• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been tucking in my shoelaces for sneakers ever since ss16. Hedi has continued to hide them for his sneakers during shots. Gives a very clean look.

But he also lets them loose like normal as well.

I was a bit surprised seeing Hedi also tucking them in for dress shoes in this campaign shot.

Hedi had them tied sloppily vertically on runway
1611221873027.png

1611221920211.png

When laces are tied properly, they sit horizontally.
1611221982875.png

I feel like exposed bow looks more formal.
1611222156184.png

1611222267628.png

This makes me now want to primarily tuck them in when wearing dress shoes in "indie" looks.
1611222375961.png

1611222390731.png

1611222407287.png

I can see how tucking may look try hard...caring how your laces look. Maybe tying them incorrectly and having them lay vertically is least try hard...so sloppy without care.

Video on how to tuck laces in:

What do you guys think about this?

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
I've been tucking in my shoelaces for sneakers ever since ss16. Hedi has continued to hide them for his sneakers during shots. Gives a very clean look.

But he also lets them loose like normal as well.

I was a bit surprised seeing Hedi also tucking them in for dress shoes in this campaign shot.

Hedi had them tied sloppily vertically on runway
View attachment 1539789
View attachment 1539790

When laces are tied properly, they sit horizontally.
View attachment 1539792

I feel like exposed bow looks more formal.
View attachment 1539793
View attachment 1539794
This makes me now want to primarily tuck them in when wearing dress shoes in "indie" looks.
View attachment 1539795
View attachment 1539796
View attachment 1539797

I can see how tucking may look try hard...caring how your laces look. Maybe tying them incorrectly and having them lay vertically is least try hard...so sloppy without care.

Video on how to tuck laces in:

What do you guys think about this?

Oh man I hate to use the word cringe but that youtube channel absolutely made me cringe a while ago when I saw a video made by them talking about shoes women hate.

In any case I've been tucking in my laces as long as I can remember. Only for sneakers though.

CentrallyLocate

Reaction score
Friend bought a near-new Souvenir Jacket for like $300 on eBay recently, and having examined the tag, wash label etc in some detail im quite sure it’s real. You have to feel for people like the seller, who could have at least doubled the price on a certain other online clothes reselling platform.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was thinking about skate sneakers again, and I think the only way I can see myself incorporating it into my style spectrum is if I am wearing trousers casually, mimicking how modern skaters are wearing trousers while skating. But I wouldn't be wearing them with a full suit and tie.

1611235467838.png

More along the lines of something like this would be able to work itself into my wardrobe without looking incongruent.

1611235597313.png
1611235857254.png

This is how I would wear trousers casually, if I wanted to pair them with sneakers. But it can be argued that low tennis sneakers like Triomphe would work just as well, if not better. The leather just feels more luxe than canvas.
1611235597313.png
1611236254246.png

I'm curious how the Saint Laurent skate sneakers stack up. Not bad, but feels like I would only wear with cropped black trousers casually.
1611235597313.png
1611236555103.png

I guess cropped denim wouldn't be off the table if I'm going to wear cropped trousers. But the question I would ask myself is why would I want to wear trousers casually instead of black jeans. I think it would all boil down to wearing formal clothes ironically.

Last edited:

Randeep

Reaction score
But the question I would ask myself is why would I want to wear trousers casually instead of black jeans. I think it would all boil down to wearing formal clothes ironically.

Yeah maybe, but at that point, why would you even bother expanding (this might be wrong, you might already wear trousers) into trousers ironically, if 9 times out of 10 (another assumption) the fit with jeans might look a shade better... path of least resistance (especially when it's already arduous building the fit with jeans).

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's an interesting question. I have maybe 4-5 pairs of nice trousers, but wear them so little that I notice their hangers have accumulated dust! If I'm going to go formal, I wear a suit, if I'm going to smartly dressed, it's usually a blazer and skinny jeans or sweater, etc. The middle ground for me doesn't really include trousers; I sort of associate them with 80 y/os.

Bryan55

Reaction score
Fair points here. While I don’t wear trousers if I don’t wear jeans I’ll also wear skinny chinos, particularly on the rare occasions that I wear a blazer. In fact I have been thinking about wearing that look more often recently once we are able to go out again.

ASAPRice

Reaction score
I'll bust out trousers occasionally, definitely nowhere near as worn as my denim, but sometimes, I'm just in a trousers mood. Tend to wear em with blazers, sweaters, and my overcoats so my fits lean more formal with em, but I'll wear it wherever.

I actually just dropped 2 pairs of at the tailors (like an hour ago haha), so maybe I'll drop a few fits when I get em back. One pair has a snake leather print where a grosgrain tuxedo pant would be lined, and they're so fuckin sick, can't wait to wear em

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it is FOMO stemming from recognizing how the kids are wearing trousers casually in place of jeans and I think there will be a "trickle up" effect and affect other generation groups soon. I get a feeling like they're trying to make a statement that trousers are no different than jeans. "We'll wear it if we like it. We don't subscribe to believing in their formality."
1611263701937.png

Their exact version is a bit crude for my tastes, but Hedi easily made it a bit more elegant.
1611264029592.png

1611264073264.png

1611264125320.png

1611264139289.png

1611264221628.png

It does feel scary though as one of my biggest fears is being a hoarder, so I don't really want to expand my collection unnecessarily even if I can appreciate the style. There's an anti-Hedi narrative saying how he's "out of touch", but I find how surprisingly on trend he is at Celine. He's talking elements from youths today and recontextualizing it to elevate it, rather than being super literal. I feel like a lot of people didn't get it. A lot more understand ss21 because it was more literal which probably translated to it making more money if rumours are true.

VinceCompost

Reaction score
Well, having seen the bulk of the Fall 21 collections to date, I'm even more convinced that this thread is death's antechamber. Sorry my friends.

Raf is still batting for you with his new venture at Prada - although there are plenty of slouchy silhouettes there too. Oh, and Owens also mixes up the skinny with the sloppy. Other than that, there's pretty much only Undercover keeping it fully trim (although I have to say I rather liked the collection all the same).

Pretty much everywhere else is draped in asphyxiating quantities of loose fabric. But I guess you can take some solace in the fact that anything this fashionable can only become unfashionable again soon.

Still, I guess there's hope; not all the votes are in yet.

Lit Harington

Reaction score
Well, having seen the bulk of the Fall 21 collections to date, I'm even more convinced that this thread is death's antechamber. Sorry my friends.

Raf is still batting for you with his new venture at Prada - although there are plenty of slouchy silhouettes there too. Oh, and Owens also mixes up the skinny with the sloppy. Other than that, there's pretty much only Undercover keeping it fully trim (although I have to say I rather liked the collection all the same).

Pretty much everywhere else is draped in asphyxiating quantities of loose fabric. But I guess you can take some solace in the fact that anything this fashionable can only become unfashionable again soon.

Still, I guess there's hope; not all the votes are in yet.
is this a bait post?

you make it sound as if celine has been exclusively sending skinny jeans down the runway for the last couple of years, i'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make here. I don't mean to come across as aggro, I'm genuinely trying to figure out what you mean

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always had the impression that a lot of runway shows have been showing voluminous silhouettes even at the height of the skinny silhouette being mainstream. I think I care more about what resonates with the masses more than designers in their ivory towers creating art for art's sake. I think they're fine in doing what they're doing, but their mission doesn't resonate with me.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I subscribe to this same philosophy towards fragrances as well. A lot of fragrance enthusiasts really place niche fragrances on a pedestal. I get how some perfumers create art for art's sake, but some highly regarded niche scents are just not what I want to be projecting. I like niche too, but I think they're still quite tame compared to what's lauded in the community. The only non-Hedi "niche" fragrances in my collection are Molecule 01, Odeur 53, Bvlgari Black, and Helmut Lang Eau de Cologne.

VinceCompost

Reaction score
is this a bait post?

you make it sound as if celine has been exclusively sending skinny jeans down the runway for the last couple of years, i'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make here. I don't mean to come across as aggro, I'm genuinely trying to figure out what you mean

To recap: I first came in here ruffling feathers because there were lots of posts saying how ridiculous oversize looks are. As I've previously made clear, I don't really care one way or the other as I simply like clothes, whatever form they might take. But the conversation prior to my arrival felt like people who were reluctant to acknowledge that they felt threatened by the changing times. And so I said as much. There then followed a perhaps pointless discussion about which look is more fashionable (along with a perhaps more fruitful one about what being fashionable actually means). Unsurprisingly, however, the final consensus was that skinny was still cool. Relief all round.

My position all along has been that, even if frequently there are exceptions to the rule, there is always an overall popular silhouette that defines the times. The skinny one defined the times about 10-15 years ago, but it no longer does now IMO. Whether Celine fans care one way or the other about this is not really any of my business. And if you like skinny and feel good in it, and don't care about being cutting edge, then there's no reason to change. That seems to be the position some people take and that's cool. However, others suggested that either the old cyclical model of shifting from one silhouette to another had completely ended, or - in at least one case - that it was actually me who was unaware of what is currently fashionable. That's fine too. Although obviously it's not my opinion.

My above comment is me saying: I still think that my original position is correct. I.e. that the overall shift is still edging further and further in the direction of loose, baggy silhouettes. No more, no less. The fact that Hedi has sent some marginally looser looks down the runway in the last few years only further serves to convince me of this. And to circle back to the begininng again, my original comments in this thread were not so much about Hedi, but about what I felt were comments displaying a degree of insecurity in their dismissal of anything but a skinny silhouette.

I hope that's clearer. And not bait.

VinceCompost

Reaction score
I've always had the impression that a lot of runway shows have been showing voluminous silhouettes even at the height of the skinny silhouette being mainstream.

This is true. But at the time they were the exception, whereas now they are the majority and skinny appears to be the exception.

I think I care more about what resonates with the masses more than designers in their ivory towers creating art for art's sake

Eventually the art trickles down from those towers and the masses scramble to lick up the dregs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads