• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Cars Discount / Thrift & DIY Questions and Bragging Thread.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Time for a long overdue Darkness post.

For the last 2 months, the car has been stripped of bumpers,handles,side windows,and all the other bits. i have been working hard on it. with some of Japan's finest craftsmen lending a hand. (of course Thrift prices) it has been holding up space in a friends workshop until now.
1506271077562.jpg

1506271148019.jpg

1506271151869.jpg

having creases ironed out,dents filled, made smooth as an egg. but after a mishap with the clearcoat? i can't part time this in my friends shop. I need to bring it home.
it is all back to smooth now. i got a paint gun. paint, and now? a Thrifted Compressor.
time to have some fun with this. and try out some old school techniques.
stay tuned. its still a build in progress. :-D

View attachment 847131

Last edited:

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Planning to take a 14 hour road trip at the end of next month, maybe I'll document what i do to my 400k mile wagon to get it ready for the trip (this will be the second time it's completed the trip).

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, @Thrift Vader I got my xmas present finally. Unfortunately, I think it is headed back because I can't get any of the drawers open on the top box. Sucks. :( Why doesnt anyone make a quality tool chest that is less than $5k?
IMG_3669.jpg

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody still checking out this thread?

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since @Thrift Vader asked me about my BMWs, I'll update the status on here. I had 2 E38 BMW 7 series. One was a 2000 740iL and it was my daily driver. I have had it for 7 years. The other was a 2001 740iL Sport. It was beautiful in "RoyalRot Red" with sand interior and M-Par wheels. But, I decided to sell it. After I sold it, I saw a 99 740iL with only 94,000 miles advertised on Craigslist. I called the guy and I was the first caller and immediately went to look at it. He wanted $3500. It had a book of service records and was a one owner car. I knew the shop that had worked on it. I ended up buying it. SO, I replaced the Red one with this much lower mileage version and pocketed $2000 difference from selling the other and buying the new one. My trusty old car (the 2000) was still my daily driver. It was starting to show its age. But, it was the best car I ever owned. Unfortunately, back in January, it experienced a catastrophic failure. The timing chain guides crashed. It had 255,000 miles on it so it served me well. that is also very high mileage for the guides to have lasted. It is now parked at my house and is a parts car. I am glad it can live on by donating its various organs. I already used the radiator in it when I needed one in my other car. Here is it on its last ride. as it was driving away, I could hear Taps playing mournfully in my head.

002.JPG

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The timing chain guides crashed.
I assume valves were bent?

Funny story, I had to replace a timing belt once on an old Eagle Vision. As I was at multiple parts store looking for a new tensioner and idler, every parts guy was like “Um, thats an interference engine which means you more or less broke valves”. Except I am still not aware of a manufacturer that would put a timing belt on an interference engine due to the fact that they all fail at around 100k miles. With warranties extended out, no manufacturer would risk engine replacement at that few miles.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume valves were bent?

Funny story, I had to replace a timing belt once on an old Eagle Vision. As I was at multiple parts store looking for a new tensioner and idler, every parts guy was like “Um, thats an interference engine which means you more or less broke valves”. Except I am still not aware of a manufacturer that would put a timing belt on an interference engine due to the fact that they all fail at around 100k miles. With warranties extended out, no manufacturer would risk engine replacement at that few miles.

The chain didn't break. So, it didn't jump time. BUT, all the little plastic bits break off start circulating around. I got it shut off before any heavy engine damage. BUT, the timing chain guide replacement is a HUGE job. Its at least $1200 in parts and HOURS of labor. People who have had shops do the work have spent $3500-$6000. That kind of $ FAR exceeds the value of the car.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay Car Thrift Experts, my old truck 92 Ford F-150 has a bad power steering leak. I have had two mechanics that I have used in the past and that I trust. Neither one can find the problem. I had to drive it this weekend and this morning to haul I ladder I rented. I added ATF (because Ford Recommended either Power Steering Fluid or ATF) on Friday. I drove it a few miles. By this morning, it leaked out again. I have done some research and its usually the pump or the high pressure line. Both shops looked at it and can't narrow down the leak. So, do I just buy the high pressure line and the pump and fix them both? If either is original, it could probably use both of them. I have a hard time imagining the leak isn't obvious. But, I know I haven't been able to tell either.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thread revive!! Installed a hitch on the wife's Ascent. Took me an hour even though the instructions called for 2 hours. Well, with rangling the kids and a few breaks and the wiring install it took me 2 hours.

Only issue I had was the bottom bolt/speed nut on both mud flaps (if you can even call them that, what a joke) seized and I had to cut them off. Oh well, no more "mudflaps". :rolleyes2:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
@jcman311 definitely, we need to revive the thread. maybe we can get @yorkshire pud to participate. and the other SF car guys.
I don't have any projects going on right now, but do have some scratches that need removal on my Legacy.

Pics of the hitch install?

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Well guys, If you scroll up you will see a Toyota Celsior (LS400) all stripped down for paint.
Well, Snow was due that week. I had 2 days to paint the car and get the windows in. I painted it outside, in not ideal conditions. on the street side.
I taped it up for a 2-tone paint job. Silver below, and Black metal flake overlaid with color flip paint. I even "Laced" the roof. Then? Seeing it was awesome but not perfect? I Busted out the "Rust kit" And turned it from a "Show" paint job to a "Whoa" paint job.
hillsbarge.jpg

I made this. "The Barge".
-A Vip show car that looked like it was pulled from the ocean. The door cards were trimmed in Gucci fabric to match the interior. It was lux. and badass.

Sadly long gone now, but this thread needs closure on the car.
I miss it every day.

Last edited:

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha, I’ll have to run out and get pics. Its a true “hidden hitch” thats sits behind a removable panel.

I organized my box and some tools the other day. Did a quick (thrift) tool holder that wont win any beauty pageants but more than gets the job done.
EFC0DE24-9DC0-4674-97ED-68ED0F3FB33C.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads