• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Federico rocks the single monk Jacnos really well in both casual and more dressed up looks:

1606718970423.png

1606718992591.png

1606719016928.png

1606719037697.png

1606719059028.png

1606718335957.png

1606720400318.png

1606718351499.png

1606719100048.png

1606719132848.png

The single monk Jacnos has the versatility of being worn with more dressed up styles and more dressed down styles. As a shoe, it gives off a more sophisticated feeling than boots. There is this almost rebelliousness when paired with more casual clothes. It feels like there is a deliberate play with the codes of the bourgeois. Also, when everyone else is wearing boots or sneakers with a similar outfit, you wearing single monk shoes does make you stand out.

Last edited:

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The single monks are easy. Jeans with no break like the picture of Hedi, and they can go with anything from denim jackets in darker colours, varsities, and leathers with t-shirts, all the way through to white shirt and black blazer. See some of the staff for this. I wear mine with a black crew neck sweater sometimes too.

The loafers are a bit harder and look best with the more teddy rockabilly styles like varsities etc, or with the more bourgeois signature Celine style.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasn't too much of a fan of the fw14 creepers, but the fw19 creepers feel just right with the balance of it. The fw14 is way more punk, while the fw19 version looks more elegant while still having a little playfulness/edge with the sleekness:
1606731175547.png

1606731235046.png

Some nice styling with creepers:

Kind of sad it is just a seasonal item that isn't being carried over. Perfect for that academic look. But I guess Academy, Drugstore, Jacno 30s, and Lucos can be substituted in its place. Just judging from webstore, perhaps Academies are being discontinued too.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This video made me have more understanding and empathy towards people who see Hedi as always doing the same thing and as a one trick pony.

It is interesting how different we process information as we start sorting the information in our minds and making connections and differences. Those photoshoots changed my perception towards creepers in general. I was never a fan of them as they always seemed too punk rock and costume-y. Same with single monks. I wasn't really into even the Saint Laurent ones Hedi did since monk strap shoes always had a more Italian business menswear connotation in my mind.

1606734564551.png

1606734593455.png

Ss19 changed my entire perspective, and know I actually quite like the Saint Laurent single monks as well. It can be a nice dress shoe slightly more casual than derbies or oxfords.

Currently what I'm struggling with recontextualizing would be the loafers. Loafers in general feel very boring because of its connotations with menswear/prep. The only thing that pops up in my mind for loafers is Japanese school uniform shoes.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loafers were a rockabilly / teddy thing so thy're easy to style in that way. Just hard not to look too 1950s.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Saint Laurent single monks weren't bad. They were in a shoot with Declan Cullen where they looked nice. I have the Derby on the same Blake last but they've seen better days now. Very nice shoe though and easy to wear.

The Jacno single monk beats the Saint Laurent one when it comes to casual wear though, but I'd prefer the Saint Laurent one with smarter clothes.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I showed a lot of pictures of skinny cropped pants paired with Jacno 30s, but having it slightly longer and relaxed shouldn't be an issue either.
1606747520393.png

1606747597239.png

1606747653324.png

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frederico rocks everything well!

I see what you mean with the artful, playfulness of Celine. Is that Beck above in the Celine varsity jacket and purple socks? Personifies that archetype perfectly.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does Hedi have a trademark on the clean, B&W instagram post, because SL and others (e.g., Chanel) are riffing on it. ;)

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 1.59.14 PM.png

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This video made me have more understanding and empathy towards people who see Hedi as always doing the same thing and as a one trick pony.

It is interesting how different we process information as we start sorting the information in our minds and making connections and differences. Those photoshoots changed my perception towards creepers in general. I was never a fan of them as they always seemed too punk rock and costume-y. Same with single monks. I wasn't really into even the Saint Laurent ones Hedi did since monk strap shoes always had a more Italian business menswear connotation in my mind.

Sidenote, but this is really bothering me. That video is ridiculously wrong, which anyone with an understanding of ancient Greek could attest. There are multiple reasons, but one example of colour: the words used for green and blue were functionally the same in Homeric Greek, so it's not that blue wasn't there - it was just called something else.

Sorry for the digression, but this had to be clarified. Now I can relax.

Last edited:

Randeep

Reaction score
Really warming to those monkstraps.

Can anyone clarify the differences between the two on the web store? Both are described as “CELINE JACNO BUCKLE SHOE IN SHINY CALFSKIN”:

vs

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads