• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Growing up, I've heard people specifically going to Paris to get the latest fashion items. Nowadays, they might have to go to Asia for the latest releases. Most of my pictures is from Instagram users using #celine, #celinebyhedislimane, or #hedislimane as their hashtags, I wonder if that plays a role in skewing perceptions of which market is most engaged in Celine. I do know it skews towards Japanese and maybe Korean fans. I've also searched for #셀린느 (Korean translation for Celine), but I find it mostly just featuring the bags. I feel like a lot of Chinese fans are on Weibo but I don't know how to use it.

I don't know if I'm imaging it or not, but I felt like there was a lot more North American engagement with Hedi's Saint Laurent on Instagram. Even beyond Instagram, there was engagement on Reddit and they would make a guide to talk about the "SLP Aesthetic". I always felt that it was heavily fw13 that was what people associated Hedi's Saint Laurent with. It was the first official men's show, so I think that played a role in cementing in people's mind what Hedi's Saint Laurent is about. It also came at a time when grunge was really popular. I also feel like the general impression of the Saint Laurent boy is a stereotypical bad boy. I think there is a large market of people who want to feel cool and badass in their clothes.

Celine, on the other hand, had a strong first impression of that 80s new wave look for ss19.
1606923014758.png

1606923034569.png

1606923128729.png

1606923139614.png

1606923153043.png

1606923164109.png

1606923186691.png

There are still leather jackets, and overall pretty edgy. It feels like it leans European bad boy. Perhaps this is the disconnect that made it difficult for the North American crowd to resonate with the image Hedi was crafting for Celine. However, people could really just buy separates and style them however they want. But perception shapes our reality, and I understand how styling presented might have alienated the people who were attracted to Saint Laurent. Personally I feel like the "bad boy/edgy" vibe comes from within the individual rather than the clothes. An individual's energy completes the look, and different people wearing the same pieces will project a different image.

I do like the idea of treating each season as a standalone collection that people can wear year round. So really it is about finding the season(s) that appeal to you the most and deep diving into it.

Last edited:

rebirth12

Reaction score

The Pages boot looks really nice with the entire look. The idea of wearing heels in daylight does perplex me a bit. I can totally see this entire look working really nice as a night party look. I do like the setting, and I do feel it pairs with the look. I might just be too old fashioned to accept the normalization of men wearing heels. Women wear heels all the time, day and night, so theoretically it should be fine for men as well.

Personally, not really feeling the pants sitting so on top of the boots. IMO a bigger flare covering more of the boot would make them look much better and more cohesive

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The ss19 Jacno 60 shape is perfect for the slim pants. I like how the jeans are cropped and there is a separation between fabric of the jeans and the leather shaft of the boots. Feels very chic.

That said, I feel like stacking skinny jeans is also another way the boots can be worn. It is difficult for me to accept that the runway presentation is the only way. Especially when we have Jacnos with flares in later seasons.

The messiness adds a little ruggedness to the look. It is definitely less chic than runway styling.

Hedi wears his Jacno 60s similar to fw13 runway.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The way that the pants are cropped and there is space between pants and shaft of the Pages boot here is again very chic.

Pants that are just right gives it a more conservative feeling.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some nice stuff on sale. I'd go for some of the black knitwear but I'm cautious after the short length on the fine merino.

I'm considering the leather sleeves varsity, and the slim jeans. The varsity looks great on Peter Utz in a similar model, I'm just not sure it will work as well for me. He has a very classic look in everything he wears, whereas I feel like I could end up looking a bit streetwear in it.

The slim jeans description says raw hem, but the pictures have regular hems so I need to phone or email to clarify. I rarely wear slim, but still useful in the collection and I can imagine myself moving more in that direction in the future.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if the small buckle western belts were available or are likely to become available? Very nice

20200302-Celine-09.jpg

I must say I do wish all the jackets were as fitted as this denim. This picture fits almost exactly the same in the shoulders my permanent collection denim from Saint Laurent that has shrunk over time from being washed so much (probably my favourite jacket despite costing far less than a lot of my other jackets). Still have a brand new one as a back up that's unworn luckily as I like it so much.

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
There were so many great stylists working with SL stuff. I see hardly any decent editorials with Celine. It's a shame.

This is so true but at the same time they don't exactly make it easy. It's sad that a few power hungry idiots control most of that.

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
Love that flannel; looks great!

Am I the only one who tucks in my flannels? That probably represents my fastidiousness or OCD. ;)

I wouldn't tuck this one and I would get my tailor to add some darts, it looks too bulky for my style. I don't mind oversized as long as the proportions are good. Everybody's body and style is different.

Last edited:

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
Perhaps this will be the new "uniform" for Hedi boys on social media:
View attachment 1508636

Leather jacket
Celine logo t-shirt
Jeans
Boots

I recently wore leather jacket T-shirt jeans and drug store boots for a fall look but it was not the Celine shirt it was a vintage Joy Division shirt that I found online. I feel this is a standard fall look for anybody.

Last edited:

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
Same! I like both the mouth and the clown knits. And I'm very happy the clown knit without the disgusting nose from the runway went into production.

I like the mouth, the clown sample on the runway is completely different from the one that they produced but I'm still not wearing that. It seems very teenage to me whereas I love the mouth.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently wore leather jacket T-shirt jeans and drug store boots for a fall look but it was not the Celine shirt it was a vintage Joy Division shirt that I found online. I feel this is a standard fall look for anybody.
I think the sans serif brand logo t-shirt is the key that makes it "modern". It used to be leather jacket + flannel, but I can imagine the modern Hedi boy on Instagram accepting logomania. It really does feel like a callback to Helmut Lang.

1606972944932.png

1606972977938.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads