• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dlf1981

Reaction score
Genova is gyw and lined. They run pretty large too imo. For some non-Carmina sizing ,I tend to be a 44.5-45EU across most brands depending on the last, and I think I could wear a 10 in Xim without socks, but 10.5 fits like a glove with - and a 10.5 in Genova without socks, possibly with. I returned the Genova in 11.5 because my foot was swimming.

It gets tricky because of the built-in difference between their sizing for shell, exotics, and unlined vs everything else. My 10.5 Rain lizard chukka feel noticably roomier than my 10.5 rain shell wholecuts, but both fit really nicely overall. A tongue pad fixed the chukka up. How much of the variance is due to stretching, I can't say.

Carmina makes exchanges relatively painless. So far in my experience if you're looking at Xim, Rain, or Inca go down 1 size from brannock for shell/exotic/unlined and 0.5 for normal lined shoes.

American_Psycho11

Reaction score
So far in my experience if you're looking at Xim, Rain, or Inca go down 1 size from brannock for shell/exotic/unlined and 0.5 for normal lined shoes.
Half size down meaning if I'm an 8.5US/7.5UK then a 7UK should be a safe bet? Exchanges are easy but I'd rather not be shipping back and forth from Spain just because of how long it takes. I'm greedy and want my shoes quickly

dlf1981

Reaction score
If you're a 7.5UK then a 7UK in Genova is probably a safe bet. If you can afford it, buy a 7 and a 6.5 and see which fits better.

I've had 2 pair of Genova, both of which I returned - one due to some weird defects the other due to sizing. Once I discovered how much I love the unlined Xim, I haven't revisited... but that burgundy suede loafer I bought in the wrong size sure was sexy. They're good looking shoes in person.

American_Psycho11

Reaction score
If you're a 7.5UK then a 7UK in Genova is probably a safe bet. If you can afford it, buy a 7 and a 6.5 and see which fits better.

I've had 2 pair of Genova, both of which I returned - one due to some weird defects the other due to sizing. Once I discovered how much I love the unlined Xim, I haven't revisited... but that burgundy suede loafer I bought in the wrong size sure was sexy. They're good looking shoes in person.
Thanks for your help. I'm gonna go with the 7UK and if it doesn't work out I'll go from there. Cheers!

sammy

Reaction score
Gentlemen,
I have not worn any Carmina models before, but am eyeing their Chelsea boots. Their website has them both in the Rain and Inca lasts. Aside from a difference in the toe shape, is there a difference in fit? I wear a US 7D. According to Carmina‘s sizing chart, I would be a UK 6E. Which of these two last would give me the most room across the toes? I don’t want to feel as if my toes are cramped. for reference, I wear a US 6 1/2 D in Alden’s Barrie last, which fits we great. Thanks for your help.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
Hi all. Looking into buying a pair of Carmina and have some sizing questions. First off, I’ve got a high instep. I wear 8D in vintage Florsheim and they fit comfortable. I wear an 8D in some AE lasts but wear an 8E in others due to my foot width and instep. The Dalton didn’t work in 8D due to lack of room in the toe area. My First Ave (201 last) boots in 8E fit well (if a bit roomy). Which last is most likely to fit me? I’ve been staring at several in the Forest last, are they likely to fit me in 8D?

Contingency Plan

Reaction score
I've just bought Forest loafers in UK 10, and there's way too much room in the heel (toes/ball/instep are fine).

I wear UK 10 in C&J 325 (a little too tight in the toe, and too wide at heel) and 363 (good fit all around).

Which Carmina last/size would suit me best for loafers?

Last edited:

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Looking into buying a pair of Carmina and have some sizing questions. First off, I’ve got a high instep. I wear 8D in vintage Florsheim and they fit comfortable. I wear an 8D in some AE lasts but wear an 8E in others due to my foot width and instep. The Dalton didn’t work in 8D due to lack of room in the toe area. My First Ave (201 last) boots in 8E fit well (if a bit roomy). Which last is most likely to fit me? I’ve been staring at several in the Forest last, are they likely to fit me in 8D?
The 201 is pretty generous. If you said that an 8D in the 201 fit you well, I’d say Forest in 7 UK would be a slam dunk (Robert and Oscar would likely work as well).
Soller in 7UK would be pretty close to your 8E 1st Aves, though the Carminas in Soller may be a touch longer.

Welty

Reaction score
I recently ordered a pair of RAIN Chelseas size 10.5UK - now, don't ask me why I went 10.5 as I'm usually a UK10 - but that's by the by now! The boots are too loose with significant heel slip and I'm in two minds whether I should go the 10 or the 9.5. I don't have a lot of experience with Chelsea boots but if I push my foot forwards in the boot I can fit my full finger between my heel and the boot, is thsi an indication I should go a full size down? I'm leaning more towards a 9.5, but I'm REALLY not sure, especially as most advice I can find says that the RAIN is tts. Can anyone help put my mind at ease? FYI I'm a US11 in AE Williamsburg, US11 in Thursday and US12 in most Nike runners.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score

I have a high instep too and my sizing thought process is like yours. For AE, I am a 10D for derbies and 10E for oxfords, so that the laces can close correctly. The E typically gives me a smidge too much room around the ball of the foot, but that's okay. I even had the same problem with the Dalton (a few days with a stretcher gave me the space I needed).

For Carmina, you might have some more flexibility with derbies, but with oxfords, I've found most of their lasts to have too low an instep, Forest included; some of them I can't even get my foot into (Buger, Simpson, Inca). The most reliable one for guys like us is Rain; I wear it in UK9 and have found that it has a TTS ball, with an instep comparable to what I get in the 10E for my Strands, McAllister, etc., and a heel that's a bit snugger than my AEs. Carmina calls their medium width "EE" which means the same as D in the US.

EUtroll

Reaction score
Stay away from the Forest last, it's so low in my experience. The best lasts have for me proven to be the Detroit and Llubi lasts.

Jeddie

Reaction score
Hey, can i please see pictures of Simpson last in Shell?

Also, I've heard sizing differs from calf to shell. Can anyone with Simpson last in both leathers confirm this?

Bigwebb

Reaction score
Anyone wearing a 14US that has experience between inca and rain lasts? I wear a 14US, and need a little extra room in the toe box, but any time I go with a "wide" shoe size, there is typically too much play in the heel. I think my heel is average to possibly even narrowish.

Anyone in Denver, by some off chance, have any in 14us/13uk that I could take a look at?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads