• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
It never did his DH or SLP any harm and I would say it added to the buzz around the brands. There were just a lot more images of the clothes around whereas now what we have is very limited and I find it pretty uninspiring compared to how things were. I'm still a loyal customer though, but then I already have a history of buying Hedi's clothes for the last 16 years and know exactly how his clothes work for me and understand his aesthetic. Based on the runway presentations at Celine, the Instagram and the website today I'm not sure I would have become a customer if this was my first exposure to Slimane.

If they don't want to bring new customers to the brand then great, but we're talking about a new label that is apparently underperforming.

All brands are under performing right now, luxury retail in general, and that not going to change until the pandemic is taken care of.

We are all new customers to the Celine brand. Hedi is bringing a new generation to his brand of followers, a younger generation, Im sure the generation above you felt the same way you are now.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you all know if Celine brought over any of their SL SAs? I recall when Hedi moved to SLP he brought over a deluge of Dior SAs, as least in the States, that said, I still interact with those same associates. I don't know anyone who moved over, so maybe they turned the page. I have always found the customer service extremely polite and personable, if not a little strict (e.g., 14 days return policy).

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like what he's doing with the dancing kid collection and trying to reach a new generation etc. and I hope there's no problems with sales as I want to be able to keep buying Hedi's clothes for years to come. But there just isn't much of a presence is what I'm saying.

I've based a lot of my decisions to buy clothes from Celine on my past experiences with his designs at other labels, on pictures Thorns has posted here, or on glimpses of Hedi and Peter Utz in YouTube videos, because there's hardly anywhere to see the clothes being worn other than the runway items and the Instagram which doesn't show many things clearly other than the bags. The angles used for the shoes on the website for example don't give a very accurate idea of what they're actually like at all.

Also is there any reason there seems to be a lot less stylists putting Celine in editorials compared to at Saint Laurent? Are Celine making it difficult to work with them? Is it just not as popular?

nolovelost23

Reaction score
Do you all know if Celine brought over any of their SL SAs? I recall when Hedi moved to SLP he brought over a deluge of Dior SAs, as least in the States, that said, I still interact with those same associates. I don't know anyone who moved over, so maybe they turned the page. I have always found the customer service extremely polite and personable, if not a little strict (e.g., 14 days return policy).
my SA at the BH location was at SL and Dior but there are SAs there from the Phoebe era. Mens manager was also at SL.

Randeep

Reaction score
they’ve closed men’s sections in london and paris

Clarifying this:

- New Bond St (small) store which opened in ~2019 and only had the men's collections is now women's only and I was told "temporarily" at that.
- Mount St was and is the flagship which houses both men's and women's - no change.

(Admittedly this info is 1 day old but came directly from an SA at Mount St I keep in touch with)

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It never did his DH or SLP any harm and I would say it added to the buzz around the brands. There were just a lot more images of the clothes around whereas now what we have is very limited and I find it pretty uninspiring compared to how things were. I'm still a loyal customer though, but then I already have a history of buying Hedi's clothes for the last 16 years and know exactly how his clothes work for me and understand his aesthetic. Based on the runway presentations at Celine, the Instagram and the website today I'm not sure I would have become a customer if this was my first exposure to Slimane.

If they don't want to bring new customers to the brand then great, but we're talking about a new label that is apparently underperforming.
I also agree. Often the runway styling is more theatrical because it is a fashion show. I'm always curious to see how the clothing would look in more day-to-day scenarios. I'll post some of my collection of ss19 looks in non-runway settings. I really like how Hedi pushed ties paired with biker jackets, encouraging people to wear ties casually. This more dressed up feeling really helps set a different tone than how biker jackets are predominantly worn at Saint Laurent. I feel like ties could work for other types of jackets besides biker jackets as well in casual outfits. The cropped jacket with skinny pants silhouette is no change from Saint Laurent and I feel like it is the most easily adaptable for many Saint Laurent fans already. The runway also featured roomier trousers, but fw19 was when an undeniable shift in silhouette happened with the introduction of cropped wide pants. Then ss20 had the flares. Seems like as much as Hedi hoped, wearing ties casually, or the cropped wide pants never really caught on with the North American market. Flares seem to be having a better adoption rate amongst existing Hedi fans and new fans alike.

1603232742996.png

1603232871324.png

1603232967755.png

1603233226039.png

1603233340147.png

1603233383767.png

1603233396774.png

1603233437763.png

1603233450588.png

1603233483279.png

1603233582593.png

1603234066668.png

1603233987186.png

1603234196891.png

1603234222024.png

1603234409773.png

1603234548054.png

1603234555472.png

1603234316088.png

Last edited:

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score

I don't know if he personally brought them over. I don't know anybody who has moved from Saint Laurent to Celine. I would think if somebody has been working in retail this long would move up to management.

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
I like what he's doing with the dancing kid collection and trying to reach a new generation etc. and I hope there's no problems with sales as I want to be able to keep buying Hedi's clothes for years to come. But there just isn't much of a presence is what I'm saying.

I've based a lot of my decisions to buy clothes from Celine on my past experiences with his designs at other labels, on pictures Thorns has posted here, or on glimpses of Hedi and Peter Utz in YouTube videos, because there's hardly anywhere to see the clothes being worn other than the runway items and the Instagram which doesn't show many things clearly other than the bags. The angles used for the shoes on the website for example don't give a very accurate idea of what they're actually like at all.

Also is there any reason there seems to be a lot less stylists putting Celine in editorials compared to at Saint Laurent? Are Celine making it difficult to work with them? Is it just not as popular?

Its probably because editorials in general aren't what they used to be. Brands are putting more advertising dollars into social media and the influencer market. Magazines have been dying for the past decade. Because of the pandemic many photoshoots in general have been kept to a bare minimum. Many models photographing themselves or doing FaceTime screen shot photoshoots.

Randeep

Reaction score

More casual Celine outfits with ss19 emphasis

1603232742996.png

This looks amazing (whole outfit / general picture composition) - super sharp simple leather with those "sloppily" stacked jeans. Do wonder what footwear he has on and whether it elevated or brought down the outfit (especially with that stacking).

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like the beauty of it is that this look can fit a couple of different styles of footwear to move the outfit to different directions. Different shoes highlight different facets of this same look.

1. leather shoes (lace ups/monkstraps) gives it a "Parisian" low-key elegant chic. The lower heel and it being a shoe gives the impression of a slight down to Earth, but still elegant, vibe for me.
2. sneakers (low/mid/high top) adds a sportier touch to the look. Gives it more youthful energy and a carefree vibe.
3. rangers add a serious masculine toughness to the look. Low toe box, like Hedi's versions, is absolutely essential to match the more streamlined look of the pants.
4. low heel dress boots gives me an impression of a low-key sexy bad boy.
5. high heel dress boots gives me an impression of someone wanting to be an overtly sexy bad boy.

6. loafers....personally I'm on the fence about them so I struggle to really articulate how I would feel if you paired loafers with this look. I could imagine a black and white two-tone loafer adding a more sophisticated touch that is more casual than lace ups/monkstraps but more elegant than sneakers.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You know who the most consistent top sales people month over month for luxury brands (minus the occasional celeb stylist ie when Lady Gaga buys out the whole collection)? The ones who work in outlets.

I sold most of my SLP stuff and just have a few jackets (L17, MA-1, varsity, a couple of dinner jackets that don't fit great), jeans, and boots left. I don't think I was under any illusions about what I was buying, but my interests evolved and the design hasn't been interesting enough to warrant the so/so construction and prices.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed GG. That was one look that really stood out to me as well as those striped sweaters with the black buttons. I have the white version, but the black (as always) is cooler. ;)

Is that leather above, this? To Kieran's point earlier, it could certainly be photographed better, or at least, make the arms slightly less billowy.

1603241854368.png

DJR

Reaction score
Exactly. If they were closing London, Paris, Tokyo I'd be a lot more concerned.
Tokyo is irrelevant.

The 4 that matter for the people up top are NY, London, Paris, Milan. I can tell you right now that there is major concern.

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
Agreed GG. That was one look that really stood out to me as well as those striped sweaters with the black buttons. I have the white version, but the black (as always) is cooler. ;)

Is that leather above, this? To Kieran's point earlier, it could certainly be photographed better, or at least, make the arms slightly less billowy.

View attachment 1481131

I agree, the laying clothes flat thing is getting outdated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads