• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried Dans Paris again today. I've found myself craving this fragrance in my time away from it, and can't stop smelling the back of my hand when testing it. I really like it a lot. However I don't think it's for me as it's too cherry like and sweet, and I think a little too out of my comfort zone being fairly conservative and masculine in my style. I definitely understand the appeal though and I may still revisit it again before ruling it out.

A week or so on and I still love Black Tie and Parade. Parade is exquisite definitely the standout for me, but Black Tie is excellent as well. I'm going to try Nightclubbing again sometime soon as I was impressed with that as well.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dans Paris lists Laurel blossom accord, and I suspect they're referring to Cherry laurels.
1614712230445.png

One thing to know about Prunus laurocerasus (which emits the pleasing fragrance of almonds when its leaves are crushed), is that it contains hydrogen cyanide, a poison. The leaves when distilled in water has been used as an almond flavoring in cooking. The fruit is edible, as long as caution is used to not bite the seed kernel, so that the hydrogen cyanide is not released. The fruit can be used to make jellies or jams.

I am curious about the connection of almonds with French neoclassicism.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
100% agree on the Dans Paris. My wife appropriated my bottle, and I find it a stand-out fragrance but maybe not a daily wearer for me who trends toward things such as Parade, Black Tie, and Cologne Français de Celine and more traditionally for business Dior Homme and Chanel Bleu, or Creed GIT, and Creed Aventus and Dior Sauvage for other events.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahh - I do make some sort of effort at avoiding clothes that might make me look short, so broad horizontal stripes, baggy pants or flares, and too much fuss are things I'll avoid!

Celine Monaco Collection for Women, Summer is fire as an aside. I saw the email notification today that it became available on the US webstore.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the womenswear too. That video Thorns posted was great.

Sirgrotius on Dans Paris I still don't know what I think of it for me. I think it's a no because I doubt I'd end up wearing it, even though I like it a lot.

I also wear Dior Homme, which was kind of a signature for me, although now I have Black Tie and Parade they feel like a bit of a level above, but I'm sure I'll still wear it. It's very versatile.

I also have Sauvage which I wear when I'm not in Hedi's clothes, like for football or at the gym.

Did you end up keeping the light grey cashmere sweater? I'm kind of regretting returning it. I might order the drugstore Chelsea soon so I could put it on the order as well to give it another chance. Might be nice with the union wash jeans.

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
Ahh - I do make some sort of effort at avoiding clothes that might make me look short, so broad horizontal stripes, baggy pants or flares, and too much fuss are things I'll avoid!

Celine Monaco Collection for Women, Summer is fire as an aside. I saw the email notification today that it became available on the US webstore.

You have an elongated torso.

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
I really like the womenswear too. That video Thorns posted was great.

Sirgrotius on Dans Paris I still don't know what I think of it for me. I think it's a no because I doubt I'd end up wearing it, even though I like it a lot.

I also wear Dior Homme, which was kind of a signature for me, although now I have Black Tie and Parade they feel like a bit of a level above, but I'm sure I'll still wear it. It's very versatile.

I also have Sauvage which I wear when I'm not in Hedi's clothes, like for football or at the gym.

Did you end up keeping the light grey cashmere sweater? I'm kind of regretting returning it. I might order the drugstore Chelsea soon so I could put it on the order as well to give it another chance. Might be nice with the union wash jeans.

Dans Paris is nice and Black Tie was my first purchase but Nightclubbing is my favorite. Reptile is my most recent.

I know it has been reformulated many times but Dior Homme is such a dated scent, I wore it in the 2000's and quickly moved on. I was never a fan of Sauvage in any formulation as it reminded me of the original Eau Savage that my grandfather wore.

I have Cologne Royale by Dior, that I received as a gift, I wear every now and then

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
I also wanted to point this out. It's a nightlife spot in Paris that has been around for years.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 7.39.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 7.39.31 AM.png
    119.1 KB · Views: 33

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds spot on. I haven't worn Dior Homme in forever, I feel like everyone says it's been watered down, but it does just signal boring to me. Sauvage is like a one-trick pony. I received Cologne Royale as a gift from Dior in the large size and it's sort of a fun summery scent but I barely wear it. I have few others from them in the small size, such as Ambre Nuit which used to be a go-to and Oud Ispahan and Leather Oud or something like that borderline made me nauseated. They're marketing a tobacco scent hard which I assume is their Nightclubbing.

Finally, I have Dior Homme Sport which is very 2002 but still kind of great if you want to feel like a Tommy Hilfger ad, and Dior Homme Higher Energy which I thought was fake but was a gift from a duty-free shop a few years ago and it's sort of an amalgam of DH Sport and Cologne Royale.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm probably dated then because I still really like the original Olivier Polge Dior Homme. The reformulation is also still very good for me. I wouldn't know what's fashionable in fragrances though.

For me I never gave the area much thought until buying the Celine ones recently. I remember I had some of the CDG ones in the mid 2000s when I used to shop at DSM but anything at all experimental like that just feels boring to me now.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It feels obvious that Dior Homme was designed to smell "sexy", as most mainstream designer fragrances are. This contrasts with Hedi's higher tier fragrances which aren't really designed with this constraint. As a result, the higher tier fragrances come off a lot more effortless and chic. I also feel like, without mainstream commercial constraints, that the higher tier fragrances can be more unique and different.

I feel like both types are good to have in one's olfactory wardrobe.

1614731151666.png

1614731451980.png

I have Cologne Royale by Dior, that I received as a gift, I wear every now and then
I received Cologne Royale as a gift from Dior in the large size and it's sort of a fun summery scent but I barely wear it.
It is insane that Francois Demachy replaced Francis Kurkdjian's Cologne Blanche with Cologne Royale. I'm going to assume it wasn't commercial enough to justify keeping it, unlike Bois d'Argent.

I haven't worn Dior Homme in forever, I feel like everyone says it's been watered down, but it does just signal boring to me.
I feel like it has been "watered" down in the artistic sense. It has been transformed to be even more mainstream mass appealing which distorts Hedi's original vision. It feels too heavy and unrefined compared to the original.

Sauvage is like a one-trick pony.
As long as it does its job well, I like keeping it in my stable.

Dior Homme Higher Energy which I thought was fake but was a gift from a duty-free shop a few years ago and it's sort of an amalgam of DH Sport and Cologne Royale.
I checked out Higher Energy, DH Sport, and Cologne Royale recently and I'm not a fan.

Dior's Higher, on the other hand, is very beautiful to me. Dior Higher starts off with this blast of lemon-basil-green-pear scent, then transitions into this feeling of iced water-spices, then the bulk of the drydown of this masculine boyish musk scent. Higher feels more unique while Higher Energy felt like it was targeting the North American crowd in the early 00s. I think Dior Homme Sport also feels like it was created with the North American crowd in mind. It feels unusual to release another pillar scent 2 years after the launch of the first one. Feels like an Egoiste and Platinum Egoiste situation where the original didn't perform as well in the North American market, so another version was created in hopes for better sells. I think Dior Higher has more of a limited distribution than Higher Energy.

The LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton-owned brand will launch Higher Energy globally this September, two years after it came out with Higher Dior for men.

“We think the best way to address men today is through the Higher [concept],” explained Marguerite Ranjard, international group manager for men’s fragrances at Parfums Christian Dior.

While both fragrances are meant to target the 25- to 35-year-old modern urban male, Higher Energy’s core consumer is expected to be more extroverted than its predecessor’s.

Similar, yet different, Ranjard said the scents are “like two brothers.”

Higher Dior’s juice is a fresh aromatic, whereas Higher Energy’s is comprised of fresh, woody and spicy accords — at once fresh and sensual, according to Ranjard.

Concocted by Givaudan’s Nathalie Gracia-Cetto and Carlos Vinals, Higher Energy’s pale fluorescent-green juice contains top notes of juniper, absinthe and grapefruit; heart notes of nutmeg, pepper and incense, and a drydown of light musk, vetiver and sandalwood.

Dior Homme’s artistic director and recently named artistic director for Dior men’s fragrances, Hedi Slimane, oversaw the advertising for Higher Energy. The campaign was recently shot by Bruce Weber.

Original campaign for Higher was closely tied to FW01, although Hedi has no input on the scent or name. Same model used for the fragrance campaign and clothing campaign.
1614734447580.png

1614738443982.png

It feels like there is this youthful toughness that hides a vulnerability. Perfect for Squall.
1614735625574.png

I'm probably dated then because I still really like the original Olivier Polge Dior Homme. The reformulation is also still very good for me. I wouldn't know what's fashionable in fragrances though.
Sweet scents are dominating the market. A lot of popular mainstream releases are shoved with sweetness/bubblegum and amber/scratchy woods to boost performance. Loud and long-lasting for the beast mode crowd.

I remember I had some of the CDG ones in the mid 2000s when I used to shop at DSM but anything at all experimental like that just feels boring to me now.
I have a soft spot for that time period. Nostalgia for things I probably have never known. Odeur 53 is so beautiful, and eventually I'll complete my Helmut Lang collection by adding Cuiron to the list. Minimalistic fragrances give me this dystopian feeling. Anonymous. Urban.
1614735445268.png

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Celine model rocking modern silhouette in his down time
1614739483503.png

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score

For me I never gave the area much thought until buying the Celine ones recently. I remember I had some of the CDG ones in the mid 2000s when I used to shop at DSM but anything at all experimental like that just feels boring to me now.

Its whatever you like, I feel fragrances in general have progressed by so much though, even within the last 10 years. I remember wearing Jean Paul Gualtier Le Male in high school thinking it was the best ever and smelling it now I wondered what the appeal was, but people still wear it today like its the best thing ever. The same thing could be said with Chanel no. 5. Peoples tastes, perceptions, and styles change, you have to do what's right for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads