• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's interesting because it's been spread around those "hypebeast"/streetwear circles and younger kids that suiting and "dressing up" will be back in, and the collectable logo t-shirts and monotonous branding pieces are on their way out.

What I love about Hedi at Celine is that he taps into the past youth subculture/counter-cultures and also adds a little bit of pop to it (Jacno was by no means fringe, at least after the fact). For example the comparing and contrasting of the "French Riviere" to 70's/early 80's American culture for SS20; Skinheads, Mods, and West Berliners to the Bourgeois of Paris and "Le Drugstore" kids.

Saint Laurent under Vacarello is (to me) more trashy, the party at a really popular club and everyone listens to you talk for 2 minutes then turns to say hi to someone else. It's funny because Hedi was criticized for having his girls wear very skimpy dresses that no self-respecting female would wear; and now at Vacarello SL that's just what people want I guess. All about timing.

I think trying to reach and attain that "I don't want everyone doing the same thing as me" is possible where you're probably living, but of course out there in the world there will be groups of people that probably dress the same way you do, like the same music (BITE IT, YOU SCUUM - GG Allin), which I think is actually more fun that way rather than "I want to hold this to myself".
I think it would be sort of beautiful to see formerly hype beast types walking around in cool suits. For me, the "streetwear" and logo craze can't end quickly enough.

Your description of Vacarello's SLP is spot on. I was saying in that thread how much I loved the latest show, but I tend to agree that it's not something you're going to be able to wear except at some really exclusive party where people are incredibly shallow, maybe a sleazier-than-normal S&M club, or if it's just really your vibe you want to put out there in the world. The menswear has individual pieces I like, but it's not like Celine's last show where I was pretty much into most of the looks ,as well as bbeign attracted to the overall vibe of the show. Like you said, I think this is because Slimane is cognizant of teh subcultures he's trying to re-invent (pejoratively, copy), whereas Vacc is just embracing trashiness.

Your last paragraph I can't disagree with, frankly, and I'm glad you took the time to express it. At the risk of sounding incredibly pretentious, the idea behind it reminds me of Adorno's argument in "The Jargon of Authenticity", a book I loved in college even though I'm not sure I understood it. Although I clearly have been influenced by Gen X ideas about non-conformity and the like, I have to admit that the position is incredibly reactionary--and I'm by no means into those types of ideologies. I have this horror of being out at a bar and looking over and seeing a clone of myself! But, when you think about it, this is really anti-social and reactionary: to feel resentment at what in really might be a means to friendship via shared interest.

I really don't know. These might be different.
Yeah I can't figure it out. However, I'm gonna stop bugging you and just get the skinny's and see what happens. What annoys me is that the US site has two similar looking skinny black jeans, one of which has no description.

Laissez-faire

Reaction score
Yeah I can't figure it out. However, I'm gonna stop bugging you and just get the skinny's and see what happens. What annoys me is that the US site has two similar looking skinny black jeans, one of which has no description.
[/QUOTE]

The skinny ones? They are very tight around the calves

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like Hedi is wearing skinny with the Jacno single monkstraps, with an inch or two off the length. Could also be a slim tapered down though, I'm sure he has the option to literally make them exactly to fit him rather than just wear them straight from production.

Staff at SLP would sometimes be issued D01s for uniform and then taper them down and they'd sometimes come out better than the D02s.

X66666

Reaction score
I wonder how the Celine fashion show will be. Hedi’s last chance to make the brand profitable

Laissez-faire

Reaction score
Looks like Hedi is wearing skinny with the Jacno single monkstraps, with an inch or two off the length. Could also be a slim tapered down though, I'm sure he has the option to literally make them exactly to fit him rather than just wear them straight from production.

Staff at SLP would sometimes be issued D01s for uniform and then taper them down and they'd sometimes come out better than the D02s.

Pretty sure those are made for him, but i just had the once from my link at home and they are very similar.

Bill H

Reaction score
Pretty sure those are made for him, but i just had the once from my link at home and they are very similar.
Yo it is so funny, but does anyone agree with me that Hedi doesn't dress that good hahaha... Like the model fits are great down to what they do with their hands, he has access to the entire collection, and he always seems to wind up in something generic

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me less is more so I think Hedi dresses well, and actually much better as he's got older. One thing I don't really like though is the t-shirts worn under dress shirts.

nekromantik

Reaction score
Yeah I feel like his Celine looks are a lot more "safer" then what it did at SLP.
Which is why I not bought anything from Celine yet. It does not have that glam rock vibe I loved about SLP.

jeune

Reaction score
If you look at Hedi's fits from Dior Homme up until now you can see his progression in relation to his collections and with what kieran said "less is more". I like that he's stuck himself into a uniform, knows what normally will suit him and sticks to it. I think from FW16 at SLP up until now he's stuck to the same formula for his outfits. Instead of trying to fit into a certain subculture he just sticks to himself and has his designs do the talking.

As for the denim talk earlier; I'm a big fan of the 001 model (Mid-waisted, skinny). Has a perfect fit almost borderline high-rise and the legs aren't overly skinny to me. Sadly for some reason those were only for SS19.

The 003's on the other hand, fit more like the SLP D02's and I would definitely say it hasn't changed minus not having the visible rivets which is a clean silhouette; almost like suiting pants. Also the dye/denim is much more deep and rich.

I recommend getting the slim black pair, for me it seems perfect and would probably be my next pair of denim. My friend who's an SA wears them as part of his uniform and literally looks way better than the typical leg hugging skinnies.

rk13

Reaction score
If you look at Hedi's fits from Dior Homme up until now you can see his progression in relation to his collections and with what kieran said "less is more". I like that he's stuck himself into a uniform, knows what normally will suit him and sticks to it. I think from FW16 at SLP up until now he's stuck to the same formula for his outfits. Instead of trying to fit into a certain subculture he just sticks to himself and has his designs do the talking.

As for the denim talk earlier; I'm a big fan of the 001 model (Mid-waisted, skinny). Has a perfect fit almost borderline high-rise and the legs aren't overly skinny to me. Sadly for some reason those were only for SS19.

The 003's on the other hand, fit more like the SLP D02's and I would definitely say it hasn't changed minus not having the visible rivets which is a clean silhouette; almost like suiting pants. Also the dye/denim is much more deep and rich.

I recommend getting the slim black pair, for me it seems perfect and would probably be my next pair of denim. My friend who's an SA wears them as part of his uniform and literally looks way better than the typical leg hugging skinnies.
Slim black pair as in black ones with a style code of 001?

jeune

Reaction score
Slim black pair as in black ones with a style code of 001?

I don't know the number code, but instead of "SK" it'll be SL.
The link was posted a page earlier; it's that pair.

youwhat

Reaction score

kind of need pics for claims like this. not saying its not true.

I have this horror of being out at a bar and looking over and seeing a clone of myself! But, when you think about it, this is really anti-social and reactionary: to feel resentment at what in really might be a means to friendship via shared interest.

i felt this. same.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads