• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official CELINE thread

OhMe

Reaction score
So today I went to the Paris store rue François 1er and I have to say I am very disappointed by the overall quality of the clothes.

I am almost depressed, to be honest. Initially I wanted to write a full report but after what I saw I don't have the motivation anymore.

I was with a friend who works in the industry, and he gave the clothes a 6/10 quality at best, with which I agree.

I tried a leather jacket, a teddy jacket, a tailor jacket, and I don't even know what to say. Disappointing quality, boring design, nothing.

And please don't tell me this is the same level of quality as Saint Laurent : boots, jeans and shirts are similiar quality, but outerwear is not. I was here in 2012 to discover the first Saint Laurent collection and it was not cheap like this.

The SA told us he met Hedi in person because Hedi was in the boutique to organize it. Well, the boutique is really nice, but I can't believe Hedi is proud of the clothing.

The good news is I will save a lot of money if the quality remains at this level. For now, I cancel all the plans I had with CELINE.

rire

Reaction score
Preach.

In fact, I'm buying a SLP jacket tomorrow, that'll show them! Who's with me?

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahh, dang, that's a shame. I had brought up the slightly lower price point in another thread and was pilloried for it, but I had a sneaking suspicion that the quality of some pieces may be a touch lower. I'm going to check out the NYC boutique in a week or two. Have my eye on a couple blazers, but am very picky with construction and draping, so we shall see.

scanner

Reaction score
I as well found the quality to be absurdly lacking. Shoes are fine, but I can't say they are anywhere near the quality of the first few SL seasons and they don't hold a candle to DH. There was no raw denim but the other denim I felt didn't even feel like SL, it felt closer to COS or Rag & Bone. The illusion is definitely spot on though - Design of stores, packaging, etc. but I'm a little confounded by the inconsistencies in the branding on clothes. Some have Celine branding, some dont, some have tags, patches, other articles in the same line up don't. It all feels like a rushed mess. I really hope the kinks get sorted out by next season. This doesn't compare to SL's launch at all. At launch everything was thoughtfully introduced from the ground up. Sneakers.. Raw Denim.. Beautiful shirting.. Slowly up until the first runway we were getting an unveiling of a new brand identity - Like The Profit, I almost get the feeling that Hedi is just here to revamp the house and make a quick buck for the corp and move on.

thorns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m mostly relying on runway, editorials, and SA uniforms to get an idea of the “real” CELINE. I think there is a lower tier shuffled among the rest of the items that were made more for revenue than really embodying the CELINE code. I consider that other stuff the diffusion line.

Bill H

Reaction score
So today I went to the Paris store rue François 1er and I have to say I am very disappointed by the overall quality of the clothes.

I am almost depressed, to be honest. Initially I wanted to write a full report but after what I saw I don't have the motivation anymore.

I was with a friend who works in the industry, and he gave the clothes a 6/10 quality at best, with which I agree.

I tried a leather jacket, a teddy jacket, a tailor jacket, and I don't even know what to say. Disappointing quality, boring design, nothing.

And please don't tell me this is the same level of quality as Saint Laurent : boots, jeans and shirts are similiar quality, but outerwear is not. I was here in 2012 to discover the first Saint Laurent collection and it was not cheap like this.

The SA told us he met Hedi in person because Hedi was in the boutique to organize it. Well, the boutique is really nice, but I can't believe Hedi is proud of the clothing.

The good news is I will save a lot of money if the quality remains at this level. For now, I cancel all the plans I had with CELINE.

Overall I feel you; the leathers were disappointing, the suede jacket vs like a curtis... not even close... actually quite similar to current SLP suede which is also disappointing. However... the chesterfield and peacoat quality are excellent... actually better than I was expecting. And shout out to FW13... nothing compares.

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is disturbing news. What possible excuse could this huge company have for not coming right out of the gate and delivering an impeccable product, especially given how highly people rated it under the previous director?

Bill H

Reaction score
This is disturbing news. What possible excuse could this huge company have for not coming right out of the gate and delivering an impeccable product, especially given how highly people rated it under the previous director?
Agreed

mugatu

Reaction score
I went to Grenelle store the other day and was also quite underwhelmed, not so much by the quality but rather the lackluster offering. Everything felt like déja vu with a less sophisticated attention to the garments. Of course this echoes my overall disappointment with SS19. It's just a boring/dull collection imo. It does feel like clothing was rushed in order to meet store opening deadline, some items even had "sample" and hand-writing on the care tags! The raw black skinny jeans are made in japan so that's that at least. The washed denim felt very cheap with an awful cut. The outerwear & tailoring, usually Hedi's forte didn't hold up much value either. I'm really hoping Celine steps their game up for FW19.. Easy pass for the time being!

parnyc

Reaction score
The clothes marked "sample" is also what they have in NYC, simply because not all of the product was ready, but to give customers and indication of the pieces. Thus allowing them to pre-order or put their information down to see the product in their size when it arrives.

No, the product offering isn't out of this world, but again - what was everyone expecting after seeing the first show? I'm still a bit confused on this, considering what he showed.

Personally, I loved the tailoring pieces I tried on when I went, and thought they were cut beautifully. There is also a houndstooth mac that fits very well. To each their own I guess, I didn't see an issue with the quality of any of the pieces I tried on.

OhMe

Reaction score

parnyc

Reaction score
This.

Honestly, did you have the feeling you had luxury clothes in front of you ?

If your answer is a "yes", may I ask what is your experience with luxury clothing ?

For the two pieces I tried on which were the mac and the cashmere coat, yes. I cannot speak to every other piece in the shop. And for the record, I have a lot of experience with luxury clothing.

Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads