• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Camargue Bikers styled in a Saint Laurent-esque look:
1606102974046.png

I guess the argument would be if everyone is wearing harness Wyatts around you, you would stand out with the Camargue Bikers. But the rigid part of my brain wants Saint Laurent looks to be paired with only the Wyatts, and the Celine looks to be paired with only the Camargues/Jacnos even if this might be very arbitrary.

Last edited:

Trixz

Reaction score
Here’s a few pics of the opera wash denim and the mid lace triomphe’s. The lighting at my new place isn’t the best but it will give you an idea, especially @kieran84 because I know you were eyeing the denim jacket. It’s hard to see but the wash is as great in person as it is on the website. Also to note, I’ve been playing with proportions with both the denims with the mid lace and the under garments beneath the denim jacket. I included one with just a tee, so you could see the ‘oversized’-ness to it but I think it’s just perfect for a hoody underneath. Some things I think I’ve learned:
  • Stacks on hi-tops or mid-lace make one appear shorter. Where as my ‘cropped’ denim look better.
  • Rolling the denim makes one appear shorter.
  • Too long of a base hoody (my JE Villian) beneath the jacket shortens length. In contrast a garment slightly longer in length with the jacket looks dope. My zip hoody even looked better.
  • Mid lace sneakers look more youthful in comparison to my lows that I’m useful.
Any feedback is welcome both compliments or improvements. A53792E3-CCF6-49F1-B94A-AE66333BEEB3.jpeg 1DA13A7C-77BA-4EFB-98C1-203EB1830276.jpeg 62E71859-95E1-4E37-ABC9-B76824212423.jpeg 561DAFD9-91C7-4278-B13A-3FA043FBBBE9.jpeg 7C0943CF-23EE-42B9-8213-EF057218F475.jpeg 90C00C0E-40CD-4EE9-8CC1-43B171F1002F.jpeg F596D4B6-093D-4234-8737-0D37C2DBDB61.jpeg 2D287431-7C58-4871-8A85-C81E41F02686.jpeg F8353AD3-A2FE-4887-9EB3-6C683F4FA44A.jpeg 92ABD0D0-D630-4B52-89BB-1F8DC20081EF.jpeg

On a side note, I purchased the checked cotton flannel off mr porter. In MN you can never have enough flannel and this one looks pretty warm and nice.
9D353620-FA83-4253-A2D3-E69A02EC5A35.png

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with you on the length of tops and jackets/coats can affect the visual perception of someone's leg lengths. I usually find the simple formula of 1/3s be pretty nice rough guideline. I feel like it is easy to look visually pleasing when your top comprises of 1/3 of the outfit and everything below comprises the remaining 2/3rds. Cropped jackets is one way to visually elongate your frame. This is what illustrates best what I mean:
1606110328568.png

The shorter length of the t-shirt shows more of your legs.

I might have gotten used to it, but I don't think stacking or cuffs play too much of an impact on shortening the lower half of the body, since I think there is an expectation and understanding of where the anatomy of the legs are for people. However, nothing will beat flares/bootcuts for a very lengthening effect. It makes the lower half be more than just 2/3rds of the look. My only concern is that these wider hem pants feel a bit more dramatic for day-to-day looks.

The mids look stylish on you, and I think your jeans look good with them. Only suggestion I have is to tuck your laces in like ss16 runway for a cleaner look:
1606110270536.png

I know long hoodies and t-shirts popularized by Jerry Lorenzo is popular, but I'm not really into it. I prefer more fitted hoodies rather than long hoodies if I'm not intentionally pushing for an oversized look like ss21.
1606110733834.png

vs
1606110854981.png

For this look, I would be curious how cuffing your denim jacket sleeves would look:
1606110902487.png

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
The more I look at the Celine mens stuff, the more I like the women's stuff.

A look like this is something I can actually see myself wearing (apart from the bag), opposed to any men's look from SS21, or any of the looks on Mr. Porter. Some mid or high rise jeans, a cool graphic tee and a nice blazer.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's nice and it really feels like the narrative being pushed since ss19 that some looks can be worn by both men and women without being just some gimmick:
1606128071036.png

Now I might be reaching, but I do think some guys would feel uncomfortable even entertaining the idea of the outfit just because a woman is wearing it, and that it has now been categorized as a woman's outfit.

I do think there is basically a "diffusion line" built into the brand, without officially being labelled as a diffusion line. A brand has to cater to different demographics to make as much money as possible, and this can make it appear schizophrenic in its vision. Thinking this way allows me to better process what Hedi is doing at Celine.

lrc75006

Reaction score
Yeah, that's nice and it really feels like the narrative being pushed since ss19 that some looks can be worn by both men and women without being just some gimmick:
View attachment 1502749

Now I might be reaching, but I do think some guys would feel uncomfortable even entertaining the idea of the outfit just because a woman is wearing it, and that it has now been categorized as a woman's outfit.

I do think there is basically a "diffusion line" built into the brand, without officially being labelled as a diffusion line. A brand has to cater to different demographics to make as much money as possible, and this can make it appear schizophrenic in its vision. Thinking this way allows me to better process what Hedi is doing at Celine.

It's a suit. If a guy is uncomforable wearing a suit, because a woman wore it, then they have quite a few issues to address.

And regarding the diffusion line idea, are you speaking to this SS21 collection as a whole, or to the pre-launch with the hoodies and branded pieces?

For me, it's along the same lines as he did at Saint Laurent with FW15 to SS16 albeit his Celine collection being a bit more extreme. The difference this time around is that the pendulum swung in such a different direction that the idea of catering to different demographics is glaringly obvious. For this reason, and the fact that the prices are still sky high, I can't regard any of this as a diffusion line, even in an abstract way. If that really was the goal, it should be labelled as a capsule collection.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trixz - loving the wash on the oversized denim jacket!

I'll share a few pics below of the black denim, shearling jacket I picked up with SL this week. Love it to pieces for some strange reason. There's something comforting to denim (especially paired with a cozy warm interior - we need it in PA too).

Paired it with the skinny black Celine denim. Of course, all black is impossible for me to photograph well, but really enjoy these jeans, too.

Those mids are incredible. I do prefer them to the lows.

I hear you about the length of the jackets/hoodies. I like a cropped look, but sometimes the sleeves are only cropped when bending one's arm, unless you want to trust the tailor to take it up from the shoulder, which I view as perilous except done at maybe Dior. ;)

Finally, that flannel seems a sage purchase. I like the blue one in the new collection, too. I've been to MN a few times in the winter, and would live in flannel.

Photo on 11-23-20 at 9.12 AM #3.jpg

Photo on 11-23-20 at 9.12 AM #4.jpg

Photo on 11-23-20 at 9.13 AM #3.jpg

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a suit. If a guy is uncomforable wearing a suit, because a woman wore it, then they have quite a few issues to address.
This line of logic can be used for certain handbags too. Especially the Cabas de France.
1606139929778.png

When confronted with the reality that a man in a TV show set in the 1950s was using a similar bag, it did make some members have feelings of disbelief that shocked their framework. This led them to rationalize how improbable this reality is and come up with an alternate version to reality.

Other member(s) have expressed feelings where Anna's outfits for ss20 was a sign that showed how Hedi's womenswear was superior to his menswear.
1606140154330.png

1606140184605.png

While I agree with your sentiments, I wouldn't be so quick to judge them for "having issues". I prefer to look at it as humans wanting neat little boxes and categories when they are processing information around them. The look is presented in a womenswear show, therefore this is only for women. Hedi isn't making a big deal about explicitly mentioning that he is blurring the lines at Celine, so I can understand why a casual observer would not notice the nuance about that here.

And regarding the diffusion line idea, are you speaking to this SS21 collection as a whole, or to the pre-launch with the hoodies and branded pieces?
I'm so thankful that you asked this question. This has made me realize why the brand keeps things vague. Their desire is to allow customers to mix different pieces from different tiers (without explicitly pointing out the tiered system). The term diffusion line is less accurate than a tiered system:
  1. Tier 1: formal wear
    1606140786058.png

1606140847505.png
  2. Tier 2: formal-casual wear
    1606140870691.png

1606140886024.png
  3. Tier 3: casual wear
    1606140934273.png

1606141187718.png
Even though I put it as 3 distinct categories, the reality is that the lines are blurry. Also, all "3 categories" are intended to be mixed and matched. Sneaker with suit. Leather jacket with hoodie. I would put branded pieces to be lower than the formal wear category. Ultimately, all this categorizing is meaningless. People who rely on intuition will just buy the pieces they like and wear them however they like. I do this just for fun. I am trying to process what Hedi is doing as a creative director, so that I can "survive" when he leaves fashion.

For me, it's along the same lines as he did at Saint Laurent with FW15 to SS16 albeit his Celine collection being a bit more extreme. The difference this time around is that the pendulum swung in such a different direction that the idea of catering to different demographics is glaringly obvious. For this reason, and the fact that the prices are still sky high, I can't regard any of this as a diffusion line, even in an abstract way. If that really was the goal, it should be labelled as a capsule collection.
I do agree that ss16 is coming from a similar approach. I would interpret that the major catalyst for ss21 is the shift of the mainstream audience embracing a more and more casual wardrobe. Fw13's grunge was also no random occurrence back in 2013. One of Hedi's approaches has always been surveying the landscape and producing his own spin on it.

My choice of words isn't fully capturing what I mean when I say "diffusion brand". But I do think there are some elements that is relevant to what I mean. I see that people are willing to buy certain pieces because of the brand's image. A graphic print t-shirt is a dime a dozen, but the Celine one carries association with the Hedi's Celine brand. Aside from design, the brand's identity plays a major role in whether those "diffusion" or "tiered" pieces will be desirable.

Pricing to me doesn't factor in how I interpret the "role" of the piece in the bigger context of what Hedi is doing. How many pieces they want to sell plays a role in what price they set, and vice versa. I don't really know too much about the economics of fashion, but I do know LVMH wants to make money. Part of making money is ensuring that the customers find the pieces desirable. The demographic that are attracted to designer products often want to feel exclusive. Setting an inappropriate price may affect these customers' evaluation of a brand's worth.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll share a few pics below of the black denim, shearling jacket I picked up with SL this week. Love it to pieces for some strange reason. There's something comforting to denim (especially paired with a cozy warm interior - we need it in PA too).

View attachment 1502837

View attachment 1502838

View attachment 1502839
I quite like the look, especially the dress shirt underneath the crewneck sweater. I could imagine a narrative where you wore a blazer earlier then switched jackets to head out, but kept the rest of the outfit the same. Similar vibes to this:
1606145260884.png

He took off his pinstripe jacket and switched to a leather jacket.

Malour

Reaction score
The more I look at the Celine mens stuff, the more I like the women's stuff.

A look like this is something I can actually see myself wearing (apart from the bag), opposed to any men's look from SS21, or any of the looks on Mr. Porter. Some mid or high rise jeans, a cool graphic tee and a nice blazer.

Exactly! It just looks really cool

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No doubt Celine's womenswear looks great across the board from the bourgeois classic that we lightly discussed a while back to the more contemporary SS 21 collection which tout le monde loves. I wouldn't mind Celine raking in the revenues on the womenswear to fund Hedi's artistic projects, whether it's the haute parfumerie, the menswear, or maybe a higher end tailoring line.

bbconair

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here’s a few pics of the opera wash denim and the mid lace triomphe’s. The lighting at my new place isn’t the best but it will give you an idea, especially @kieran84 because I know you were eyeing the denim jacket. It’s hard to see but the wash is as great in person as it is on the website. Also to note, I’ve been playing with proportions with both the denims with the mid lace and the under garments beneath the denim jacket. I included one with just a tee, so you could see the ‘oversized’-ness to it but I think it’s just perfect for a hoody underneath. Some things I think I’ve learned:
  • Stacks on hi-tops or mid-lace make one appear shorter. Where as my ‘cropped’ denim look better.
  • Rolling the denim makes one appear shorter.
  • Too long of a base hoody (my JE Villian) beneath the jacket shortens length. In contrast a garment slightly longer in length with the jacket looks dope. My zip hoody even looked better.
  • Mid lace sneakers look more youthful in comparison to my lows that I’m useful.
Any feedback is welcome both compliments or improvements. View attachment 1502681 View attachment 1502682 View attachment 1502683 View attachment 1502684 View attachment 1502685 View attachment 1502686 View attachment 1502687 View attachment 1502688 View attachment 1502689 View attachment 1502690

On a side note, I purchased the checked cotton flannel off mr porter. In MN you can never have enough flannel and this one looks pretty warm and nice.
View attachment 1502698
that's a really nice flannel. does celine do a lot of collabs already?

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Celine raking in the revenues on the womenswear to fund Hedi's artistic projects, whether it's the haute parfumerie, the menswear, or maybe a higher end tailoring line.
While browsing the Essentiels collection on the webstore, I noticed they added 4 fragrances into that collection. They added Reptile, Eau de Californie, Parade, and Black Tie. It should be no surprise that Reptile, Parade, and Black Tie made it since these 3 are Hedi's favourites. I wonder if Eau de Californie was added because it is one of their better sellers. I wonder if they would be discontinuing certain fragrances that don't sell as well as others.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed, I could see Reptile (night out), Parade (feeling debonair), and Black Tie (feeling fancy) forming a perfect trifecta in the essentials collection. Maybe Eau De Californie for weekends and casual Fridays (or casual everyday on the left coast). I should pick up that scent.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Aiguise earring looks very interesting.
1606149603478.png

1606149691187.png

1606149699520.png

I think Celine has some of my favourite earrings. The Saint Laurent ones always just felt tacky and gimmicky for me, while Celine has some really nice classier pieces. I'm quite into simpler designs that are more subtle, instead of loud ones that shout. I can see how younger people might like the louder dangling ones. The dainty ones in geometric shapes and hoops are just so beautiful.

It is so nice when there are multiple tiny geometric ones on one ear:

Tiny earring on his right ear just look nice:
1606150344234.png

1606151968269.png

It feels refined in an era of "more is better" or "getting iced out". I'm not really into diamond studded earrings because of the hip hop association.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads