• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
For the fragrance hounds in this thread, that collection was very nightclubbing/reptile to me Very far from black tie, of course! that said, I haven't tried eau de Californie - anyone sample or own that one?

Its definitely not black tie lol. Maybe it would fit better with the eau de Californie?

funkyprez

Reaction score
After my initial revulsion to the show, I get it now, and the GQ piece nails it. It’s clear that Hedi is tapping into the Zeitgeist of youth culture, this could be a real fashion moment like Marc Jacobs doing grunge or Demna mining streetwear a few years ago or Hedi himself doing rock (ever since DH).

Microsoft is in talks to buy TikTok which indicates the value and popularity of the platform. My Zoomer kids put me on to the e-boy phenomenon last year (my youngest and her friends dressed as e-girls for Halloween), and it definitely fits how Hedi has championed youth sub-cultures.

TikTok culture is definitely distinct from Instagram culture, which by comparison, seems a bit tired and uninspired. Even the neon Lights, as shown on the jackets, is a TikTok “thing”.

I won’t ever style things as in the show, but I do see some pieces I may pick up - I love the white hi-top sneakers for instance

nolovelost23

Reaction score
For the fragrance hounds in this thread, that collection was very nightclubbing/reptile to me Very far from black tie, of course! that said, I haven't tried eau de Californie - anyone sample or own that one?
i'm quite enjoying the eau de Californie sample i was given by my SA. i'll probably spring for a bottle when it runs out. i find it to be a nice daytime scent. not overpowering but last a long while, as others have noted

nolovelost23

Reaction score
these definitions: :lol:

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Le Peau Nue for femboy looks with their nail polish
Eau de Californie for California vibes
Rimbaud (unreleased) probably would be a good match for youthful looks too

I think fragrance would be an accessory like necklace etc. Depending on which, it helps add to a look or twists the look slightly.

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
Just some more thoughts after thinking about the way Celine is heading.

I think Hedi is very good at capturing youth culture in his clothing and this is no different. This e-boy movement is strong and it's quite surprising it has taken this long for it to be represented in high fashion/designer brands as the e-boy wave has been a thing for well over a year as far as I remember. I don't use Tiktok and don't plan to, which brings me to my next point.

I simply don't connect with the e-boy aesthetic and don't want to be associated with it. The reason I love some SLP collections is because I'm a big fan of the music it relates to and the aesthetic in general. When I listened to Tokyo Tapes by Scorpions I fell in love with it. On the inside of the vinyl gatefold is a picture of the guys wearing white boots with fairly high heels, as seen in recent Celine. I don't have that same connection with this new collection. Fashion is a way of expression and me walking out in a black sweater over a white shirt with a big padlock chain would simply be fake. I imagine this would be even weirder for the guys here who are older than me because you might get the "fellow kids" effect. That said obviously you can pick and choose the pieces you like, and I think there are some pieces here that I'd want, albeit at a discount. : )

Do I think this is a good move and it will sell? Sure. Do I like it? Eh.

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to associate style with music too, and I dig a lot of the kraturock style I've seen in pictures (some is hideous though, obviously).

Bryan55

Reaction score
Le Peau Nue for femboy looks with their nail polish
Eau de Californie for California vibes
Rimbaud (unreleased) probably would be a good match for youthful looks too

I think fragrance would be an accessory like necklace etc. Depending on which, it helps add to a look or twists the look slightly.

Cool assessment of the fragrances. I’m still waiting for Rimbaud and Bois Dormant to be released so I can actually see how they are like.

Bryan55

Reaction score
I tend to associate style with music too, and I dig a lot of the kraturock style I've seen in pictures (some is hideous though, obviously).

I am also another who associates style with music. As someone who grew up listening to punk rock and now listens to mainly post punk/cold wave/new wave/dark wave, I feel it’s why I’m so drawn to the atypical Hedi style of tight leather jackets, skinny black denim, and I’ll just mix with Combat boots. Could be due to Still having somewhat of a punk ethos, just now able to actually afford things of a higher price point and quality.

Malour

Reaction score
Just curious, did you guys feel the same way when SS16 was shown as you do about this show? Back then I wasn't this deep into HS so for me it didn't make a difference.

Lit Harington

Reaction score
i thought ss16 was great. granted i was 18 then, and maybe would've liked the dancing kid had i seen it at that age but i'm not so sure. ss16 stood out to me more because of the grunge influence than the 'surfer' aspect, and i think in comparing the two seasons ss16 had a lot more standout pieces and better styling

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious, did you guys feel the same way when SS16 was shown as you do about this show? Back then I wasn't this deep into HS so for me it didn't make a difference.

I think the location of the show also impacts how people view the collection. ss16 was in a more glam darker venue, while ss21 is out in the bright sun which can play a role in how so many people feel that there is a disconnect. ss16 can feel more edgy due to the location where the show was presented.

That said, only thing I liked from ss16 was the distressed sneakers. I'm pretty firm in my belief that it makes most sense to pick and choose a couple of styles that Hedi has in his work from YSL/Dior Homme/Saint Laurent/Celine to create your own style spectrum that can give you options to dress in casual to formal styles without incongruence. ss16 and ss21 styling would be a sore thumb in my style spectrum, making it look like I'm cosplaying, so the more super casual bright/colourful side of Hedi never appealed to me. I understand and respect those who choose another path and want to have a variety of styles to play with to have fun, but that's not how I want to do it. I've never pressured myself to always hop on to the next thing that Hedi does, so I don't feel angry or betrayed that ss21 isn't my cup of tea. I'm actually curious what pieces Hedi will wear himself from ss21.

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
Schermafbeelding 2020-08-01 om 11.16.44.png

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a great question. After the initial horror of seeing this latest show wore off, I went back and looked at the surf sound photos on vogue. I remember not liking the overall aesthetic that much (the sunglasses are so ******* bad), but liking some of the individual pieces. This was reinforced when I went back over it, as there are great pieces in pretty much every look. This isn't the case for the latest Celine one in my view.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads