• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe they are only looking at my posts, as I'm a supporter of Vac now! I was surprised that SLP is still growing at such a pace but not too surprised looking at the expansiveness of the collections and the reference points in at least US cities.

I know he's a little trashy/sexy compared to Slimane haha but I don't mind that being American. ;) Sadly, I like a lot more of his stuff than the Celine collections. I view Vac's (Lang's?) contributions as different ways to riff on what HS established at SLP while referencing a similar Yves-Saint Laurent palette. Plus, it just fits me much better.

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem is that rather a lot of people who would also align with this identity frankly haven't got a ******* clue what they are talking about (e.g. the journalist, not you). They are happy to jerk their knees at any available opportunity, but haven't actually understood (or likely even read) any of the theories that lie behind the political arguments they espouse. The end result being that perfectly rational, valid, and just arguments are distorted beyond caricature making it easy work for anyone who disagrees with them to dismantle them. The reactionary right doesn't need strawman arguments when so many on the left do such an impressive job of mangling their own (otherwise valid) political theories beyond recognition.
We rather heatedly debated this issue in this thread during the black lives matter protests in teh usa this summer, and I'm not sure if you were around then (it was in response to a celebrity stylist calling out Slimane for not working with black celebrities). I was gonna write a huge post espousing all my views on this subject, but in the interests of not derailing the thread (assuming others don't want to discuss it), I'll invite you to dm me if you like.
Maybe they are only looking at my posts, as I'm a supporter of Vac now! I was surprised that SLP is still growing at such a pace but not too surprised looking at the expansiveness of the collections and the reference points in at least US cities.

I know he's a little trashy/sexy compared to Slimane haha but I don't mind that being American. ;) Sadly, I like a lot more of his stuff than the Celine collections. I view Vac's (Lang's?) contributions as different ways to riff on what HS established at SLP while referencing a similar Yves-Saint Laurent palette. Plus, it just fits me much better.
I've got a lot of time for Vacc as well, although I seem to be buying equal amounts of his SLP and Hedi's Celine. But I get the impression that we're a bit outliers in this regard, at least when I think of eg. thorns' vituperation when discussing VAcc,.

ASAPrice said something interesting during the VinceCompost oversize debate a few pages back, that has completely changed how I look at the direction Celine is heading in. I still really dislike the aesthetic he is cultivating there, that has not changed--but ASAP made the point that Hedi Slimane has designed and put out so many items in his work at Dior, SLP and Celine, that there's a lot you can buy if those styles still interest you, although obviously only on the second hand market nowadays.

This made me reflect upon why I was so emotionally invested in my disgust towards Dancing Kid. I think I still want to buy new stuff that he designs, which I prefer to the second hand market--but I also think there's an irrational rooting for Hedi Slimane the way sports' fans follow their teams which I was guilty of.

Anyway, this may be a mundane point, but I wanted to give props to ASAP

Malour

Reaction score
As many of Phoebe Philo’s clients quit Celine — in favour of Bottega Veneta, the Row and Hermès, some said — Slimane’s fans at Saint Laurent seemed happy to stay put. On menswear forums where “Slimaniacs” still gather, Vaccarello’s propositions are still discussed as viable options two years more than two years after Hedi returned to the business at Celine.
"Featured in a BoF article" is now on my LinkedIn.

ViceofGucci

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of vacs since he's reusing old Slimane designs and making them in different colors like the red suede trucker. As others have stated Slimane has released so many items that I pretty much just shop on the secondary market or outlets. Probably fragrances will be the only item I purchase full price at this point unless I desire something as strongly as the Wyatt when I first tried on it.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ASAPrice said something interesting during the VinceCompost oversize debate a few pages back, that has completely changed how I look at the direction Celine is heading in. I still really dislike the aesthetic he is cultivating there, that has not changed--but ASAP made the point that Hedi Slimane has designed and put out so many items in his work at Dior, SLP and Celine, that there's a lot you can buy if those styles still interest you, although obviously only on the second hand market nowadays.
I agree with these feelings. I think there's an element of honouring his past work when making a conscious decision in choosing those pieces instead.

This made me reflect upon why I was so emotionally invested in my disgust towards Dancing Kid. I think I still want to buy new stuff that he designs, which I prefer to the second hand market--but I also think there's an irrational rooting for Hedi Slimane the way sports' fans follow their teams which I was guilty of.
I think that makes the disappointment make a lot of sense. That expectation/pressure you put on yourself to be personally involved with the newest collections, can make almost anyone feel betrayed if they don't resonate with the collection.

