1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Cars Discount / Thrift & DIY Questions and Bragging Thread.

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Thrift Vader, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

100% Agree with those points. 20k can buy you a 100k car with a few miles on it.

there was even a 2005 GDB Subaru WRX STI with low miles and no mods in his budget. - 4 doors, awd, solid, and in white with a blue/black interior!!!! plus parts are more available than any other model. (trust me, i'm coming up dry on parts for my GC8).

with Euro's in particular. research on common faults, and service history/low miles are what you are really paying for.

Build pics and deetz on progress soon.

2. fox15

fox15 Well-Known Member

Sweet project car choice. as i'm sure you know that a 2.0 Legacy is the easiest car to swap a EJ20TT into. everything from the B4 fits.  unlike some other models, which have engines unique to that trim spec in the U.S.   One of my Daily's has the Twin Turbo EJ20 in it. (01 Legacy GTB)  the thing HAULS ASS in the snow. [​IMG]  

Post your DIY adventures here. and any upgrades that are saving money, or improving the style.  popcorn on this one. [​IMG]

I almost left out the best part:
    [​IMG]

If I was going to go lexus, I'd lean IS but then again I'd rebadge it as an altezza for fun

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015

3. Thrift Vader

4. fox15

fox15 Well-Known Member

Yeah, found it on CL two years ago with 80k on the clock for a touch over $6k but fully loaded and the elusive dog box tranny. Down side is that it's charcoal leather interior and the a/c went out... in Arkansas heat and humidity. That and finding anyone to work on a Suby here is a nightmare when you can't do it yourself

5. Thrift Vader

Good deal,and nice options. A/C is no drama.prolly just needs a re-gas and a leak check. check your fuses and relays first if no action at all.
    - This thread is here to help folks learn to do things themselves. and brag it. now we know what you are going to fix and post some time soon? [​IMG]

@Fueco get at me for deetz on swapping your engine.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015

6. noob15

noob15 Senior Member

My current day to day ride is a 2007 VW Rabbit. The truck is a 1995 F150 with the Mazda 5 speed tranny and the famous Ford 300 (4.9l). I've had a highlander (2008 model), Honda Accords, etc.

The VW is coming up on being the 2nd most trouble free car I've had so far. The Honda is a 2000 LX with a manual and the 2.3L engine. It lasted 196K on the original clutch and is still on the road as the ex's back up car. The AC still blows cold, and while she probably should replace the sway bar bushings, it does what it's supposed to do. The highlander blew the original oil cooler lines (Toyota fixed it for free at 130K miles since it was under recall) and has been an utterly reliable vehicle and a great road trip vehicle despite the poor mileage.

IF I could only afford to buy one used car and was limited on money, I would be looking at a low mileage six or seventh gen Honda with a stick and the 2.3L. Those things are unbeatable.

7. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Distinguished Member

There are 100's of Mercedes Diesels that have gone over a Million miles. In fact the first was 20-30 years ago. There is a guy with a 60's Volvo P1800 with over 3 Million miles.

8. Shiny

Shiny Senior Member

Noble,
    My wife really wants a Mercedes. Hasn't really given me a model, but I'm thinking E class or, my preference, would be an M class since I'd like to be able to drive an SUV once in a while. (I drive a Priius.) Probably a 2013 or so since I don't wanna buy new and take the depreciation hit. A friend of mine got an e class a few years ago when they were discontinuing body styles and got 10K or so off MSRP. Don't know if MB is doing that with their current "new" lineup but that is a deal I would consider, too. Any tips?

9. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Distinguished Member

If you are looking used, no matter what, get a third party to do a PPI for you. A lot of people don't want to spend the couple hundred dollars, but especially in a car that a small issue can be expensive, it is absolutely worth it. It can also give you some help bargaining. If they find anything in the PPI, you can use that to get the seller to come down.

I also recommend checking out Carmax if their prices are similar to other dealers in the models you are looking at. They have a 6 year full coverage warranty with a price that varies from model to model (does not cover scheduled service, but covers nearly anything that can breaks). It is worth looking at, especially in a car that is a 500-1000 repair if the seals go bad in a tail light or something similar.

10. Cj52racers

I love the p1800. Love.

And those Merc diesels are awesome. The styling has aged well too I think. Beautiful things

11. Nobleprofessor

Mercedes has a Certified Car event going on right now. But, you have to buy by September 30. The CPO cars have an amazing deal:

"two years of pre paid maintenance service, an unlimited mileage CPO warranty, two months of payment credits and financing as low as 2.99% APR."

it applies to Model years 2012-2014 with certain mileage conditions. Call your local dealer about it. If I was going to buy a certified Mercedes now, I would get an E class or M, just like you mentioned. With the certified cars you get a better/longer warranty. In fact, better than if it was new.

For years, the E class has been the most reliable model. The M class used to be a nightmare, but starting in about 2002, they got a LOT better.

12. Randomore

Randomore Senior Member

Been thinking about trading in my 13 Hyundai Elantra that I bought to use as a daily driver. I just can't stand how basic it is lol. I've always driven a sporty car.

The suggestions you guys made have been awesome. I didn't know you can get that much car for that price range.

Any tips on trading in? Sell the car private party or at the dealer?

13. Cj52racers

The private party/dealer sale is generally determined by a few things. If you own it outright, private party sales will generally net you 10-20% more than selling at a dealer. If you have a loan on it, check what your payoff amount is and then see what the going sales are on the model. If you owe more than the cars value, a dealer is the best route as they can basically just add the negative equity to the purchase amount of whatever you are looking at. It's also necessary to take into account the hassle of private sales. DMV smog checks, payments, etc.

14. Nobleprofessor

Carmax is a good resource for pricing and if you can find the ones that are underpriced, they are great. My problem with them is the cars that are overpriced. They do not negotiate. Period. I don't know about their extended warranty. But, if you buy a car that is new and certified (by the dealer), the original factory warranty is extended and you are dealing with the Factory not an extended warranty company. So, if you want a car new enough to get a long extended warranty, I would go with a Certified Pre-Owned Car.

A 2016 MB E350 4Matic is $66K at my local dealer. OR, the same dealer has a 2014 E350 4Matic with only 13k miles and it is a CPO for $46,000.

For me personally, I would not buy one of the smaller Mercedes. I am not really a fan of the C Class. I think in terms of reliability, resale, etc. an E Class is almost always a better bet.

Of course, if you can afford an S Class and can trade it off before it runs out of warranty and don't mind the very significant depreciation, they are AMAZING CARS. The same would be true for BMW although the most reliable is probably the 3 Series. But, in terms of resale and comfort and a lot of other intangibles, the 5 Series is probably the best bet.

15. Cj52racers

I wholly agree. For something recent and e class or similar models that have had great reliability I would definitely look certified pre owned.

I mention Carmax more for cars out of warranty and/or less reliable models like the s class or something like the c63. You may pay more than a private sale or non cpo, and they don't haggle, but the warranty will cover nearly any non-scheduled service related issue. I don't know the numbers off hand, but my buddy bought a c63 through carmax and bought the 6 year warranty for roughly $5k. He had gone over that in repairs in the first two years of the term. It can be a nice safety net.

Generally, I don't recommend carmax for much other than cars with low reliability/high repair costs, and to sell older undesirable cars that you just want to be done with.