• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slightly more "objective" reviews of Bois d'Argent and Dior Homme to help paint an idea of Hedi's style.

Bois d’Argent (Dior, 2004) is not only a great perfume in terms of quality, but also a salient example of how its shades of iris are played to open the material to a unisex effect. We would later see a ground-breaking success a year later of the ‘masculine iris’ in Dior Home (2005) which truly demonstrates the potential of iris. For this reason, this excellent Bois d’Argent by perfumer Annick Ménardo is ahead of its time.

dior

At the heart of the composition is a combination of musks and 0.8% orris butter. Accents of vanilla lend its sweetness, and completes the powdery musky iris theme. In contrast, the woody shades of iris are expanded by patchouli and a noble whiff of frankincense oil at 1.1%. Thus, the character is powdery deep down, but with an interesting woody incense subtext.

The woody tone is kept warm and salty like driftwoods. Here, the unprecedented amount of Ambrox at 13.6% plays a major role with its crisp ambery note. It also gives an interesting warm sillage and a lift to the musky iris theme of Bois d’Argent.

Often, when I have already forgotten that I put on Bois d’Argent, I would still catch its warm, powdery, faintly sweet, and woody semolina hours later. It recalls somewhat the late dry down of Chanel N°19 Poudré, but is inflected with a warm woody accent.

Interestingly, Bois d’Argent explores the warm woody shades of iris whilst remaining easily accessible to both men and women’s shelves. At the centre is iris. The woody aspects are played up by ambergris, patchouli, and frankincense, meanwhile the soft powdery element is expanded by vanilla and musks. My favourite part is in the interesting pairing of the warm ambergris note and the musky flour of iris. It gives not only a beautiful contrast, but also a signature warmth. It is a brilliant composition.

Sources: dior.fr, Scent and Chemistry The Molecular World of Odors

At the risk of sounding hyperbolic, I say Dior Homme (2005) deserves its place on a pedestal of classics. Rarely do mainstream launches proceed without deliberation on market tests, but Dior Homme did. And its composition does not conform either: at the centre of it is iris, a material that does not have a firm ground on the masculine territory like, say, lavender or geranium. Yet perfumer Olivier Polge did an astounding job, thereby firmly establishing its place amongst masculine fragrances.

fragrantica.jpg

Iris, which has the connotation of powder puff and lipstick, is not exactly a fresh note. However, in Dior Homme, its carrot facet is cleverly extrapolated with green herbs to give a fresh top note. A combination of bergamot, lavandin, geranium, and carrot seed renders the impression of aromatic green herbs. Cardamom and coriander provide a spicy contrast. Such cool herbs introduce freshness to the dense note.

The lively iris theme at heart revolves around 0.25% of orris absolute with its rich powder, carrot-like green, and chills. A peachy glow, the fruity touch of δ-damascone at 0.11%, and violet-like ionones warm and sweeten the composition. A radiant floral touch keeps the heart limpid. The glow and shimmer impart such clarity and polish, rendering an otherwise austere and sometimes dull note of iris vibrant.

Towards the base, the composition is warm and inviting. Here, vetiver is sweetened by vanilla, coumarin, and musk with a crisp ambery note of Ambrox. The resultant gourmand sweetness is brilliantly offset by the combination of myrrh and frankincense oil each at 0.5%. Patchouli conjures a surprising touch of bitter cocoa when paired with powdery iris. The character of vanillic woods strongly contrasts with that of iris, and pairing them together creates a gripping tension between warm and cool notes. It is riveting.

Offering iris as a masculine fragrance untested is a bold and risky move, but in doing so Dior and Polge have created a milestone with a memorable character and a lasting influence. The iris is rendered surprisingly fresh and spicy, and its rooty chills polished by radiant florals and glow of fruits. Then, pitted against vanillic woods and incense, it makes Dior Homme unforgettable. It is tenacious and its suave sillage of grand cru cocoa and supple leather will impress. Its boldness has certainly left a mark in perfumery.

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
Celine brown shirt

His Omega watch feels fitting

I've noticed that several guys are buying and wearing the woman's jewelry line. I'm guessing the gold tone color has something to do with it, but they are wearing the silver tone woman's jewelry as well. Its interesting that guys are wearing the gold tone woman's belts too, I saw a guy at the park the other day wearing the Maillon Triomphe snake belt. I'm guessing you can share pieces with your wife or girlfriend etc.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the story I paint in my mind. Hedi made it cool for woman to wear men's pieces at Dior Homme. Now he's making it cool for men to wear woman's pieces at Celine.

1614952145739.png

1614955519573.png

1614952089339.png

1614955084794.png

1614955110874.png

1614956181282.png

1614955556697.png

1614955756405.png

1614955832391.png

1614955884683.png

1614955907426.png

1614955928672.png

1614955949571.png

1614956217394.png

1614956374422.png

1614956467289.png

1614956576683.png

Last edited:

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a great look. I haven't seen a tie since 2003, so that was a nice add too to mix up the endless "we're all casual now" sentiment.

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
Slightly more "objective" reviews of Bois d'Argent and Dior Homme to help paint an idea of Hedi's style.

The vanilla combined with the balance of other scents in the original Bois d'Argent is what made it irresistible for me. I think I read somewhere that vanilla is one of the most attractive scents for women and men alike.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cropped jodhpurs are cool. I guess the Celine "version" would be the single monk Jacnos. Both lean conservative with a little edge.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cute cap look with wool coat, and I want to imagine she's wearing basketball sneakers

Randeep

Reaction score
I really like the concept of the women's Celine Separables they've got going on - the ability to customise the trinkets you want to put on your chain that is sold separately (two chain lengths available to purchase). I'd love to get in on it but switching from silver to gold seems like too much of a reach at present -- not only because I still think it looks feminine, but it's yet another colour being introduced into the wardrobe colour palette - and therefore another stream of expense.

I wonder if you can attach +1 without it getting messy though (they'd all bunch up when being pulled down due to gravity), or whether that's something you have to take into consideration.

In this picture it looks like he has been careful to balance a larger pendant with a smaller crystal.

My favourites:

46V336BRA.35OR_7_FALL20_784536v1.jpg

46V076BSG.35OR_1_FALL20_782287v2.jpg
46T393BBR.03TG_2_SPR20_428259v2.jpg

How ******* cool is that last one... a mirror in a delicately stitched leather pocket

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black cropped jodhpurs in smooth calf fit in perfectly with Celine's offerings. In fact SS13 has a lot of items like that and could almost be a Celine collection.

Saw a picture of a guy with the flares with the blank trainers on the celinebyhedislimane Instagram tag. They looked great and quite wearable.

Regarding the casual thing, I've been moving back towards formal wear recently. For those that remember me in the Saint Laurent thread this was always my thing, but I got more into casual wear as time went on. It's nice to have both, but at my kind of age the slim formal wear feels like a really safe investment that isn't going anywhere (neither will it be particularly fashionable, but that's fine by me)

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Randeep I don't think everything needs to match. Take SS14 Hedi had the navy blazer with gold buttons, with gold bracelet, and then silver belt buckle and silver buckles on the Duckies.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like that they have a section on the webstore called Ties and Soft Accessories. I'm finding myself gravitating more and more to Celine, only took 4 years.

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
I've noticed that several guys are buying and wearing the woman's jewelry line. I'm guessing the gold tone color has something to do with it, but they are wearing the silver tone woman's jewelry as well. Its interesting that guys are wearing the gold tone woman's belts too, I saw a guy at the park the other day wearing the Maillon Triomphe snake belt. I'm guessing you can share pieces with your wife or girlfriend etc.

I like women's jewelry because I feel like it simply looks better on me. Men's jewelry often has to be so overly masculine that it can be a bit cringy, as cringy as I find that word.

Smaller and more feminine jewelry looks better on my skinny arms and fingers, so I don't care if it's from the men's or women's section. If it looks good it looks good. It just happens that it's usually the women's section.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads