• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eventually the art trickles down from those towers and the masses scramble to lick up the dregs.
Yeah, I agree with this. I would add that this how I imagine the progression happens.
  1. Originator youth is wearing style inspired from ivory towers.
  2. Others youths see it and think it is cool because they feel the originator is cool and they want to be like the originator.
  3. Style/silhouette then explodes in popularity amongst the youth. However, the youths that are copying that "originator" aren't that keen on what inspired the "originator". They like the style because it is linked more to the originator in their minds. So they start feeling like they "own" the look, and call it their own original style.
  4. As it gets more mainstream amongst the youths, other designers who care about youth culture observe what the youths are doing and start spotlighting it.
  5. The older generations start to notice and eventually a lot of people across society adopts it.
  6. That originator youth moves on to something new to continue the cycle.
I only start caring around phase 4-5. I feel like Hedi does phase 4. The real money for brands comes from phase 5. The youths aren't the ones who can afford luxury brands, and the designer in the ivory tower who inspired the originator never truly gets recognized. It is the designers in phase 4 that get recognized by society.

Last edited:

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hedi's more formal offerings for red carpet events. Celine team made sure it is written in French so that people won't mistake that Celine is not a French brand.
1611268216652.png

1611268266113.png

It may feel schizophrenic when this is juxtaposed with ss21, but I think it helps illustrate that there are different "tiers" at Celine. More casual and more dressed up options both in one brand.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
VinceCompost the fact that every basic girl around is wearing baggy grey sweatpants, baggy blue 90s jeans, oversized blazers, varsities etc means it's not exactly cutting edge. I'm getting pretty bored of the silhouette already and it definitely doesn't feel cutting edge.

Sirgrotius I'm still waiting for the grey cashmere sweater to arrive. Should be tomorrow. I'll update when I get it.

Regarding trousers, I like wearing them and because I wear black jeans so much it feels refreshing. I had the black gabardine Saint Laurent 17.5 cm ones but outgrew them. I used to wear them with black crew neck SL sweaters and boots / shoes, or a white t shirt / shirt and black leather jacket. I've ordered the Celine classic Gabardine as well as a more lower waisted looking pair from Sandro so hopefully at least one of them will be good. I Iike them with sneakers but would never wear that look myself.

VinceCompost

Reaction score
VinceCompost the fact that every basic girl around is wearing baggy grey sweatpants, baggy blue 90s jeans, oversized blazers, varsities etc means it's not exactly cutting edge. I'm getting pretty bored of the silhouette already and it definitely doesn't feel cutting edge.

Agreed, it was cutting edge about 10 years ago. At the time it was too much for me. In the interim I warmed to it. Now it's probably too mainstream.

I guess I'll have to wait a year or two for skinny to become cutting edge again.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can imagine the Celine belt bags substituted for this look. Doesn't look that awful, so I am intrigued.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it abstractly. I was mainly focusing on the idea of a Belt bag worn with t-shirt or with a coat without being too thuggish.
1611270347214.png
1611270354256.png

I think it is a nice option for a small bag to be worn without needing to carry a lot of items. Feels a bit fresher and more masculine than tiny crossbody messenger bags...maybe.

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
I think it is FOMO stemming from recognizing how the kids are wearing trousers casually in place of jeans and I think there will be a "trickle up" effect and affect other generation groups soon. I get a feeling like they're trying to make a statement that trousers are no different than jeans. "We'll wear it if we like it. We don't subscribe to believing in their formality."
View attachment 1540299

There was this weird short amount of time where this fit was all over the internet. You'd click on the profile and it was just a hypebeast repost page or a guy who wore Supreme four weeks ago. Luckily it died very quickly. I guess people realized that wearing a wallet chain and a white shirt under everything wasn't that interesting.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tiny crossbody bags. Can feel like purses.
1611270688377.png

1611270900344.png

1611270925446.png

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was this weird short amount of time where this fit was all over the internet. You'd click on the profile and it was just a hypebeast repost page or a guy who wore Supreme four weeks ago. Luckily it died very quickly. I guess people realized that wearing a wallet chain and a white shirt under everything wasn't that interesting.
Hedi being more literal for ss21, and featuring this style two times.
1611271172914.png

1611271204968.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads