• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official CELINE thread

Bill H

Reaction score
Try slim bootcut jeans. Black would be preferable for a more edgy vibe. Have the thighs be tight for a more modern vibe.

Yeah, they were fast on their uptake on Hedi's women's fw19 Celine.

I don't think Hedi is really that focused on Phoebe's Céline. Her vision felt very experimental when looking at her most recent seasons. Here is Hedi's template for success, creative director's edition.

1. Visit archives of house to learn its history
2. Decide on the overarching story he wants for the brand
3. Insert obscure brand history into details of items
4. For each season, decide on which past musical genre to be inspired by
5. Modernize the past so that it becomes accessible
6. Dress indie musicians in pieces to give his work some authenticity because it is glorified cosplay

People think that Hedi was "forced by critics" to do fw19 because of the backlash from ss19...but in reality fw19 was planned well in advance. My theory about ss19 was that, ignoring the females in suits like the male counterparts, it was for the red carpet. All those dresses that were criticized ended up being the pieces that they had celebrities decked out in for events. It is just unusual to have women on the red carpet dressed in fw19 as it is too casual. But this is just my theory.

Part of the reason why people aren't as into Hedi's vision for Celine is because it is much more educated and French. He's been inserting hints of it if people are perceptive. This wasn't what they signed up for when they were first interested in Hedi from the Saint Laurent days. For example, Marilyn Manson was an appropriate icon for Hedi's vision of Saint Laurent. He is in no way appropriate for Hedi's vision of Celine. There's been a heavy emphasis on ties for Celine for ss19 and fw19. The beginning is always going to set the expectation of what people have for the brand. ss19 and fw19 are likely to be closest to the core vision of Hedi's Celine.

Sorbonne collar is a reference to the Sorbonne University in Paris:
View attachment 1331579

Celine university sweater:
View attachment 1331580
It almost appears as if the "flagship" model footwear is the single monk strap Jacno shoe:
View attachment 1331582

However, I don't think most people attracted to Hedi's Saint Laurent is ready to want to wear monk strap dress shoes. Another shoe that they're pushing hard at Celine are the loafers. Hedi tried to push loafers at Saint Laurent during ss13, but it seems like they abandoned loafers quite quickly.

Haven't been keeping up to date on the men's side of fast fashion, but the women's side are already ripping Hedi's fw19. Men are usually more conservative, so I expect it to take some time.
Yo thanks thorns... you have a brand to rec?

thorns

Reaction score

Fred-JettRink

Reaction score
Few years back i absolutely hated flared pants and swore to never ever wear them. Then a few years went by und slowly i'm getting kinda bored of skinny jeans and flared jeans look sort of different and attractive suddenly😅

thorns

Reaction score
I used to wear flares...until I unlearned everything to dive into the 2013 Hedi era, so a bit of this feels like an uncomfortable blast from the past for me. I feel like with our current culture + social media, tons of different styles are now able to coexist instead of having trends that last a long period before the next one. I think skinny jeans will stay relevant for at least another decade if not more.

Furq

Reaction score
I could be totally wrong about this, but it feels to me like Hedi is trying to split the difference between Phoebe Philo's Celine aesthetic and the one that he had previously "developed" (a neutral term for those who think his work is unoriginal). This is understandable, since it'd be a really violent gesture to just turn this brand into one devoted to the rocker look, and its various offshoots. People would freak out about that.

The problem, it seems to me, is that this no-man's land between Phoebe Philo's aesthetic and his previous rocker one is lacking cultural referents that most people will be into. Hence the inscrutability of the first two seasons, and arguably the 70's infused one as well--although, a ton of brands seem to be going in this direction.

I don't think fast fashion brands are going to rip-off his aesthetic from the first two seasons, given the low demand for it--but I could see that happening to this latest one, given that even really shitty brands like Off-white are putting out flared trousers now.
I wouldn’t go so far as to call the flared denim look entirely based off his new collection. Many labels from designer to others have flared trousers as part of their new season items

thorns

Reaction score
I think only maybe the cropped wide trousers/denim look + combat boots & the coulettes + knee high boots can be called a Celine "signature" silhouette. But really I think Hedi is being reactionary to what the cool kids are wearing when deciding on what to push. By tapping into what society is ready for, he gets to create clothing that people want to wear, instead of things that look good on the runway but nobody wants to wear it in real life.

GG Allin

Reaction score
I used to wear flares...until I unlearned everything to dive into the 2013 Hedi era, so a bit of this feels like an uncomfortable blast from the past for me. I feel like with our current culture + social media, tons of different styles are now able to coexist instead of having trends that last a long period before the next one. I think skinny jeans will stay relevant for at least another decade if not more.
The return of the repressed!
I wouldn’t go so far as to call the flared denim look entirely based off his new collection. Many labels from designer to others have flared trousers as part of their new season items
No, I totally agree with you on this. In fact, I have a couple of flared trousers from Valentino from a few years ago, and Gucci has been consistently putting them out for several years.

Bill H

Reaction score
View attachment 1331692

This Celine pair looks quite slim at the thighs.

I was poking around on google and tons of less expensive options if you want to test the waters first.
View attachment 1331694

I think Anthony has made some bootcut jeans at Saint Laurent too...
Thanks Thorns

zonobrah

Reaction score
View attachment 1331692

This Celine pair looks quite slim at the thighs.

I was poking around on google and tons of less expensive options if you want to test the waters first.
View attachment 1331694

I think Anthony has made some bootcut jeans at Saint Laurent too...
Their jackets are absolutely beautiful. I've been saying G-easy and Luka Sabbath wearing the wear western inspired jacket. Red and white.

CELINE is making a strong come back.

Reaction score

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 87 17.5%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 158 31.7%
  • 8”

Votes: 144 28.9%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 58 11.6%
  • 9”

Votes: 26 5.2%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 11 2.2%