1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Cars Discount / Thrift & DIY Questions and Bragging Thread.

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Thrift Vader, Sep 25, 2015.

1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I'm so happy you decided to join this forum.

2. Al9146

Al9146 Senior member

Thank you :) There are lots of great guys here. I love being around creative people and helping out where I can.

To that end, since you're going to learn how to weld [​IMG] here's a tip: welding needs to have the metal pieces fit well prior to welding, or it can end up being a mess. OK, maybe you don't need to know this now, but considering your situation of controlling your budget on a car purchase, you may end up in a situation where you need to put in some sweat equity. What better car to practice on than a cheap one you don't really care about all that much? [​IMG]

When I made that tire rack, I wanted to weld a 2" diameter round pipe to vertical support posts, and I wanted it to be offset. As I said above, the fit needs to be good for a proper weld. I don't like welding giant gap fillers.

I made a fixture for my drill press to hold the vertical support in position while I drilled out the area to be removed.

[​IMG]

After drilling:

[​IMG]

Now for the test fit. Perfect! Welding this is a piece of cake now.

[​IMG]

There are a lot of skills to learn if you want to save cash fixing up a car. I strongly encourage my friends to take on fun project cars and I help them learn skills like welding, basic bodywork, painting (I've painted a few cars), paint correction (because I've only painted a few cars!!!) lol! basic wrenching, etc. Learning new stuff is fun, and there are plenty of people out there who are happy to help others learn.
    [​IMG]

3. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

+1. :cheers:

Great to have another member to join us in here. I like to think the other thread is more for reviewing cars, and this thread is for wrenching on cars. With a bit of mix both ways.

Some real talent up in here. As you will see in time. We got a few JDM guys, a Few Euro guys, and even some usdm's. We are a small corner of styleforum. But a good one. Welcome.

1 person likes this.
  4. ridethecliche

5. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

The Mazdaspeed 3 will fully acquaint you with torque steer.

1 person likes this.
  6. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Senior member

A little late to this discussion, but yeah a Mazdaspeed 3 will definitely bring you some torque steer. Fun cars, but the balance is a little odd.

Also, if I were just learning stick, I would not get anywhere near an MR2. The rear engine and weight distribution (roughly 42/58) means downshifts have to be really clean or it is easy to snap the rear around. Especially in the rain. Fun cars though.

7. Thrift Vader

Pass on the mazdaspeed.

I still believe the stories about MR2's are exaggerated. It's not like RTC is going to be nailing the car into an apex,downshifting over a crest before he learns to drive stick. :p

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. ridethecliche

So this guy is still available. Price seems decent and could probably be talked down. Reasonable mileage.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2789900

But it's an auto...

Oh also read that the 06's got a bump up to the 2.5L engine, so they had a bunch more torque and swapping to a slightly different turbo led to pretty insane changes without requiring much other stuff. So maybe keep looking? Oy vey.

9. 1969

1969 Senior member

Subbed.

After 10 years of owning a couple of BMW E30s I'm in need of cheap (under 10K) reliable transportation to get me through for a couple of years. Looked at Civic, Accord, Camry, Prius- all depressing. And then there's Lexus which is obviously a different car. It appears I can land something in that range but I'm concerned about maintenance. What's the consensus, is it like maintaining a Toyota, a BMW or something in between?

10. ridethecliche

In b4 someone recommends the LS400

11. Thrift Vader

It's a toyota. So it is as easy to maintain as other toyota's.

the Lexus Ls, and GS. Are the best bet. With the Is300 aswell. Any with the 1uz or 2jz engines.

I recommended a GS to another member, and it has only had one repair in 2 years. (A sensor). Almost flawless.

1 person likes this.
  12. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Senior member

Haha it doesn't take much man. Even if you're relatively proficient, a botched heel toe with a little dampness and around she goes.

1 person likes this.
  13. ridethecliche

Yeah, I'm honestly considering selling my car, bike, and throwing some money into the pot to get a used wrx next year.

The cars... scare me though. I feel like people abuse the shit out of them and an engine rebuild is pretty much guaranteed if you want a good running car. Rebuilds are fucking expensive though.

14. horndog

horndog Senior member

If you like reliability, just turbocharge an AWD Matrix S.

15. ridethecliche

This still looks tempting.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2789900

Price is lower than a manual would be because it's less desirable. It's still reasonably low miles. And I could probably swing it with cash I have on hand and make up a bit with the money I get from selling my current wagon.

They apparently revamped a bunch of stuff in 06 and the engine got a pretty significant bump. A fair bit of torque and the entire curve shifted down almost 800rpm. But can't find any of those with this mileage for less than 13ish.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  16. Thrift Vader

The 06's are famed for sucking. Not sure why.
    But still, after all this stick shift talk. You post an auto?

Considered a 350z for under 10k? @CJ52racers is a fan too.

1 person likes this.
  17. Al9146

Al9146 Senior member

Yes, doing anything too sudden in the rain can be asking for trouble. I really do like driving in the rain though. It acts like a magnifying glass and makes all my little mistakes become quite visible. Being attentive, you can learn a lot. It forces you to be smooth with all the controls and really pay attention to what the car is doing.

I would advise against rtc playing with heel/toe until he gets some time with the manual and has developed a feel for the clutch and how to blip the throttle without braking at the same time. That way, he will develop some skills to help deal with a botched heel/toe, (say, under hard braking and when pivoting for the throttle, he misses it), that he has the skills to not only notice that, but to remain calm and adjust his foot to get the throttle blip in while easing the clutch to make a smooth shift.

....but all this talk may not matter if he ends up with an automatic again. lol!

18. ridethecliche

350Z isn't a great all around car for here sadly.

The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to come around to the idea that I should keep an eye out for something and possibly do this by using funds created by selling my bike. I could totally do it now too though, I'm still hunting for miatas and other convertibles that have hard top options. I would love to mess with a turbo miata lol.

19. ridethecliche

Do any of you happen to live near/around Albany by any chance and know how to drive stick?

20. Cj52racers

Cj52racers Senior member

Haha yeah, I wasn't advising jumping into things like heel/toe, just speaking from experience. I've turned a turbo mr2 in the rain. It's not that hard to do haha. Got on the brakes for a 4-3-2 downshift and on the 3 to 2 I didn't catch nearly enough throttle and tossed the rear. Caught it and didn't hit anything, but it can happen really quickly.

1 person likes this.