As others have stated Slimane has released so many items that I pretty much just shop on the secondary market or outlets.
I think Hedi's universe is so vast that it is more about finding your own niche within it. However, I appreciate his fans who are ready to jump on the latest thing so that he can continue designing as long as possible.

Probably fragrances will be the only item I purchase full price at this point unless I desire something as strongly as the Wyatt when I first tried on it.
Brands periodically raises prices. I just caught them raising the prices of the fragrances a couple months back. They raise them bit by bit year by year. Same product, but sold at a higher price point just for the sake of it. More advantageous to get it as early as possible.

Last edited:

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hedi's fw19 silhouette looking very on trend with one of South Korea's trendy silhouettes.
1611106449074.png

1611106620367.png

Super angular boots are in trend. I appreciate Hedi choosing rangers instead. Super sharp angles is more tryhard than more classical round toe rangers.

Last edited:

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oversized shoulders is one of the popular trends
1611106912738.png

funkyprez

Reaction score
Does anyone have the Celine ranger boots? Any reviews? I am somewhat tempted but considering some of the QC issues with the other boots that have been posted here I’m not sure if I should pick them up.

I have the FW19 version (plain black, without the buckles), but they look identical to the Dancing Kid ones.

Mine have held up nicely, haven’t experienced QC issues. Easy to break in if I recall. I sized down .5 as there was too much heel slippage in my TTS, which may be less of an issue if you plan to wear with thick socks. Only regret is not having had the chance to beat them up this season.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ss21 worn feels so similar to 90s
1611114749952.png

1611114899701.png

1611115769062.png

Johnny Depp
1611115613217.png

1611115051289.png

1611115059457.png

1611115072041.png

1611115082881.png

Last edited:

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Article on ss21: https://skummi.medium.com/celine-by...-can-be-a-profit-making-strategy-7f2724dc2e14

I disagree with the common criticism that Slimane should create an eponymous label instead of switching up familiar codes of historic houses. His vision is well defined and takes after nobody but himself. At Saint Laurent, Slimane proved he could transform a historic fashion house into something grander. Saint Laurent is as French as fashion gets, but the inspiration for Slimane’s designs was from Los Angeles. His LA-inspired Parisian fashion annoyed some snobs, but the profits speaks for itself. In marrying the unexpected, he created some of the most original artworks, displayed on hangers in stores, that were sold out over and over again.
It is often hard for me to mistake the Celine girl for the Saint Laurent girl. The differences between the Celine boy and Saint Laurent boy may be more subtle. I feel like although the pieces, as stand alone objects, may be similar, the whole story is different. I feel like someone who doesn't take the time to understand what's going on can easily create some mismatch fusion that feels weird. I wouldn't be mad if Hedi pulled a Karl and was managing both Saint Laurent and Celine. Those two brands just feel different enough for me to imagine that scenario of them co-existing.

I'm seen people wearing this kind of style paired with harness Wyatts. The sweater+shirt+tie really clashed with the boots.
1611118037217.png

The late Karl Lagerfeld, synonymous with Chanel’s designs before he passed, also said:

“What I do Coco would have hated. The label has an image and it’s up to me to update it. I do what she never did. I had to find my mark. I had to go from what Chanel was to what it should be, could be, what it had been to something else.”
Novelty drives the business of fashion and is ignited by letting go of what’s past. I’m glad Slimane paid no heed to popular notions of what Celine needs to be or what it used to be for his latest menswear collection. It’s a breath of fresh air.
People don't know what they want. They say one thing, but they don't actually truly want it. They wanted Hedi to copy Phoebe...but if that happened they would criticize it for being a cheap copy and not original like Phoebe. They'll justify that it isn't worth buying since it is a man designing and ripping off Phoebe.

1611118795872.png

The old codes were rewritten with the French Tricolour. Red, white and blue unapologetically adorned windbreakers, sneakers and bumbags, as if proclaiming France’s eventual victory over the ongoing pandemic.
I didn't connect the dots that the colour can represent the French flag.
1611118879531.png

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like Hedi took the ss21 campaign shots at the same venue. I guess it is fine since this isn't technically a runway and is a real life setting. Does makes the pieces look much better than "runway".

1611126404376.png

Last edited:

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the reason why I didn't really like the runway presentation is because of how bright it is. The campaign image is filtered to look darker. The colours in the runway was shot so bright and feels nauseating.
1611129388328.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads