• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

Randeep

Reaction score

View attachment 1400608
More FW20 showroom teasers! Including that beautiful suede jacket from the runway.

Where's this from? Shame one of the teasers was spent on a ****** plain tee emblazoned with 'CELINE'... 'top of the top!' alright :rolleyes:

If you're a Celine stockist in the buyer's showroom surely either you've been told that pictures are expressly not allowed, or you can take as many pictures as you like, and would therefore show as many pictures as possible of the collection on your feed in order to garner up interest, seems like a missed opportunity to me.

Thoughts?

"Hollywood's brightest Black talents like Cynthia Erivo, Taraji P Henson, Janet Mock, and Yara Shahidi, commented the..."

who?

I follow @diet_prada, not because I'm necessarily aligned with whatever fashion related outcry they champion, but because I like scoffing at the emotionally charged virtue signalling social justice posts they come up with and the slew of trite one-word comments in agreements from their popular blue-tick followers/social media influencers (just seems likes its all for keeping up with appearances). What has 'dropping the E' got to do with anything? Where'd they get off saying Hedi has an "apparent aversion"?

I was kinda surprised Celine (Hedi) had anything posted up at all - damned if you do, damned if you don't. I think he should have free choice over whatever demographic of models he wants to use to best suit the subculture or style of clothes he is trying to sell the idea of, not the demographic makeup of the person who buys Celine. If that means having a troupe of gaunt, tall, beautiful models/band members that are predominantly or entirely white, so be it! I've never once thought about race when it comes to runway shows (cue someone telling me that's why I'm part of the problem).

Take fw13 SL men's -- which I would say is akin to what I remember being the grungy vibe in say the classic film 'the lost boys', and in neither the show nor the movie could I say the vision would have been better conveyed my mixing the casting up with black/asian/indian/whatever.

Lit Harington

Reaction score
the same people who call slimane a racist are the ones who say that literally all he does is copy designs of certain subcultures/time periods. those subcultures, generally, are/were overwhelmingly white. if anything, hedi has always been applauded for being tirelessly consistent, with a pretty astonishing care for detail. why should/would he change that?

and in any case, who really cares? while you can very validly make the case that high fashion absolutely does influence the way everyone dresses, runway shows themselves cater to a relatively tiny number of people.

Last edited:

parnyc

Reaction score
Hedi shut down orders from the US CELINE website on Black Tuesday and posted a statement when many did not. Although the numbers don't look great, it's a start. Under Phoebe there were no black models. The é was not an original code to the house. The world as a whole needs to do better about racism, we are all one.
the same people who call slimane a racist are the ones who say that literally all he does is copy designs of certain subcultures/time periods. those subcultures, generally, are/were overwhelmingly white. if anything, hedi has always been applauded for being tirelessly consistent, with a pretty astonishing care for detail. why should/would he change that?

and in any case, who really cares? while you can very validly make the case that high fashion absolutely does influence the way everyone dresses, runway shows themselves cater to a relatively tiny number of people.

Just making a correction to your statement regarding Phoebe...there were indeed black models, not a huge volume of black models, but she did not completely shut black models out of her shows/imagery. Liya Kebede, Binx Walton, and Karly Loyce are a few of the girls that have modeled for the brand. Just stating this, as it is a fact.

I'm not interested in starting a whole topic/convo on race, but as a black man who loves Hedi's designs, I just think it's more than tone deaf to not acknowledge that the people who purchase your products are not only one race. I'm not saying it has to be a Benneton type of casting every single season, but the problem people had with the statement is that even tho the word diversity wasn't used, to take that stance (especially in this particular moment) and have the bare minimum representation of other ethnicities as a brand comes across as contradictory and to a degree, insulting.

With all of that said, I still love what he does. I'm just not sure how much longer I will want to commit to spending my money at a brand that I do not feel cares enough to consistently show that different ethnicities can represent the clothes well.

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just making a correction to your statement regarding Phoebe...there were indeed black models, not a huge volume of black models, but she did not completely shut black models out of her shows/imagery. Liya Kebede, Binx Walton, and Karly Loyce are a few of the girls that have modeled for the brand. Just stating this, as it is a fact.

I'm not interested in starting a whole topic/convo on race, but as a black man who loves Hedi's designs, I just think it's more than tone deaf to not acknowledge that the people who purchase your products are not only one race. I'm not saying it has to be a Benneton type of casting every single season, but the problem people had with the statement is that even tho the word diversity wasn't used, to take that stance (especially in this particular moment) and have the bare minimum representation of other ethnicities as a brand comes across as contradictory and to a degree, insulting.

With all of that said, I still love what he does. I'm just not sure how much longer I will want to commit to spending my money at a brand that I do not feel cares enough to consistently show that different ethnicities can represent the clothes well.
I don't follow the argument here. In fact, I much prefer Hedi's statement condemning oppression of blacks and other minorities, as opposed to calls for tokens of representation in culture industry garbage. His position seems more leftist, and from my perspective is better.

parnyc

Reaction score
I don't follow the argument here. In fact, I much prefer Hedi's statement condemning oppression of blacks and other minorities, as opposed to calls for tokens of representation in culture industry garbage. His position seems more leftist, and from my perspective is better.

My position is that given the timing of the statement, it comes off as a token from a brand that barely has any representation of the people the statement is meant to be in support of.

I understand his aesthetic and he is very consistent in his portrayal of that. That is his prerogative, but the brand shouldn't expect a pat on the back for making a statement like that when the "oppression of blacks and other minorities" is a message we tend to see from his interpretation of what's fashionable.

Ultimately, it reads as, I support black people, but not enough to include them in my brand. And that, reads as fake.

Lit Harington

Reaction score
Ultimately, it reads as, I support black people, but not enough to include them in my brand. And that, reads as fake.
you say that as if those two statements are mutually inclusive? i mean, what on earth does having black models on a runway have to do with supporting the black people as a whole? as i said before, the average person (black or white) could not give a **** about any of this.

parnyc

Reaction score
you say that as if those two statements are mutually inclusive? i mean, what on earth does having black models on a runway have to do with supporting the black people as a whole? as i said before, the average person (black or white) could not give a **** about any of this.

To keep this from turning the thread into a different direction, I will DM you.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's great that this conversation is happening, and good on Celine to make a strong statement yesterday. It's easier to remain quiet, but sharing the house's perspective is a positive.

Onto the models discussion; it does look a bit thin (no pun intended!). I'm not saying that the numbers need to be 50/50, but an effort to be in the 15-20% range seems reasonable to me. A hard quota would be too dogmatic, but there's a certain zeitgeist that could be tapped.

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of this diet_prada guy, but I guarantee he has no interest in black liberation, and would be horrified if someone like George Floyd came within fifteen feet of him. It seems to me we have to be extremely careful at this moment in the USA that we do not allow rich liberals to sidetrack this moment into culture industry channels, which is precisely in their own interests. It's no confidence that Cornel West called out celebrity culture in his brilliant diatribe on CNN a few days ago. I recommend checking that out if you haven't already. He also mentioned the futility of "black faces in high places", which I think he would also extend to Hollywood and high fashion. That **** isn't going to cut it for real leftists.

I realize this isn't CE, and I"m not an idolator of Hedi Slimane--but the criticisms that get leveled at him are moronic in my opinion. This girl I know has been getting into style lately, and I recommended that she check out some of Hedi's work as inspiration, or something to think about. Having never heard of him, I guess she did a google search, and was telling me that she was reading that he's a racist. That is an explosive accusation, and deserves credible evidence to substantiate, so I asked her why this charge was being leveled? And she mentioned the lack of black models in his runway shows. This is lazy. He could be walking around quoting Walter Rodney and Fred Hampton to people and this slander would still gain traction. I think we on the left can do better than this.

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score

Phoebe did not have a single black model until Bethann Harrison called her out and threatened a boycott, its well documented. The fashion industry doesn't care about people of color beyond exploitation and profiteering. There was the now iconic 1969 Time magazine cover of how black models had taken center stage but yet here we are in 2020. They only use people of color when its convenient and in Vogue. People of color have been exploited and victims of cultural appropriation since fashion began. All I'm saying is that there was some effort on Hedi's part and I don't feel it was nefarious.

MotionInReverse

Reaction score
52F87FA6-C354-486B-8645-A43FD6B37FFB.jpeg
5099B061-3714-486C-8AD1-E49DC5C3CF1F.jpeg
964C521A-BE07-438B-A753-1C05676159BF.jpeg
Seems as though we have our first looks at the 85mm boots from the FW20 show. Thank you to my friend Hal (@st1cc_ch1cken on IG) for always getting the exclusive first look. I’m super excited about picking up another pair of 85s. What are your thoughts on these?

Last edited:

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score

MotionInReverse

Reaction score
Same! I think the thicker sole reminds me more of the French boots from Paris Sessions, rather than the thin, slightly angled heel on the Jacno. I don’t believe they ever made black suede French boots during FW15 so I’ll probably be picking up those studded suede ones.

Jabbathecunt

Reaction score
Same! I think the thicker sole reminds me more of the French boots from Paris Sessions, rather than the thin, slightly angled heel on the Jacno. I don’t believe they ever made black suede French boots during FW15 so I’ll probably be picking up those studded suede ones.

I was hoping to see the natural ombre snakeskin or metallic silver but the US markets get whatever the buyers deem salable. Im hoping that changes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads