• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love that the pieces or a good bit of them were made in France. Now that it's been mentioned that this will be Hedi's Chanel it makes a lot of sense (and not only because of the similarities in names, haha!).

My favorite pieces from Dior are made in France. Maybe it's a selection bias, but they ooze quality.

scanner

Reaction score
what do you feel about critics saying that it is just Saint Laurent over again? What do you mean by Hedi matured?

Most of the criticism I've heard is that its just Dior Homme and SL all over again.. but I don't see how that is a bad thing..
I still wear my old DH and SL pieces - mostly basics, shirting, some jackets, sweaters, denim, chelseas, and they still look as fresh and modern and upscale.

I suppose people are just now used to the Virgils, Micheles, Gvasilias of the world and expect loud clothes. Fashion in general is overrun by a new type of clientele and buyer. Just look at shops like HLorenzo and Atelier where they are now selling yeezy and off white and even will smiths son msft label, obviously to cash in on this streetwear craze. It's no wonder they view this as boring.

In the case of Hedi maturing, he's sticking to his thing and combining elements of his past work and making it even more understated and elegant. This is nothing like SL first runway show where you can spot someone out in wyatts on the street, the clothes here you'd never know where they came from and that is the kind of design i admire and respect. A minimalist approach where the design is in the details.

Call me crazy but luxury used to be an understated thing. Where people would only recognize your clothes by 4 pieces of stitching (margiela) or darts on the back of your jeans (dior) or even something as simple as an asymmetrical stitch in the back of your shirt (rick). But nowadays people want loud tigers printed all over their jeans and shoes as if were back to the old evisu and ed hardy days.

scanner

Reaction score
Love that the pieces or a good bit of them were made in France. Now that it's been mentioned that this will be Hedi's Chanel it makes a lot of sense (and not only because of the similarities in names, haha!).

My favorite pieces from Dior are made in France. Maybe it's a selection bias, but they ooze quality.

That brings the reason I'm in love with this. Its not about big loud images that will get you recognized on the street. its about quiet, quality luxury that makes you feel good about your purchase. Hermes for example, you have to respect their quiet conservative styling, but there is quality in it. This to me feels like its striving to do that but with a bit of an edge.

I think that was the one thing that Hedi was limited by at SL was the production methods. I think the change from DH where he could get away with really beautiful materials to SL where he was constricted by profit margins will let him really go wild at Celine.

I can't speak about phoebe philo, I know people have a lot of strong opinions, but no one got this brash about the subject when alexander wang took over nicholas ghesquire at Balenciaga. Just let things continue and move on and think with your wallet.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Balenciaga has been dead for a while now. Also as someone who owns a good amount of old DH and SLP basics I’m under no illusions of artistitic or intellectual merit. It’s straightforward and easy for me to wear. Not much to it beyond that.

I’m not nearly the expert that a lot of other posters here are but it’s difficult to look at what Phoebe put out and not find it more interesting. I mean even looking at something basic like silhouette. Also, very wearable.

Last edited:

ViceofGucci

Reaction score
The backlash is stronger since Celine was mainly a brand made for females made by a female which lead to the strong reaction.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As scanner said, this is one of those things you have to let ride for a few days or weeks. It seems that the angst has died down a bit already. I'm interested to know when and how some of the pieces will be available for purchase.

youwhat

Reaction score
what you mean 'how'?

i'd imagine go to the shop and buy them / order from places like mr porter etc

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit curious if they'll be all in the web shop akin to YSL or will do more of the Dior thing where the focus is on the boutiques. But yes, a bit opaque of a "how" !

(Obviously the future is toward the web shops but there's still an air, maybe?, of exclusivity when the whole gamut is not available for instant purchase online.)

Finally, brands that sell on MrPorter are more common to me than if they eschew it.

Bill H

Reaction score
Hey when is this going to start to hit stores?

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I seem to remember someone saying that the hiring of Slimane is part of an effort to drastically improve sales. Given that, I'd be shocked if they didn't also increase the availability of online shopping.

Adamdraps

Reaction score
I seem to remember someone saying that the hiring of Slimane is part of an effort to drastically improve sales. Given that, I'd be shocked if they didn't also increase the availability of online shopping.

They're going to do exactly that. You'll be able to get Celine at Mr. Porter, ssense, matches fashion, etc.

If you go look on Celine's instagram and read the comments, you'll see people say things like "idk why they hired Hedi to increase profits, they were making enough money!!"These people act like they own Celine. It's quite amusing actually.

Last edited:

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does LVMH break down revenues or profits by maison?

Enexde96

Reaction score
If you go look on Celine's instagram and read the comments, you'll see people say things like "idk why they hired Hedi to increase profits, they we making enough money!!"These people act like they own Celine. It's quite amusing actually.

No they're acting like people that previously cared for a brand that represented one thing, only to be ripped apart to represent the complete opposite and all in the interest of feeding the LVMH money machine instead of the interest of creative fashion.

Not as many cared when Hedi brought about SLP because YSL wasn't doing much in the fashion world. At that time anyways. In this case however, Celine under Philo held a unique and relevant place in fashion. The destruction of this in favor of well... let's be honest another SLP? So now we have two SLP's and no Celine. That's not even including all the SLP clones that have arisen in the past few years. The fact that it was also previously a feminist fashion brand and the current climate around gender politics probably didn't help either.

I don't hate Slimane's work and view it similarly to @cyc wid it does. It certainly has a place in fashion but Slimane is predictably putting out more of the same only at a different label and it's just redundant. The situation is good for business, but pretty bad for fashion and making fun of old Celine fans for understandably being upset doesn't make any sense.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was told that the menswear will be available in February. Long but makes sense considering they're building from the ground up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads