• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing more casual chunkier footwear in general feels like a great way to tone down how formal a suit is. This has been one of Hedi's templates for a long time. I kind of wish it caught on more.

View attachment 1487128
View attachment 1487127
View attachment 1487130
View attachment 1487131
View attachment 1487132
View attachment 1487133
View attachment 1487134
View attachment 1487137
View attachment 1487135

View attachment 1487138

Tom Ford has been doing boots and suits for a while now, too. I agree that it's a great way to liven up that sort of clothing - and I do it often.

There's definitely some room to play around with different styles in different settings, I just keep it in line with my own versions of casual/formal/whatever.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may be in teh minority here, but I don't really like the way chunkier footwear looks with suits. It reminds me of these insipid brands like Prada and Lanvin.

I guess it depends on the boot. I have chunkier army boots and similar types that I normally wear with jeans, but chelseas or something like a jodhpur? I wouldn't hesitate.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I only wear more elegant footwear like the Jacno, cropped jodhpur, etc with suits. The wyatt last looks good with suits too but is the chunkiest that I'd personally go.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because of what GG Allin mentioned, I was looking into what Prada was doing and stumbled upon this:
1604084785540.png

I wonder if this would be the suit of the future. Formal sportswear. Perhaps this is the inevitable trajectory for suits. I can already see this entire look being replicated at Celine with their track suit.

Coggins suggests we have come to place too high a value on comfort as a society. “It used to be accepted that you would go through stages of slight discomfort to have an education. So you would read difficult books, or you’d sit through some operas, and maybe the first time you didn’t like it, but you would learn to like it – or at least appreciate what it is at stake. Now there’s this thought that comfort is everything. People dress as if they’re at home all the time, and they act like they’re at home when they’re in public. It’s why people lie down on the floor in airports and Facetime in restaurants and put their feet up on train seats.”

Although people talk about the suit dying, I tend to agree with those who are clarifying that it means "boring" more uptight suit looks are dying. I still think if someone can make suits like a bit nonchalant, it still looks really cool.
1604085293984.png

1604087455469.png

1604087575720.png

1604088069664.png

But with the whole pandemic, I think the shift to something more casual is inevitable.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because of what GG Allin mentioned, I was looking into what Prada was doing and stumbled upon this:
View attachment 1487376

I wonder if this would be the suit of the future. Formal sportswear. Perhaps this is the inevitable trajectory for suits. I can already see this entire look being replicated at Celine with their track suit.

Although people talk about the suit dying, I tend to agree with those who are clarifying that it means "boring" more uptight suit looks are dying. I still think if someone can make suits like a bit nonchalant, it still looks really cool.
View attachment 1487378
View attachment 1487409
View attachment 1487413
View attachment 1487415

But with the whole pandemic, I think the shift to something more casual is inevitable.

Something like a shift towards more casual sportswear, etc is probable. I think we just have to see how it turns out by this time next year though, as I'm thinking the tailoring and designer coats aren't quite gone. It depends on the neighbourhood you're in, and who's setting the fashion.

The boring suits are dead. In fact, they should have died a long time ago. Suits were never supposed to be an insipid office uniform, but clothes to wear every day and look damn good while doing it.

It's all about the nonchalance and the attitude.

Adamdraps

Reaction score
Personally my own style philosophy is to attain harmony with my setting. If I'm at a more run down part of town, I would want to look a bit grungier. If I'm at a more upscale event, I would want to be more dressy. If I'm somewhere in-between then I will dress somewhere in-between. I would only deviate from this if I'm purposefully wanting to clash with my setting. This philosophy stems from how I've noticed the director of movies and tv shows manage their character's wardrobe. Clothes are often not the core focus of the story, it is the character and what they do that is on full focus. The clothes/accessories just complement them, rather than being in the spotlight. I think this makes it easier to give off an effortlessly cool vibe, despite it being very meticulously manufactured in reality.

Personally, I've been playing with Hedi's ss02 silhouette when I'm wanting to dress up in a suit for fun. Bought a cheap suit just to mess around with. Instead of those monkey boots, I just wear my ss13 army lace ups.
View attachment 1487103

I completely understand and respect that

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgot how good that Cartier watch looks.
Besides the Cartier Tank Louis, I've noticed that Hedi wears at least 3 more watches. I'm not into watches myself, so I have no clue what he is wearing. Anyone know what these other three watches might be? Seems like he has abandoned his Dior Homme Chiffre Rouge watches.

1604137000796.png

1604137033064.png

1604137053080.png

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Celine team tapped into two Virtual Influencers in Japan to rock some bags. I'm guessing they are a real human but their face is swapped for the virtual face. A more mainstream friendly version of Virtual YouTubers, maybe.

I saw a girl rocking a triomphe monogram canvas bag the other day and it looks good. The monogram just feels fresher because I'm not really used to seeing it.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the monogram. Some of the dresses and jackets with the all over triomphe print in the SS21 show look great too. I think one was like a champagne colour which stood out to me. I'd wear a shirt in a similar print. I always loved the champagne / black babycat shirts worn with black jeans, black boots, and black blazer / black leather, but never felt comfortable with babycat - stunning combination though.

The Cartier tank looks great. I bought a tank solo some years ago influenced by Hedi, but ended up selling it because I prefer the vintage ones over the new. I need to look into getting a vintage one at some stage.

I must say those Oxfords look great on Hedi with the cropped jeans as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads