• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
This is a far better informed article

Deonfate

Reaction score
I really had to contain myself from commenting on anything fashion related as there's no hope in this doom land. But here are my 2 cents:

The truth is that the last Celine collection is at its core like any Celine collection or HS collection at that. Same ol' Hedi. I'm surprised that some of you devoted admirers can't grasp the merchandising galore that HS is pulling right now. All his past hits are present and you can get a clear sense of what the "accessible" pieces will look like. The difference this time is that they will be accompanied with some heavy logo-ed briefs, socks, smalls bag, t shirt, sweat shirts, hats etc etc complete mundane uninspired money making products that the man talked down upon in the past on several occasions. Cheap shots.

The sad thing in all of this is that HS is playing it like it's a new kind of take on youth sub-culture or sort of provocative performance art. Maybe he's trying to convince himself and the world and he still has his finger on the pulse of youth and modernity. Not only the collection looks like a past collection of his (SS16) but you can easily see these pieces on a gucci runway or amiri or enfants riche déprimés from 2 years ago, this shtick was done to death and he's beating a dead horse at this point. Really creatively this collection is actually too late to the party and adds nothing to the conversation.

For all his "privacy", mysterious demeanor and restraint from public appearances, HS adores to be in the limelight. He has to pull a controversy each couple of years and make everyone talk about him when his contemporaries are outshining him. The last bastion of authenticity and style according to many is ready to flip on everything he stands for when he's not delivering the figures he's supposed to generate. Dare I say HS is the ultimate drama queen of fashion. Diva through and through.

I think the difference this time is that this stunt irks desperation, and it distorts this mirage of style and luxury that this industry envelopes itself in. Truth is that everyone out there is trying to suck the money out of you, no matter of "authentic" they're trying to convince they actually are. It's the same overpriced over-publicized pieces of **** they're trying to fool you into, and if you're not buying they will gladly pass on to the next person. No loyalty or devotion or true dedication. Profit is the name of game.

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
he said the same thing in another article that came out this year

Which part? he has said many times he isn't interested in his own label. The definition of chauvinism is excessive or prejudiced support for one's own cause but not in the context of what many people think.

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
I really had to contain myself from commenting on anything fashion related as there's no hope in this doom land. But here are my 2 cents:

The truth is that the last Celine collection is at its core like any Celine collection or HS collection at that. Same ol' Hedi. I'm surprised that some of you devoted admirers can't grasp the merchandising galore that HS is pulling right now. All his past hits are present and you can get a clear sense of what the "accessible" pieces will look like. The difference this time is that they will be accompanied with some heavy logo-ed briefs, socks, smalls bag, t shirt, sweat shirts, hats etc etc complete mundane uninspired money making products that the man talked down upon in the past on several occasions. Cheap shots.

The sad thing in all of this is that HS is playing it like it's a new kind of take on youth sub-culture or sort of provocative performance art. Maybe he's trying to convince himself and the world and he still has his finger on the pulse of youth and modernity. Not only the collection looks like a past collection of his (SS16) but you can easily see these pieces on a gucci runway or amiri or enfants riche déprimés from 2 years ago, this shtick was done to death and he's beating a dead horse at this point. Really creatively this collection is actually too late to the party and adds nothing to the conversation.

For all his "privacy", mysterious demeanor and restraint from public appearances, HS adores to be in the limelight. He has to pull a controversy each couple of years and make everyone talk about him when his contemporaries are outshining him. The last bastion of authenticity and style according to many is ready to flip on everything he stands for when he's not delivering the figures he's supposed to generate. Dare I say HS is the ultimate drama queen of fashion. Diva through and through.

I think the difference this time is that this stunt irks desperation, and it distorts this mirage of style and luxury that this industry envelopes itself in. Truth is that everyone out there is trying to suck the money out of you, no matter of "authentic" they're trying to convince they actually are. It's the same overpriced over-publicized pieces of **** they're trying to fool you into, and if you're not buying they will gladly pass on to the next person. No loyalty or devotion or true dedication. Profit is the name of game.

Small bags with Celine written across them already existed before this show as well as t-shirts and sweatshirts. I would hardly call the underwear heavily logo-ed. The other brands you mention copied him as they always do, all fashion houses do that. Gucci added a bee, Hedi did that 20 years ago to honor Christian Dior's love of flowers and bees at Dior Homme, educate yourself. This is fashion everything comes back around. Hedi is inspired by youth culture, get over it. Once again he is doing something ahead of the curve. He always releases a grunge collection before he's about to revolutionize, this is nothing new. People are acting like their dog died. If you don't like it don't buy it, simple as that, but don't try to attack people because you cannot understand. Its so easy to sit in an ivory tower and judge.

Last edited:

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
We live in a culture that is obsessed with becoming famous on the internet, obsessed with money and greed. Be the change you want to see in the world.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still quite like it and after having another look it's really not all that different to SS16. Some stuff that I'm sure will sell well. Use of the Celine logo seems smart to me as well as a way of increasing people's awareness of the brand who might not be as confident buying from the likes of Saint Laurent or Dior Home (speaking of Celine branding I even quite like the basic back print Celine logo hoodies on the website).

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm aligned with kieran.

Was thinking about that same thing this morning, i.e.,Celine needs an uptick in name recognition more so than a Dior or YSL. The collection is growing on me and made more of an imprint than the usual.

Interesting GQ article about the Tik-Tok zeitgeist: hedi-slimane-celine-tiktok

The points about mismatched clothing during the quarantine spoke to me and Hedi is quoted as saying how he wanted to capture that spirit.

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
Years ago I was flying back to New York from Costa Rica and I had a decent layover in Mexico City so I decided to check out a Photography exhibit on Guillermo Kahlo (Frida Kahlo's father who did architectural photography). A lady stopped me out of concern and asked if I was ok because I was wearing a pair of Hedi's destroyed jeans. Being US American She thought perhaps I had been beaten up or mugged. I told her they were designer jeans and I bought them that way. She looked at me dumbfounded as if I were insane, for some reason she couldn't comprehend why I would pay extra money for jeans that looked this way. The moral of the story is: either you get it or you don't.

Last edited:

Malour

Reaction score
The points about mismatched clothing during the quarantine spoke to me and Hedi is quoted as saying how he wanted to capture that spirit.
From Vogue: "The whole thing had been designed in St. Tropez “well before March,” the concept triggered by Slimane’s signing of TikTok teen idol Noen Eubanks as a face of the Celine campaign last year." (https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/spring-2021-menswear/celine 3rd section) Then it has nothing to do with the quarantine. Weird communication from Celine/HS.

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
@Jabbathecunt I can tell Long Nguyen isn’t a skater, bc this show was most definitely not represntative of skate culture - present or past. Poor article.

I highly doubt he is a skater and I don't know if this is his opinion or information from Celine PR as there have been conflicting reports put out. Everybody knows Hedi rarely ever speaks with the press, but the article has way better photos and contains many more facts than the other. So I'm highly inclined to believe it is an exclusive. I don't know if you've ever worked in a PR office but they can make **** up on the fly. Is it possible the TikTok boys are skaters?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 1.39.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 1.39.00 PM.png
    65.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the fragrance hounds in this thread, that collection was very nightclubbing/reptile to me Very far from black tie, of course! that said, I haven't tried eau de Californie - anyone sample or own that one?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads