• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
Saint Laurent x Celine:

The look is entirely incongruent...but I think that's what makes it modern. Varsity jacket with "soft" font text + Biker jeans + pointy sleek dress boots. It is still all black which helps with meshing everything together.

One of my biggest pet peeves with the "SLP aesthetic" has always been boots with skinny jeans that have an opening that is way too tight around the shaft. It throws the entire style off if you can see the shape of the boots under the jeans. It's not as apparent in the other pictures but he looks so goofy in the first picture, almost like a cartoon character. The whole outfit would be better if just the hems were a bit wider. That was also my issue with Harry Styles back when people thought he was some sort of SLP god.

I'm rambling so instead of a pet peeve this may be a psychotic hatred of mine. : )

clskier

Reaction score
You're not alone in that belief-for me, a big reason why I'm a fan of the D02 and JE Cast 2 denim cuts (haven't tried the Celine equivalent yet) is because they're cut so well off the rack to be skinny without being so tight that someone can see everything. I've always seen ultra-tight denim as being a lazy way of pursing the whole "SLP aesthetic", and coming from raw/heavyweight denim I can't stand jeans that are more stretch than they are cotton.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Hedi sent him the runway version with the protruding nose

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
You're not alone in that belief-for me, a big reason why I'm a fan of the D02 and JE Cast 2 denim cuts (haven't tried the Celine equivalent yet) is because they're cut so well off the rack to be skinny without being so tight that someone can see everything. I've always seen ultra-tight denim as being a lazy way of pursing the whole "SLP aesthetic", and coming from raw/heavyweight denim I can't stand jeans that are more stretch than they are cotton.

You're right and I'll ad the Celine SK001 to that list as well. That pair fit me so well off the rack and the hem is just wide enough to fall over the shaft of my boots.

The main thing fast fashion companies like H&M did wrong is that they just made really skinny jeans with a ton of stretch in them, which doesn't work because if you're wearing either shoes or boots your feet will look big. The transition from skin tight to boot/shoe is just too big.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like a bit of a gap between the boot and the jeans, so that when worn with no break they stick out at the sides a little. It works well with slim too but looks more extreme.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1607016832259.png

I find the boy and girl match quite well here. She's only wearing a Celine bag but I feel her outfit channels what Hedi is pushing. Nice couple look. I just can't help but feel it is way too soft.

Then again it was probably his voice and energy that affected my judgement of the overall outfit. I do think edge comes from within, and it will make any outfit a bit edgier if the personality has it.

1607017515140.png

1607017526040.png

1607017576630.png

1607017642204.png

1607017651346.png

1607017660528.png

1607017677343.png

1607017687243.png

1607017702067.png

1607017710381.png

1607017717322.png

1607017755074.png

1607017767168.png

1607017789927.png

1607017807251.png

1607017816475.png

1607017841462.png

1607017873525.png

1607017940714.png

Last edited:

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like most men look terrible with long hair (most of the pics above), but look ******* amazing when it works.

Also, these two have that intangible quality that used to be a cliche on this forum circa 2010 known as "swag". They're wearing cool clothes, and look at ease in it. A lot of the people from the thorns archive look awkward. This guy's hair looks perfect too.

MotionInReverse

Reaction score
I feel like most men look terrible with long hair (most of the pics above), but look ******* amazing when it works.

Also, these two have that intangible quality that used to be a cliche on this forum circa 2010 known as "swag". They're wearing cool clothes, and look at ease in it. A lot of the people from the thorns archive look awkward. This guy's hair looks perfect too.
Speaking of which, what cuts are you guys rocking? My mop is passed my shoulders currently. (No undercuts please)

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score

I like long hair on men in a lot of cases, however for me there are a few cases in which it doesn't work. Like if your hair is thin and straight or if you're short and already quite feminine in facial features. It also just depends on personality. I think it works for most guys in Thorns' post.

Maybe I'm biased since I haven't gotten my hair cut in 17 months.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bag looks quite nice. Would be good for this look.

It's a little bit briefcase-like without being full briefcase. The 2010s indie look is just so nice.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, these two have that intangible quality that used to be a cliche on this forum circa 2010 known as "swag". They're wearing cool clothes, and look at ease in it.
Yeah, clothes and accessories are interesting but the really most important thing is the "energy" of the individual. If I had to rank the elements that make up a cool look it would be like this.
  1. Energy of the individual
  2. Proportions of the individual
  3. Actual pieces
Energy is something that is elusive. I'm not sure how I would describe it. The effortlessly cool vibe. I think only candid shots can do that nowadays, unless it is obvious that it is a photoshoot. Posing for the camera on social media just has this corny element to it, but I might be outdated. Perhaps with social media being the norm, it is no longer considered contrived to take a selfie to show the world your outfit of the day. However, I will be the first to show gratitude that people are showing styling on social media as it gives me more ideas. I understand why they look awkward, but I'm also very appreciative of them.

zeogo

Reaction score
For anyone who owns the supposed AW13 SLP style cut of Celine denim discussed earlier in this thread -

Does anyone have fit pics? Would also be great to know what the leg opening measurement is?

Laissez-faire

Reaction score
Last edited:

zeogo

Reaction score
Thank you! Are you happy with them/agree they're a good comparator to early SLP?

15.5 isn't really THAT skinny. Do you think it's possible to taper them or do they have those overlapping seams (don't know the technical term) on both the outside and inside leg like a lot of the Celine denim? Presuming they have 34 inch inside leg?

Randeep

Reaction score
They are not a good comparator, early season SLP (for majority of the D02), for a size 30 was 14.5-15. I think the blowouts might even be 14 (I can get you measurements on weekend if you're really pining for them).

The black 'skinny' jeans from Celine are not not as skinny from the knee down I found. Also the seams (or whatever they're correctly called) were on both sides of the Celine jeans I tried (I guess to replicate the more vintage look) so not sure about tapering either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics