• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

Lit Harington

Reaction score
i agree with you, but i would argue that a girl could authentically wear both those outfits albeit at different times.

i would personally find it weird if a man dressed in both the examples you give there interchangeably. the two 'types' of celine man are far more different than the celine woman.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I know what you mean. I think it is toxic masculinity that prevents men to have a more diverse wardrobe than women. It is "normal" for a woman to switch up her style for fun, whereas men are expected to have a consistent image.

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
Those womenswear editorials look great. Can't see how this doesn't sell really well.

Jabba very interesting posts, and I definitely see your point with Dior Homme. Would you view Black Tie and Parade as falling into the same category? Both seem quite commercial to me (but perfectly done), which for me is actually a good thing. I just want to smell attractive.

I don't remember that Higher advertisement. That picture was part of the menswear campaign, strange that they wouldn't bother to shoot a separate one. Are you sure that's not a Photoshop?

Hedi wanted the fragrance campaign to be cohesive with the DH campaign so he used the same model.

Dior Homme: His name is Justin (pronounced Jew-steen) His father is a middle class businessman and mother a flight attendant, he pretends he is better than everybody else to overcompensate for his small penis. He dates immigrant women so he can treat them poorly and has probably had drunken sex with said girlfriends gay brother. He still spends his 2 week vacation in the south of France with his parents on their dime and posts tons of pictures to instagram, he never invites the girlfriend.

Black Tie: His name is Nicolas, he went to Le Rosey and later a Ivy League university to get a degree he doesn't really need. He is seen with many beautiful women but is probably asexual. He inherited millions from his grandfather but doesn't throw it in your face and is philanthropical. He spends his free time on the beach people watching. He feels something is missing in his life but doesn't know what.

Parade: His name is Elliott, he wears Kenzo sweaters, spends his free time at bohemian coffee shops and the park hanging out with "cool friends". Nobody really knows too much about him. Elliott has a new sex partner every day of the week because he is afraid of commitment. He goes to pretentious bars to sip on overpriced cocktails to impress his friends. He is still young and figures he will sort out his life when he's older.

Last edited:

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
Hedi wanted the fragrance campaign to be cohesive with the DH campaign so he used the same model.

Dior Homme: His name is Justin (pronounced Jew-steen) His father is a middle class businessman and mother a flight attendant, he pretends he is better than everybody else to overcompensate for his small penis. He dates immigrant women so he can treat them poorly and has probably had drunken sex with said girlfriends gay brother. He still spends his 2 week vacation in the south of France with his parents on their dime and posts tons of pictures to instagram, he never invites the girlfriend.

Black Tie: His name is Nicolas, he went to Le Rosey and later a Ivy League university to get a degree he doesn't really need. He is seen with many beautiful women but is probably asexual. He inherited millions from his grandfather but doesn't throw it in your face and is philanthropical. He spends his free time on the beach people watching. He feels something is missing in his life but doesn't know what.

Parade: His name is Elliott, he wears Kenzo sweaters, spends his free time at bohemian coffee shops and the park hanging out with "cool friends". Nobody really knows too much about him. Elliott has a new sex partner every day of the week because he is afraid of commitment. He goes to pretentious bars to sip on overpriced cocktails to impress his friends. He is still young and figures he will sort out his life when he's older.

I've never met them but I hate all of these pricks.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Baby blue for the Celine girl
1614818721637.png

Last edited:

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
skinny jeans with z trainers making them look like moon boots

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Camargues do still have enough heft to them to support skinny jeans. It does feel fresher than Wyatts in 2021, and has the added flexibility to look nice with wider hems as well.

vs

Last edited:

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
skinny jeans with z trainers making them look like moon boots

interesting, they didn't exactly look like that on the runway. Maybe it has to do with proportions.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 6.44.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 6.44.24 PM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 51

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White Orris butter is a key note listed in many of the Celine fragrances.

1614929339931.png

Orris butter is is one of those legendary perfume materials: extraordinarily beautiful and extraordinarily expensive—it takes one ton of iris root to produce one kilo of iris butter through a process that is very time consuming and technically demanding. The fact that perfumers continue to use it despite its cost speaks to how special this stuff is in perfume. It creates an effect that cannot be duplicated with another material. Orris is mysterious: subtle, delicate and complex. It’s not a “loud” scent, so it’s harder to point out than patchouli or jasmine. Even the name orris, seems magical and elusive. It has no etymological relation to the Egyptian god, Osiris, but it still always makes me think of esoteric ideas and secret societies.

The iris that is extracted for fragrance is not the slender florist’s iris, but the “bearded” iris, the ones famously painted by van Gogh. This decorative perennial has been cultivated for hundred of years. In the Middle Ages aromatic rhizomes of orris were exploited for their fragrance and flavor. Orris smells of violet, pepper and raspberry, and perfumers will sometimes describe it as lending a chocolate effect to a perfume. If it sounds good enough to eat, that’s because it is. Orris root is used as a flavor ingredient in the traditional Moroccan spice blend, Ras al Hanout, and is also one of several aromatics used to flavor finer gin.
One gram of Orris Butter on a sheet of glassine, it takes one ton of iris root to produce one kilo of orris butter.

One gram of Orris Butter on a sheet of glassine, it takes one ton of iris root to produce one kilo of orris butter.

Orris butter is steam distilled from the roots (not the flowers) of Iris pallida, but only after the roots have been aged for three years—freshly harvested, the roots don’t have the characteristic odor. Orris butter is actually a semi-solid essential oil, a translucent, creamy-waxy material with a delicate, sweet-floral and woody-earthy-rooty aroma. It smells fresh, vaguely medicinal and delicately floral . The scent is clean and often described as “cool” or “metallic,” even so, there's a warm peppery quality. Intrigued? You're not alone.

Orris is a bit of a phantom. It haunts the history of perfumery with its legend. It also haunts individual perfumes with an aroma that is at once powerful and subtle. Even so, I would guess that most fragrance fans might be surprised by the smell of plain orris butter and powdered orris root. Reading perfume reviews, it's easy to become confused about what real orris butter smells like. There's a good reason for this, the material has many facets: floral and woody; earthy and fresh; sweet and also slightly bitter. It’s odor strength is both wimpy and strong (sounds contradictory, but stay tuned). To make things even more confusing, iris is a perfume "note," which means that it gets interpreted. A perfumer can develop an accord that highlights any of its many facets: floral, rooty, woody, violet, sweet, etc. So when someone says they love an iris or orris perfume—what that really means is that they love the way iris has been interpreted.
This is especially the case with reviews that talk about Hedi's Dior Homme and Bois d'Argent. They both list iris, but it is done differently in both fragrances. Cologne Française is feeling vaguely reminiscent to Bois d'Argent, despite being its own unique scent. I suspect it might be the orris butter that link Bois d'Argent with Cologne Française.

Iris butter is very high in myristic acid but the key molecule that lends the characteristic violet-iris note is irone alpha, which can make up 15% of high quality iris butter. While perfumers have access to irone that is either synthetically produced or naturally refined (and which smells pretty great), it still can’t substitute for real iris butter—which lends complexity with chocolate notes and richness.

Smelled straight, orris butter doesn't seem particularly strong, but like musk, even trace amounts have a noticeable effect on a perfume where it has an exalting effect, meaning that it "lifts" and enhances the entire fragrance accord, makes it richer, and adds a “vibration,” a sort of ghostly presence throughout the perfume that is very much present, but not overwhelming. Curiously, it's hard to pump up the iris note in a perfume and still keep things interesting. Heavily dosed, orris butter can be a bit melancholy or thick, so perfumers look for contrasts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads