• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

pearls_before_swine

Reaction score
I think it's important to understand that the purpose of runways shows is not in any way similar to, say, a lookbook or a campaign, much less in-store merchandising. I.e. runways aren't meant for the people who wear the clothes*. They're for the people who buy them wholesale and/or who write about them. And in order to be successful in this area you need to give people novelty. Tasteful fits might sell to the man in the street, but they don't garner press inches.

If you need confirmation of this, take a look at someone like Craig Green. Most of his runway looks would be unwearable by anyone, ever. But the items you'll find by Green on the racks are mostly pretty pedestrian pieces of workwear.

*Who knows though, this may change now that they aren't actually runways shows at all, but videos that can be watched by everyone.

the other side of this is Dries VN who will only design clothes to be worn & these are the exact clothes that are shown on the runway - part of the reasons I really appreciate him

but yeah - as much as I respect MMM & have some of their **** which I think is dope, a lot of the other stuff is unwearable (although I do admire it as art!)

pearls_before_swine

Reaction score
I have no hate towards Rick stuff as long as it is congruent with the image the wearer is projecting. Wearing it to go grocery shopping just feels super weird for me.
View attachment 1540489

yeah Rick is a legend (& some of his stuff is actually quite wearable)

& yeah it IS silly to wear Rick for something like that but hey people trapped in their homes during the pandemic like dressing up whatever opportunity they have! goths need milk too!

Adamdraps

Reaction score
I have no hate towards Rick stuff as long as it is congruent with the image the wearer is projecting. Wearing it to go grocery shopping just feels super weird for me.
View attachment 1540489

I understand where you're coming from however, do to covid, where can we wear our clothing?

I have 16 pairs of Saint Laurent boots. I didn't buy them to sit in a closet. I'm wearing them everywhere. lol
At the beach, grocery store, dentist, getting a haircut because this is the only time I get out now.

Last edited:

ASAPRice

Reaction score
View attachment 1540489
Annoying+Scene.jpg

two of the sickest fit pics on the entire internet

Lit Harington

Reaction score
i just miss the wearability of hedi dior and hedi SLP
what you see on the runway is easily accessible and translate well in the real world
maybe it's bc i'm from the UK but to me Celine is far more wearable than SL and Dior. I suppose that maybe isn't a surprise, given Celine has a more european inclination?

zrn

Reaction score
View attachment 1540489
I’m gonna nitpick here cause I’m very sure u were the person being critical about people wearing designer sweats and hoodies to the grocery store and saying they’re lazy.

between this, wearing a full Hedi look, and wearing sweats I think sweats are by far the most congruent with the activity...

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the Monochroms collection has a legitimate place in people's wardrobe. I actually like that style as home lounge wear since it makes sense to be casual and comfy at home. Being uptight and glam'd up at home is kind of fake and try hard for 2020s. I can see it being worn for quick errands.

I’m gonna nitpick here cause I’m very sure u were the person being critical about people wearing designer sweats and hoodies to the grocery store and saying they’re lazy.
Jesus, the reach on that. Very desperate attempt to nitpick. You really held on to this, huh? Everyone who doesn't agree with you is automatically me. Kind of funny.

1611322779679.png

I now have a sense that you have a bone to pick with me. Perhaps try harder next time.

Last edited:

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand where you're coming from however, do to covid, where can we wear our clothing?

I have 16 pairs of Saint Laurent boots. I didn't buy them to sit in a closet. I'm wearing them everywhere. lol
At the beach, grocery store, dentist, getting a haircut because this is the only time I get out now.
I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum, continuing to spend obscene amounts of money on clothes merely in anticipation of post-pandemic life.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At first I was wearing a lot of loungewear during the pandemic, which is a fancy way of saying sweat outfits, but after a month two I just went back to my usual dress and if I happen to be running to a pharmacy in Celine that's fine, I could care less, and often, I feel as though most adults are dressed up anyway, so it doesn't look too incongruent. I've never been much of a high-heels dude, but I can understand the appeal, so for me, I don't think I look overly fashion-y if that's a term.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is somewhat tangental, but I remember there was a bag of bags discussion here a couple days ago (ancient history in thread lore, I know), but I kind of like what Dior is doing with their new saddle messenger bags. There's a part of me that's repulsed and part of me that loves it and would find it very convenient versus bulging pockets and ragging on my wife to carry my phone or keys when I find them uncomfortable in the pocket.

1611329213933.png

1611329239214.png

Bill H

Reaction score
At first I was wearing a lot of loungewear during the pandemic, which is a fancy way of saying sweat outfits, but after a month two I just went back to my usual dress and if I happen to be running to a pharmacy in Celine that's fine, I could care less, and often, I feel as though most adults are dressed up anyway, so it doesn't look too incongruent. I've never been much of a high-heels dude, but I can understand the appeal, so for me, I don't think I look overly fashion-y if that's a term.
I've put a suit on once or twice to go buy groceries ha. ...got a few mid 00s quirky dior hommes... he loves that deep button stance.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ss21 couple wearing pajama pants

Alright, alright, alright.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads