1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Cars Discount / Thrift & DIY Questions and Bragging Thread.

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Thrift Vader, Sep 25, 2015.

1. double00

double00 Senior member

summer in mid-coastal cali? socked in.

fall? perfection.

i'd look around at some early- or mid-2000s specimens of toyota tacoma variety.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I'd prefer the baja xt.

3. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Oh, I'm sure the car sucks, but buying your kid a Brat would be an epic dad joke.

I drive a Forester...

4. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

I had an' 05 and now have '14 my daughter wants it for sure but I'm having trouble cutting the deal with the old lady for a new one. Not the most economical way to go either as it only has 35k and Its 4wd which the kid does not need but I definitely do since I spend most of the winter in Tahoe. She is paying for part of it also so I don't have absolute control.I could sell the '14 buy the kid a flatland car with that ,use the rest on a new Tacoma. I 'm thinking dad coming out of this with a new truck is a worthwhile endeavor

5. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I like the way you think.

3 people like this.
  6. ridethecliche

Like I said, my only issue with getting a kid a truck for college is them getting roped into helping everyone out because they don't want to 'be mean' to their friends.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  7. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

@rtc. I have an alternative take on "old cars"

As some of us whom are a bit older will perhaps agree.

I personally believe everybody's first car should be as "Anologue" as possible. Why?
    1. Ease of maintenance. - reducing repair costs. Or having most repairs within the realm of a $20 tool kit and an intelligent mind, could save your son/daughter $1,000's of dollars throughout their tuition.

2. Simplicity. Folding in with point 1. Such features as "wind up windows", and a bench seat with springs. While functional. And comfortable in their own way, are less likely to need repair. - All you need is air con, a cd player, and an aftetmarket alarm/keyless lock.

3. Costs. Replacement parts on common classics are affordable. New or used. On a daily driver, you can be flexible with how you choose parts. But Vw's for example. Have so much support it makes the mind melt. = cheap fun.

4. Reliability. Less electonics and all the shittiness that goes with them. When you get a "CEL" in an old car? - check the actual engine. No need to play sensor roulette.

5. Coolness. A fully restored, well presented carb'd car is just plain cool. As individual as the person behind the wheel.

-if you want a daily car that will get you through the most stressfull part of your life? I can bet you $1, 000 that a primo carb'd classic like a Veedub will outlast a Mazda 3. Or a focus, or a Hyundai, or whatever. They lasted this long. And were restored to day 1. So another 30 years to go.

We aren't talking "projects" we are talking turn key, ready to enjoy cars.

If i was near 50. And my son was needing a cheap to own daily? He would prolly be given a restored Mini. With a new floorpan. And. Some other stuff (stereo, better basics) But it would never fail him.ever.

3 people like this.
  8. ridethecliche

I don't disagree with you, especially because I'm taking an interest to this stuff. I'm 27 and I'm definitely going to have a damn lift in my garage when I have my own place as well as atleast 1-2 project cars to work on with friends/myself.

That said, not everyone has the time, know how, or desire to work on a car. An older car and a younger driver with no interest in said car is a recipe for neglect. Yes, it allows for self expression, but the guy asking didn't say that he worked on cars with his daughter and she enjoyed doing that stuff.

Not everyone has misshaped priorities like I do. I think I'm an idiot for spending time on this stuff in medical school, but I enjoy it. It keeps me sane and it's made me some friends in the process. Frankly, I think it's making me more efficient at getting shit done too because I want to study my ass off so I can go do car shit because it's fucking fun.

You're going to bring up your son to learn this stuff and wrench etc. Not everyone is interested in that. And that's okay. I'd probably never be doing any of this stuff if it was to my daily. I just want to keep that reliable and running. All the guys I know with project cars or fast cars or what have you, have a simple NA car. They make a pact with the car gods that they're not going to fuck with the NA car at all. The ones that run project 'style' cars as daily's usually have an extremely conservative tune and have overbuilt the hell out of the motor and are running far below the limits of the trans and diff. It's just too expensive and annoying to keep breaking shit in a car that you actually need to drive.

9. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

I was lucky enough to have grown up with analogue cars . In high school I hung with an older crowd that was involved with cars up to the Fuel dragster level.When people talked about raising teenagers my mom said "I wouldn't know. When Mike was 12 he stuck his head under the hood of a car and didn't come out until he was 19 and joined the service" It provided me with the confidence to know what I was capable of on a mechanical level as a result I have earned a living as a power plant instrument tech, aircraft mechanic, plumber,hightech piping systems designer and draftsman,pipefitter, nuclear qualified pipe welder . I have single handedly completely built houses from the ground up , bicycles and motor cycles . I can can maintain scuba equipment, underwater camera gear, tune snow skis and mount and adjust bindings , fit alpine ski boots ,fully maintain and repair salt water boats both powered and sail Yaddayadda blah blah. Point of this being I have already determined my daughter has inherited my aptitudes, since Ive been having to chase my tools around for the last 10 years but Im really not sure she has the interest to keep an older car road worthy.

1 person likes this.
  10. ridethecliche

That's all awesome and even more awesome that she's taken a liking to it.

It's the last bit that I wanted to make sure of. It's fun to have a project because you can say FUCK IT at the end of the day and leave it in the garage...but when you really have to go somewhere, you just want to turn a key and be on your way without worrying about it.

11. Thrift Vader

I think my point was lost on you @rtc.
    "We are not talking project Cars".

The examples i posted were fully restored. From the Chassis up. Meaning they are ready to go.
    Might seem hard for the new generation to understand. But older cars just don't break on their own. People break them.
    Serviced and maintained? They could last 100 years. Not for everybody, sure.
    My statement still stands. They just keep living. And start everytime in a warm climate. (Carbs hate winter).

My first car i repaired myself was a 1989 twin cam Corolla. Given to me for free with a bad starter motor. Spent $1,500 on it including audio and tires. sold it for $1,800. After driving it around with no problems.

Many years later. I am considering an offer to be chief mechanic. In a garage in Japan.
    While my son will of course know how to repair things. I actually want him to learn white collar work. Or be a Doctor.
    -so he has more money in his pocket for nice cars.

@numbernine, there are reliable new small cars. I just couldn't find a Honda Fit. On CL.
    Honda is reliable as you can get. That Fiat looked in great condition. But i don't imagine more than 4 years of use from it without issues.

12. ridethecliche

I get it, but I don't. I suppose it's different out in socal since rust isn't an issue, but I have a hard time trusting something that's passed hands multiple times over 3-4 decades of life. If you want to tear the engine apart to rebuild it then go for it, but I wouldn't trust someone else's resto job unless I had solid documentation or it came from a reputable shop.

1 person likes this.
  13. Thrift Vader

Hehe, true enthusiasts. Especially "air coolers". Are next level nerdy and exacting. A book of receipts, and a restoration picture album. Is all i would need to purchase from one.

The more you go down the rabbit hole into being a car guy. You will meet the kind of fanatics that make beautiful cars in their home sheds. They might farm out their engine work. But know who to get it done by for that engine.
    - :lol:, they not only have a perfect car for sale, but it usually comes with enough parts to build another one.

I love those kind of people. :)

14. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

California beach towns are the restore/hot rod centers of the universe Concours de Elegance, Woodies at the Wharf,my next door neighbor is the only classic Citron mechanic in northern California,guy next to him has a half dozen cars and trucks from the 50s, guy next to him has an immaculate red '57 chevy belaire 2 door hardtop ,volks cafe santa cruz is 2 blocks down the street fun place to live for car guys

15. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

Thats awesome @Numbernine I've noticed my first daughter (only 4) doesnt have nearly the interest in how things work like my 1 yo twins. Hopefully at least one of my three kids takes to tinkering like I have.

16. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

T
    Theres hope ,my other two and my wife could cross thread a light bulb. How things work is an interesting thing . It drives me crazy to not understand how something works and I see folks all the time doing things and you just know they have no idea or interest how or why . I used to attend construction scheduling meetings and get in trouble for demanding to know what might be driving a particular milestone. " Its the schedule dummy" Oh great I feel so much more informed now . We'll go to 7/ 12s
    starting today
    s

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  17. ridethecliche

Those are also not the cars I would want a college student or a college parking lot to abuse.
    You're approaching this with the entirely wrong mentality. I never said they weren't good cars. I just think that it's absolutely not what fits in a college students lifestyle unless they're an enthusiast.

18. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

19. Thrift Vader

Rtc, you know i like a healthy debate, without getting too heated. So let me put it to you like this. .

Sure, a restored classic might be not cared for as it should be in the hands of a rookie. But is sitting in a garage any better for them?

I understand the student/ new into the world needs, having been there also. With the earlier mentioned Corolla. If you were to ask me what is the absolute best student car of modern times?? A corolla. or a corolla. :satisfied:

My position on cars for a student are 1. Cost. 2. Reliability.
    Do you want your offspring to be paying $1,200 for a driveshaft? $300 for an o2 sensor? Shop time for a CEL? Rebuild on a twin cam engine? Replacement transmission? No. Probably not.

Something that has proven it's reliability over time is super important. Do you think your own Subaru, would have been more cost of ownership cheaper than say, a 80's Monte Carlo ss?
    As in. Just put a holley and filter on it. Freshen the systems,new tires, and drive it till the wheels fall off?
    Take both the Subaru ts. And the Monte Carlo. Both in roadworthy condition. Moving forward, which one do you think will see less shop time? And cost less to maintain?

Some newer cars have the same potential. Maybe. But it's hard to be sure which ones, as they haven't had time to prove themselves. Which is why people will say get a Honda or a Toyota. For engineering simplicity and integrity.

Strangely, i have never heard bad things about the BMW fat Mini's. With the boom in sales, rapid depreciation, and decent engineering. Those are currently shaping up the be the "cheap corolla" of the new generation. :)
    http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/5853307067.html

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  20. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Hi guys, need some help ASAP if anyone happens to check this thread daily. Pulled into a parking spot this morning and, with my foot on the brake, my car jumped forward. When I say jumped forward, I mean onto the sidewalk and nearly into a building. I obviously braked hard when it happened and didn't smash into the building. An aluminum rail in front of the building took my license plate off.

Anyway, that's obviously a huge problem that could come from a number of things. My main question is whether I should have the car towed to a mechanic a half an hour away or whether I can (safely) drive it back.

Gut tells me to tow it for the obvious reasons, but I was wondering whether you guys could shed any light on what it could possibly be. I'm really considering dumping it immediately.

Car is a '99 C220 diesel and nice enough otherwise to drive, which is why I've held onto it.