• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

moesarhan

Reaction score
hello everyone - lurker here (until now!)

really enjoyed reading through the thread (& finding other black metal fans in a Celine thread?!)

question for you

I want to purchase the Biker Jacket

not sure what size to go for - a SLP teddy jacket in 48 and 50 fits me & I have a preference for the 50 for a bit more of a relaxed fit

what do you think I should go for?

thanks in advance!!
Hey was actually debating the same thing? what size did you go for at the end and why?

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sales are bad. Head Buyers for the big stores in Italy don’t want Celine Men.
I wonder if Saint Laurent is also getting hit, then it would help clue us in to how Hedi's style overall is not being well received with their customers. If customers were selectively buying Saint Laurent over Celine, then it would mean they specifically do not like Hedi's Celine aesthetic or Celine as a brand. Which would then lead to the answer to why Hedi is not motivated to create his own brand. Hedi acknowledges that commercial success is usually only possible when he is attached to an already established brand. In addition to a softer more androgynous style pushed at Celine compared to Saint Laurent, the name of the brand Celine is quite feminine. Celine, as a name, is a lot more ubiquitous as a girl's name and I suspect many men won't relate it to being a luxurious sexy fashion brand. For superficial people, "I'm wearing Celine" just doesn't have the same feeling as "I'm wearing Saint Laurent" or "I'm wearing Dior" to them. I'm almost 100% sure there wouldn't be this problem with Chanel. For most people, the first thing that comes to mind when you hear Chanel is the fashion brand. It is incredible tacky and trashy to name your daughter Chanel...but this is not true for Celine. LOL imagine if Hedi was at Chloé... I think removing the accent is absolutely vital. CÉLINE looks even more feminine than CELINE.

I guess we all learned why they call you thorns, ?
I have learned that a little friction helps to incentivize some passion and elevate the quality of discussion. I've learned interesting info from Deonfate, so I look forward to his replies. It helps me better contextualize Hedi's work and allows me to better understand why I like what I like from Hedi.

Last edited:

Malour

Reaction score
I honestly think some of the missing sales is Slimane's own fault. We are writing 2020 and the online store is lacking a lot. Physical boutiques are important for a luxury brand, but sales in boutiques (all brands) are down and online is up. Why not just, at least, have more focus on the online store? I live in a city with a "bags only" Celine and I asked my SA there to get me perfume and the flared jeans from last season but she was told those items were for mens boutiques and flagships only. Celine has made it hard for me to give them my money, for some reason.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The styling at LVR especially was generally very good and helped people see how runway stuff might fit into their wardrobes. Hedi's photography is great but it doesn't show the clothes particularly well, and isn't very appealing to a wider audience. Saint Laurent also benefitted from some fantastic editorials early on but I'm not seeing anything like that with Celine.

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
Interesting point about LVMH. The way they release their financial statements, luxury goods such as clothing are grouped together, but IIRC, bags and accessories (their core?) are a separate item. Everything is down, but bags are not down as much, which is not that surprising considering the incredible power du sac. ;)

The question becomes are there certain brands down more than others, how are they trending, what is the future outlook for that particular brand. The closing of the Milan men's boutique does not bode well, nor does the seeming infinite pause of the two new fragrances, that said, Hedi carries some star power, the new collections seem reinvented so more responsive/agile, and at an inexpert glance, the womenswear seems very strong, including the bags, so that should be salable.

They don't always disclose brand specific information. Several stores were permanently closed from different brands not just the Celine standalone menswear boutique in Milan.

Last edited:

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
I wonder if Saint Laurent is also getting hit, then it would help clue us in to how Hedi's style overall is not being well received with their customers. If customers were selectively buying Saint Laurent over Celine, then it would mean they specifically do not like Hedi's Celine aesthetic or Celine as a brand. Which would then lead to the answer to why Hedi is not motivated to create his own brand. Hedi acknowledges that commercial success is usually only possible when he is attached to an already established brand. In addition to a softer more androgynous style pushed at Celine compared to Saint Laurent, the name of the brand Celine is quite feminine. Celine, as a name, is a lot more ubiquitous as a girl's name and I suspect many men won't relate it to being a luxurious sexy fashion brand. For superficial people, "I'm wearing Celine" just doesn't have the same feeling as "I'm wearing Saint Laurent" or "I'm wearing Dior" to them. I'm almost 100% sure there wouldn't be this problem with Chanel. For most people, the first thing that comes to mind when you hear Chanel is the fashion brand. It is incredible tacky and trashy to name your daughter Chanel...but this is not true for Celine. LOL imagine if Hedi was at Chloé... I think removing the accent is absolutely vital. CÉLINE looks even more feminine than CELINE.

I have learned that a little friction helps to incentivize some passion and elevate the quality of discussion. I've learned interesting info from Deonfate, so I look forward to his replies. It helps me better contextualize Hedi's work and allows me to better understand why I like what I like from Hedi.

Yes Saint Laurent is experiencing the same issues on low sales during the pandemic. Just as all other brands are. The only difference is that Saint Laurent can be bought or sold anywhere, even Walmart.com

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
In my opinion they've also made a mistake not allowing online stores like Ssense and LVR to sell it.

They are keeping the brand exclusive, similar to Dior and LV. We buy Hedi's clothes because we like the esthetic but wealthy clients will buy because it makes them feel like they are better than everybody else, in the end the wealthy clients will make the bulk of the business.

Last edited:

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
I honestly think some of the missing sales is Slimane's own fault. We are writing 2020 and the online store is lacking a lot. Physical boutiques are important for a luxury brand, but sales in boutiques (all brands) are down and online is up. Why not just, at least, have more focus on the online store? I live in a city with a "bags only" Celine and I asked my SA there to get me perfume and the flared jeans from last season but she was told those items were for mens boutiques and flagships only. Celine has made it hard for me to give them my money, for some reason.

You can contact customer service and order any item available.

Also there are no missing sales as there is nothing to compare, Celine for men started in 2019 and was well received but you don't get billion dollars of sales overnight especially during a pandemic where even sales at Hermès are down 40%. A brand must be built up and Celine is a very exclusive brand that is only allowed to be sold at certain retailers.

Last edited:

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of great points above.
  • There is something to the name Celine and the lack of caché or gravitas. It fits with the whole soft aesthetic, but maybe too much!
  • I don't mind Hedi eschewing brand dispersal, in fact, I welcome it. I guess I'm one of those that prefer to get my items from the source, whether it's Dior or Celine and that SLP is so diffused with many sales tarnishes the image somewhat to me
  • That said, Saint Laurent still seems to have much more brand equity to me than Celine. Even though Jabba's giving me the jitters about my $4-5k SL leathers, I still don't see it quite as cheapened as suggested. Yves carries some symbolic power
  • Great points, too, though as I don't suspect that only Celine has lost a boutique or two. It's a difficult time across retail, however, there is something intrinsic to the luxury business that keeps it trucking along, and since a lot of forumites are a bit artsy too we enjoy that creative angle beyond the prestige, quality, i.e, to the dreaminess that each piece can inspire

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't care for the exclusivity angle and actually it turns me off a bit. For a designer so linked to alternative youth culture it doesn't feel right to me.

I think there generally needs to be a bit more online engagement, and not necessarily through gifting hoodies to eboys. Celine just doesn't have the visibility needed to drive big sales outside of East Asia (presuming they want to repeat the success of certain items at Saint Laurent that is).

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
I don't care for the exclusivity angle and actually it turns me off a bit. For a designer so linked to alternative youth culture it doesn't feel right to me.

I think there generally needs to be a bit more online engagement, and not necessarily through gifting hoodies to eboys. Celine just doesn't have the visibility needed to drive big sales outside of East Asia (presuming they want to repeat the success of certain items at Saint Laurent that is).

The youth represent a small portion of the sales, they may buy a few items from each collection. The majority of sales will come from wealthy clients and Hedi's core customers.

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
A lot of great points above.
  • There is something to the name Celine and the lack of caché or gravitas. It fits with the whole soft aesthetic, but maybe too much!
  • I don't mind Hedi eschewing brand dispersal, in fact, I welcome it. I guess I'm one of those that prefer to get my items from the source, whether it's Dior or Celine and that SLP is so diffused with many sales tarnishes the image somewhat to me
  • That said, Saint Laurent still seems to have much more brand equity to me than Celine. Even though Jabba's giving me the jitters about my $4-5k SL leathers, I still don't see it quite as cheapened as suggested. Yves carries some symbolic power
  • Great points, too, though as I don't suspect that only Celine has lost a boutique or two. It's a difficult time across retail, however, there is something intrinsic to the luxury business that keeps it trucking along, and since a lot of forumites are a bit artsy too we enjoy that creative angle beyond the prestige, quality, i.e, to the dreaminess that each piece can inspire

There is a falsehood that you buy items for them to retain or appreciate in value but you should buy items because you like them. Very few pieces will appreciate or even retain value. An iconic Hedi leather from Saint Laurent will still be valuable. Anthony is not producing any iconic pieces as of yet.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It never did his DH or SLP any harm and I would say it added to the buzz around the brands. There were just a lot more images of the clothes around whereas now what we have is very limited and I find it pretty uninspiring compared to how things were. I'm still a loyal customer though, but then I already have a history of buying Hedi's clothes for the last 16 years and know exactly how his clothes work for me and understand his aesthetic. Based on the runway presentations at Celine, the Instagram and the website today I'm not sure I would have become a customer if this was my first exposure to Slimane.

If they don't want to bring new customers to the brand then great, but we're talking about a new label that is apparently underperforming.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads