eline" boxers.

oh no! I’ve washed mine on normal cold wash and low tumble dry without any problems yet.

I was at work yesterday wearing my Celine boxers lifting a box and a lady saw the logo band above my denim. She asked who Celine was and I told her my girlfriend. She replied that Celine has great style... in my head I was thinking if only you knew!

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was at work yesterday wearing my Celine boxers lifting a box and a lady saw the logo band above my denim. She asked who Celine was and I told her my girlfriend. She replied that Celine has great style... in my head I was thinking if only you knew!
LOL that's kind of hot. Your girlfriend branding her name on your underwear.

papillo

Reaction score
Got some goodies delivered from MrPorter for Easter today:

Both the black and white Celine branded trunks in size S. I'll be keeping these. Intention is to wear them a few months down the line when they'll look a little more flattering.

The grey hoodie with the studded Celine branding and the distressed front pocket/hem. I really wanted to like this, and thought it's very cool/unique with the part distresssing on the front - the kind of thing I think my mum would have picked out as a nice little feature irrespective of the seasonal spin. I went true to size M however the fit wasn't for me. The length of the sleeves indicated to me it was the right size, but besides that the dropped shoulders/boxy look and the misssing front hem made it look a little... square on me. So sadly I'll be returning this. MrPorter has the model sizing up so maybe a size L would've been slightly better but I don't think I like it so much that I'll go through the rigmarole of buying/potentially returning another size.

The last purchase was the Tyson Reeder collab oversized Hawaiian shirt which I bought in sz 37+38 to try. Not sure if I mentioned but I had previously bought the MrP exclusive Hawaiian in sz 38+39 to try (only had sz 38 upwards). I had returned those because of the oversized fit primarily. However when new collab came out - with how pretty it looked - and the airtime it got on social media - and the fact MrP had a sz 37 in stock which I never got to try before in this oversized cut I thought I would give this style another try and I'm glad I did.

With this oversized cut I find it difficult (OK, I didn't measure, but visually at least) to gauge one size to the next, but I pretty much tried the 37 on only, which conventionally is in the size S range, and I was happy with it so didn't bother with the 38. Had a 36 been available I would have tried to get that instead but I had to move pretty quick as it was already sold out in the majority of sizes on the official site and MrP only had one sz 37 left. So to be clear, if anyone was after the Hawaiians from this season with the oversized cut but wanted to mitigate how large they look, I would start with as small as size as possible (said from the viewpoint of a heavy-medium build).

So here's a quick pic I snapped earlier:

View attachment 1587801

The other thing that I did not have when trying the MrP exclusive I realise now was the forearm tatt. This is my first foray into short sleeve shirts but I definitely think for me at least with naturally skinny forearms, which would only be amplified with short sleeve oversized Hawaiians, the ink helps to distort that a little and add a little edge. I also had it in my mind that I'd pair this shirt with skinny blue light wash denim. That is still on the cards but I can't fit ANY of my SL denim atm (gulp) so I improvised with this skinny washed pair from Asos that I've been wearing when needs must these past few months. I incidentally think it works well with black too. I remember Harry Styles wearing the SS16 hawaiian in a similar way.

Looking great as usual Randeep! That shirt would look great with white pants as well. As for fragrances, something nice, bright and fruity would go great with that outfit. You should sample Tyga by Bvgalri, or Creed Virgin Island Water for something a bit tropical if you are willing to consider non Celine options.

Randeep

Reaction score
Looking great as usual Randeep! That shirt would look great with white pants as well. As for fragrances, something nice, bright and fruity would go great with that outfit. You should sample Tyga by Bvgalri, or Creed Virgin Island Water for something a bit tropical if you are willing to consider non Celine options.

I hadn't considered white, but when trying the shirt for fit I did actually first try squeezing into my SS14 light grey jeans with the subtle distress details on the knee (the thread is black) - these ones on the left:

ss14.jpg

Sadly they defeated me at the upper thigh ?. I'm not sure if I could ever go full white in London, and as someone here mentioned a few pages back, that colour (and even this grey) does highlight the thicc-ness a little too well.

Regarding fragrances -- I've always had it in my mind to pick what I think would gel most well with what I'm wearing/the situation - as I guess most with anything more than a passing interest in smelling good, would. However with the fragrance talk here recently that has highlighted the importance of amplifying the visual, with the olfactory element, and the conviction behind the fragrances being released at Celine and their relevance to "character building" for lack of a better term, I've convinced myself that I'd start paying much close attention to the Celine line. They've done a really good job of describing the olfactory side to Celine on the CELINE HAUTE PARFUMERIE "THE PROJECT". Maybe I'm just being good at being sold to, but I don't often (ever?) see this kind of pitch-perfect copywriting elsewhere in the industry, excerpt:

THE POWDERY OLFACTORY SIGNATURE

ALL THE PERFUMES ARE LINKED TOGETHER BY ONE SINGULAR OLFACTORY IMPRINT. A POWDERY NOTE DOMINATES THE COLLECTION, SHADING THE SINGULAR FEATURES OF EACH COMPOSITION.
LIKE A DIAPHANOUS VEIL PLACED OVER THE SKIN, THIS POWDERY FILTER PROVIDES EACH PERFUME WITH AN ENVELOPING PATINA AND THE FRENCH ELEGANCE OF A COUTURE TRAIL.

It was the "... SINGULAR OLFACTORY IMPRINT. A POWDERY NOTE DOMINATES ... LIKE A DIAPHANOUS VEIL PLACED OVER THE SKIN ..." that got me -- I figured - my clothing style is quite tightly coupled - I might bounce from one fit to the next but it's still very much got that diaphanous "me" veil going on - so why not extend that quite fittingly to perfumes too. However I'm a long way off since I only own Reptile and Black Tie - I think Parade as previously recommended (I have a sample), and Nightclubbing (no sample) are the next ones I want to check out. I did find nightclubbing too much like cigarette smoke but maybe I just need to let it settle on the skin. I know it's polarising but as I think Thorns mentioned too, I do find that cigarette smell sexy.

With all that being said though - I think I'd still give other perfumes a try - funny you mentioned VIW as this used to be my go-to fragrance for when, say, I was wearing the SS16 Hawaiian, though I didn't find the performance on my skin to be that good. I had not heard of Tygar by Bvlgari but I had a quick look at reviews earlier and it seemed promising so I think I'll definitely be grabbing at least a sample - thanks for the rec!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads