The Official Cars Discount / Thrift & DIY Questions and Bragging Thread.

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Thrift Vader, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Nobleprofessor

Nobleprofessor Senior member

My plans have finally been solidified. I am going to the Raleigh Classic Car Auction in early december. I get there early enough that I can try a little thrifting before the pre-view starts. Then, auction is Friday and Saturday.

They have added more cars to the auction. I will NOT be buying any cars (I have two cars and a truck now). But, my brother says he might be a buyer.

If you are interested, here is the list of cars:

http://www.raleighclassic.com/searchclassic.html

2. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

That Chevy Luv Truck......[​IMG]

3. horndog

horndog Senior member

Thrift, find me a C's short shifter for a MKIV Supra in Japan <3

4. Nobleprofessor

I knew you would like that one!

I still can't figure out why, but I really like the '76 Park Avenue. I think I like because it is the last year for biggest of the Big American Luxo-cruisers. The big RWD C body cars were all A LOT smaller in 1977. So, the 76 represents the last year of these cars. I love the hardtop look with no pillars between the front and rear windows (when they are rolled down). I know its sort of a ridiculous car, but it still is amazing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did actually consider trying to make a run at the 91 Bronco. I love the old full size Broncos and the Full Size Chevy Blazer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course, the Holy Grail of cars at this auction is the 1970 Chevelle LS6 (a REAL LS6 with the 455 and all the LS6 specific options). I'm excited to see it!

[​IMG]

5. Nobleprofessor

6. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

That 70 chevelle is actually a 454 not a 455. Not that anyones paying attention. If that's numbers matching its got to be worth millions.
    Edit: theyre asking $150k

Its also one of the last true muscle cars before smog regulations/ insurance killed them.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  7. Thrift Vader

I can dig around. has to be C's ?? what money are we talking. if you want an one from Yahoo Japan, i can handle it through my paypal.

@Nobleprofessor The big cars are nice. and some of those Buick's were delicious.... [​IMG]

That Chevelle will probably end up on Fast n loud. no doubt.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  8. Thrift Vader

@Nobleprofessor any updates on the auction?

9. Thrift Vader

Let's try to keep this thread going, for the grass roots enthusiasts, who wanna maximize style, and speed, on a budget. from the $1k 240z guys to the $100k Muscle car guys.
    -Go fast, and look good doing it. [​IMG]

Here is an update on the STI "thrift or bust" Build:
    Now that the BOV is back on, and some vaccum leaks are sorted, it pulls through the gears really well, only making the right noises. (Budda,budda,buddaaaaaaaaaa...pshhhhhh!!!)
    Got my set of snow tires, Yokohama Iceguards,215/45/17 with 80% on them for $160.
    [​IMG]
    and had them put on a set of Legacy GTB 17inch Wheels i got absolutely free . fitting them tomorrow. [​IMG]

Sorry for being slow to update, I have started the rust repair work, while re-learning welding skills:
    [​IMG]

here it is at the start, for a welding lesson with a good friend in his workshop, we taped it off for dust. then took the wheel off to see how bad it was.
    [​IMG]

actually, it was pretty bad, and went through to the inner wheel well. i removed all the paint in a section to cut it out, and make a template.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ouch, nothing to do from here but fix it. i made up a shape in 0.6mm stainless. and set about putting it in..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

not too bad, for a first try. just some putty work, and paint at the same time as the new bumper yet to put on. (Free) might paint the wing/front bumper aswell if i can. makes sense to do it all while the paint can is open. [​IMG]

10. horndog

horndog Senior member

Progress looks good. About to put some Yoko Iceguards on my FR-S for the season. What are your goals for doing this restore/build?

11. Close Horse

Close Horse Well-Known Member

Great work, Thrift Vader. The patch looks pretty seamless.

Getting ready to put my winter tires on. I'm trying minus-sizing this year to have one inch more of rubber and less of metal. Cushion for potholes.

12. Nobleprofessor

I leave tomorrow. My brother says he is going to try to buy a car. I'm not sure which one. He is thinking about this one: http://www.raleighclassic.com/used-Raleigh-1987-Cadillac-D'Elegance-Base-1G6DW51Y0H9742829

They have added quite a few more cars.

http://www.raleighclassic.com/searchclassic.html?st=Model+asc

I wish I was in a position to buy a few of these cars. There are a few that I would definitely get for a collectable car. But, there is also an older Mercedes that would be an amazing car for my wife. Its a 1990 300E. The 300E really put Mercedes back into the minds of American buyers. They sold TONS of them and the 124 Chassis was one of the most successful in terms of the American Market. This one isn't rare or even collectable. But, it only has 57,000 miles. It would make somebody a fantastic daily driver.

http://www.raleighclassic.com/used-Raleigh-1990-Mercedes+Benz-+-300E-WDBEA30D7LB273077

You are right it is a 454. In fact, an argument can be made that this was one of the last muscle cars AND the best muscle car when these cars were reaching their peak. It is a numbers matching car. Since it is a true LS6, it will bring BIG money. I remember watching one of the convertibles (70 LS6 with every option offered) sell for over $400,000.

I predict that either the Chevelle or the 1941 Cadillac Woody will be the top dollar cars for this auction.

http://www.raleighclassic.com/used-Raleigh-1941-Cadillac-Woody+Sieres+61-Base-5349586

13. horndog

horndog Senior member

That'd be a neat daily. Of that era I'm very partial to a 560SEC.

14. Thrift Vader

Thanks. [​IMG] Plans?
    i know it will never be showroom fresh, but i want to retain it's original character. while embracing the performance parts that are now much more advanced than when it was new. so it should run low 12sec quarters, and whip my buddies on a circuit time attack lap. yet still streetable enough for daddy duties. -400whp?

so.... Carbon hood, FRP trunk,(both painted) 6spd from a GDB, Tomei Arms turbo kit, Used Titanium exhaust, (unless i make one out of stainless),larger injectors, Apexi Power Fc ECU, Decent Used Coilovers, new nolathane bushes throughout,New Cusco LSD front and back, Various small parts related to handling/response,GDB Brembo's, Dixcel Z pads, ADVAN AD08 tires in summer, etc....
    as much Thrifted/discount performance i can get under 8k.
    it will be enough to give the Euro's a hard time. [​IMG]
    really appreciate that. it is a little low, purposely, filling lows beats having high spots. and good call on the winter wheels, potholes are super bad in winter. did the same.

are you going to bid? That 300E is gorgeous.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  15. Nobleprofessor

That goes without saying. The 560SEC is in my list of cars that I definitely want to own. I did have a 126 LWB (not a coupe obviously) and the 126 is an amazing chassis. When you combine engineering of the 126 with the outstanding and exclusive luxuries of the flagship Luxury coupe, it becomes a world beater.

Here's a beautiful one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Be...a034d5f0:g:cTMAAOSwVL1WEGbh&item=281860691440

or this one with a crazy price. I don't love the color. But, it is a wonderful car.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz/560sec/1749017.html