• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your comments and advice. Keep them coming if I haven't heard from you yet.
Heel slippage decreases once a shoe is broken in
It kills me, but I think I'm going to need to send back the jacnos. I am having the worst luck finding cool derbies, and for some reason my feet only seem able to accommodate boots. I feel like the heel slippage is too much. I tried them with some thicker wool socks, and although there was less slippage, I don't feel like I'd want to be wearing heavy socks with cool derbies like this, since it might throw off the look. I really, really dig the look of these shoes though.
You look like size 30 would be perfect in denim.

The jacket looks great as is. You could probably size down one for the skinny look but that's not the Celine motif.

I lost about 40-50 pounds about 8-10 years ago, and it was very expensive! Luckily, my forays into fashion had not hit Dior yet, and was mostly like a Prada suit here and there.

My word of warning there would be if you're planning on getting skinnier don't buy a leather jacket yet. ;)
I think I"m going to try 30. See question below regarding that. That is mind blowing that you lost that much weight. I remember you saying you lost weight in the SLP thread, but I had no idea it was that much. I've probably dropped about 15 pounds, and don't think I'll go much skinnier than this. Has it been difficult for you to keep the weight off?
I agree with the boys, jacket looks good!
Thanks!
I thought that about my SLP wyatt ankle boots but after breaking in they still slipped.
I could not size down as the toe area was quite painful for me before breaking in. I wear size 7.5 in Timberland and Todds but bought 7 in SLP Wyatts. Had to exchange for TTS but now need to wear thick socks to stop the heel slippage.

@GG Allin Leather jacket looks very nice. Agree it cold be size down if you want it slimmer. I prefer slim fits myself as I am very skinny guy so a normal fit shirt looks oversized on me haha
Yes, I have different SLP boots that require different types of socks to be comfortable, but I honestly don't feel like this would be wise for derbies, since socks will be visible from time to time, making how they look a consideration (I'm saying that as my personal preference, not a hard and fast rule).

Thanks for your words on the fit, I agree I could probably go a size down. The way it feels is so good to me, though, that I feel like I'll just keep it. What I should've really done is gone to a store and tried on a bunch of sizes and asked your guys' opinion. I might do this in the future.
Jacket really looks a bit big around the shoulders. Otherwise i think it looks good.
You should try size 48 imo. Sometimes there isn't much of a difference between sizes.

Have you tried the pair of jeans Hedi is wearing?
View attachment 1344116

They are the 100% cotton slim jeans.
Mid waisted, tight waist and upper leg, more loose on the lower leg and slightly tapered leg opening.
Size 30 should measure 43 cm across the waist. The fit on the waist was the same as every other model i have tried so far.
I feel you on trying the 48. I wish it were easier for me to do so, but since Celine doesn't let you just exchange via mail for a different size, instead requiring you to send back for a refund, it's just too much of a pain for what will probably be a very minor difference. I really appreciate your honesty and advise though. I think in future I might try to get a leather that is so slim that it's impossible for me to have a sweater underneath.

As for the jeans, are they these ones? https://www.celine.com/en-us/celine...slim-jeans-in-black-denim-2N309760D.38NF.html They seem quite interesting from your description. And, the waist size seems like something I could easily accommodate now. Price isn't so bad either. I was looking at these Dior ones too--anyone try these out? https://www.dior.com/en_us/products/couture-013DS00A217X_C900-slim-fit-jeans

Now, I have a question as to how you guys size your denim: do you tend to get jeans that are tight in the waist, in anticipation of them stretching? Or do you like yours to fit nice on first wear? I came to this forum during the APC size down a ton era, and I'm not really sure how people do it anymore.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I've kept the weight off about 8 years, but it's definitely harder over time and during the winter. When you're losing weight, as you probably experienced, it's very motivating, maintenance is more of a drag!

HommeBoy007

Reaction score
Yes my friend, next friday at 20:30. I honestly don't buy the fact that they didn't do a mens show because of money; LVMH makes more than ever. I think it is because SS20 mens and women are identical, so hopefully AW20/21 will be the same, and then it just makes more sense to only do one show.

I think it’s a bit of both

HommeBoy007

Reaction score
I think Hedi needs a homerun on Friday - SS20 has been the most popular/best selling season thus far (at least for men) but I think sales probably pale in comparison his third/fourth collection at SLP. I don’t know if LVMH will axe Hedi this soon after his takeover but I’m pretty sure his contract three years long so his window to return a profit on their investment is closing.

jeune

Reaction score
I think Hedi needs a homerun on Friday - SS20 has been the most popular/best selling season thus far (at least for men) but I think sales probably pale in comparison his third/fourth collection at SLP. I don’t know if LVMH will axe Hedi this soon after his takeover but I’m pretty sure his contract three years long so his window to return a profit on their investment is closing.

The thing I'm not understanding here is that Bernard Arnault said himself: "The objective with him [Slimane] is to reach at least €2bn to €3bn, and perhaps more, within five years.”

Where are people getting this "three year contract" from?
Can't deny that his sales at Celine are doing poorly; but from building a menswear line from the ground-up,
as well as introducing a haute parfumerie line would definitely cut into the expected growth for only 3 years time.

I think I agree with some people that have said this would take time in order to get a profit like they're projecting. (Years and years).

That article linked above is a good analyzation of how Hedi probably won't be able to do what he did at Saint Laurent unless he manages to push marketing CELINE under the new image. (Which you can actually see as the instagram has been more active than ever before for the past 2 weeks, not even to mention the Lisa and celebrity endorsements).

Louis Louis

Reaction score
They didn’t expected a huge return on invest so quickly. It is not possible with all the money spent in the new stores. But nonetheless they didn’t expect this kind of ‘failure’. The money comes from the bags line who could have exist without HS. What puzzle me is that the stores are always overstaffed while empty at the same time.

nekromantik

Reaction score
this is what I dont get.
Celine was a womens only brand.
When they hired Hedi they should kept that in mind and thus it will take a lot of work to get menswear under Celine selling like SLP did.
Most guys not heard heard of Celine. But they know what Saint Laurent is.

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See, I must be weird, because I kinda like that the brand isn't selling that much. I'm an older millennial, and inherited some of those Gen X prejudices against conformity, "inauthenticity", "uncoolness" and (admittedly empty) concepts like that. I live out in the provinces, so it's not like everyone is going to be dressing like me anyway--but I would hate to be walking around a cool city like Paris or London and see every second dude rocking my vibe. I feel like this may have happened with Saint Laurent over time and, even worse, other brands were also copying the look, further cheapening and saturating the market with it.

Saint Laurent has become a brand that I feel is drifting a little bit into the territory of the "uncool" at the moment (hype beast types, basketball players, Ellen Degeneres and Sly Stallone, etc.). As just a random example, my barber, who I'd consider a kinda uncool hype beast type (he wouldn't have a ******* clue who Jacno was...), is incorporating some Saint Laurent into his rather horrible provincial wardrobe (even worse, he's five years too late at least).

I'm not trying to be judgmental here; I like the idea of people being free to do their own thing in life--I just don't want everyone doing the same thing as me. But I'm totally open to the idea that this is a state of mind that I have that is arbitrary, and perhaps foolish.

I ******* love what he's doing at Celine with menswear. And I'm sort of holding onto it with this neurotic jealousy.

Laissez-faire

Reaction score

These fit like the ones Hedi is wearing.
Not sure about the intended fit (tight or more loose).
I wear a size 30 in most SLP denim and have to size down to 29 in Celine in order to not lose my pants. I could wear and own a size 30 pair of skinny jeans (first season M sK 004) and would be able to wear them with a belt, but they are a bit wide in the wrong spots.
Size 29 in Celine is really tight for me (in a good way) no matter the model, they all fit the same around the waist.
Interestingly a size 48 (M) pair of wool pants measures the same 41 cm as all of the denim i tried in size 29 does. If you take a look at the size guide on their website they list sizes 29 and 30 as Medium (48). Usually it's 30/31.
For me a slim fit around the hips, upper leg is way better because of my small bum :)
If you look closely, even the fits on the ss 2020 runway vary from skinny to slightly loose, held in place with a belt...

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These fit like the ones Hedi is wearing.
Not sure about the intended fit (tight or more loose).
I wear a size 30 in most SLP denim and have to size down to 29 in Celine in order to not lose my pants. I could wear and own a size 30 pair of skinny jeans (first season M sK 004) and would be able to wear them with a belt, but they are a bit wide in the wrong spots.
Size 29 in Celine is really tight for me (in a good way) no matter the model, they all fit the same around the waist.
Interestingly a size 48 (M) pair of wool pants measures the same 41 cm as all of the denim i tried in size 29 does. If you take a look at the size guide on their website they list sizes 29 and 30 as Medium (48). Usually it's 30/31.
For me a slim fit around the hips, upper leg is way better because of my small bum :)
If you look closely, even the fits on the ss 2020 runway vary from skinny to slightly loose, held in place with a belt...
Thanks for this write up. I really appreciate it. I'm having a ton of trouble with the German, I'm embarassed to say--those ones you posted do seem to be the "slim" cut, and the same as the black one's I posted a link to. Can I ask how they fit on your calfs? I definitely don't want something that is painted on my calfs. Could I trouble you for a fit pic? Don't worry about quality, you've seen my work in this regard.

It sounds like the size 30 waist is perfect, though. Does anyone have fit pics of these ones? https://www.celine.com/en-us/celine...slim-jeans-in-black-denim-2N309760D.38NF.html
2N309760D.38NF_1_FALL19_220341v1.jpg

Edit: the other reason why the German is problematic is that the particular denim you posted is not on the US website. It seems that he's using zippers for slim denim, and button fly for skinny?

Last edited:

Laissez-faire

Reaction score
The skinny denim uses zippers as well.

Sorry, no fit pics. I already sent them back to Celine.I will stick to the skinny ones as they look better with my SLP shoes.

They are wider at the calves, hence why i suggested that you look into them. If you look at the picture of Hedi that i posted you can see that they are tight on the upper leg, wide around the calves and then tapered towards the leg opening, which probably makes them work with the Jacno boots.
I thought they might be a better fit for your purchases than the Dior jeans you posted.

The style id seems to be different on the ones in your link and the description on the german webpage is not very helpful. They just call them slim, same as the skinny ones. The skinny ones are further described with a close to the body cut. So i don't really know if they are the same.

Just order them in 30 and 31. If you don't like them send them back. If you like them keep the right size :)

I have to do the same atm. I would need to go to Paris otherwise.

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think you are right with regard to the cut at the calf in the picture of Hedi you posted. For some reason I didn't look at it that closely when you mentioned it. I really don't want something like the d02's that he did for SLP.

Great idea to order two sizes; not sure why I didn't think of that. I'll post pics of them if I get around to ordering them in the coming days.

Laissez-faire

Reaction score
Yeah, I think you are right with regard to the cut at the calf in the picture of Hedi you posted. For some reason I didn't look at it that closely when you mentioned it. I really don't want something like the d02's that he did for SLP.

Great idea to order two sizes; not sure why I didn't think of that. I'll post pics of them if I get around to ordering them in the coming days.

Nothing like the D02 for sure.
The skinny ones are pretty similar.

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing like the D02 for sure.
The skinny ones are pretty similar.
These are probably the black skinny ones, right? I love the fit of these on him.
image0-png.1302467

Seeing the monkstraps makes me sad that I have to send mine back though.

jeune

Reaction score
See, I must be weird, because I kinda like that the brand isn't selling that much. I'm an older millennial, and inherited some of those Gen X prejudices against conformity, "inauthenticity", "uncoolness" and (admittedly empty) concepts like that. I live out in the provinces, so it's not like everyone is going to be dressing like me anyway--but I would hate to be walking around a cool city like Paris or London and see every second dude rocking my vibe. I feel like this may have happened with Saint Laurent over time and, even worse, other brands were also copying the look, further cheapening and saturating the market with it.

Saint Laurent has become a brand that I feel is drifting a little bit into the territory of the "uncool" at the moment (hype beast types, basketball players, Ellen Degeneres and Sly Stallone, etc.). As just a random example, my barber, who I'd consider a kinda uncool hype beast type (he wouldn't have a ******* clue who Jacno was...), is incorporating some Saint Laurent into his rather horrible provincial wardrobe (even worse, he's five years too late at least).

I'm not trying to be judgmental here; I like the idea of people being free to do their own thing in life--I just don't want everyone doing the same thing as me. But I'm totally open to the idea that this is a state of mind that I have that is arbitrary, and perhaps foolish.

I ******* love what he's doing at Celine with menswear. And I'm sort of holding onto it with this neurotic jealousy.

I think it's interesting because it's been spread around those "hypebeast"/streetwear circles and younger kids that suiting and "dressing up" will be back in, and the collectable logo t-shirts and monotonous branding pieces are on their way out.

What I love about Hedi at Celine is that he taps into the past youth subculture/counter-cultures and also adds a little bit of pop to it (Jacno was by no means fringe, at least after the fact). For example the comparing and contrasting of the "French Riviere" to 70's/early 80's American culture for SS20; Skinheads, Mods, and West Berliners to the Bourgeois of Paris and "Le Drugstore" kids.

Saint Laurent under Vacarello is (to me) more trashy, the party at a really popular club and everyone listens to you talk for 2 minutes then turns to say hi to someone else. It's funny because Hedi was criticized for having his girls wear very skimpy dresses that no self-respecting female would wear; and now at Vacarello SL that's just what people want I guess. All about timing.

I think trying to reach and attain that "I don't want everyone doing the same thing as me" is possible where you're probably living, but of course out there in the world there will be groups of people that probably dress the same way you do, like the same music (BITE IT, YOU SCUUM - GG Allin), which I think is actually more fun that way rather than "I want to hold this to myself".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads