• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

soto_nw

Reaction score
to my eye, both look too large for you based on these pics. Interesting to hear you sized up for Simpson when based on your description above you Could probably have stayed on an 8.

you don’t HAVE to close the facing on an Oxford, it’s not a competition ;) and a 1cm gap at the top to secure a better fit elsewhere is absolutely the better choice

I’d suggest trying half size down on the Simpson and letting your toes stretch out the front a little.

or look at the Artista line from TLB mallorca which are lower in volume

Funny enough I went with the SIMPSON first because I was able to try it on in multiple sizes at a Barneys (seems like ages ago now since it was almost a full year before they went under).

I could squeeze my foot into 8 UK SIMPSON, but as a new shoe the facing gaped, like a lot. It was kind of hard to tie them, and it was a bit painful to have the facings at anything less than 2 cm. It was also hard to tell if my toes would feel comfortable over time. Since then I have moved to socks that are about 1 mm thinner, so that might have changed things, but don't want to deal with the return process. However, based on my overall foot, I don't know that the rest of my foot will necessarily be comfortable in an 8 UK Simpson.

To add more background to it all, my Brannock sizing is 9.5 D US almost all around (really closer to 9.25 D in width). Got sized at an AE once and they said go with a 9.5 in 65 Last, but that creases worse than the Carmina RAIN (has a lot of room over the vamp). I tried a 9 D US in the 65 Last (pre-owned) and that fit my foot so much better (almost doesn't crease at all). Can't lace it up any tighter than 1.3 cm, but as you said it's not a competition (and frankly even the 9.5 D AEs
don't lace tighter than 1.1 cm).

Should also add, that at least for the SIMPSON Model, the creasing looks worse in the picture than it does in person. As I look at it in person, the worst of the creasing appears to be where the cap toe line would be. The vamp actually doesn't look too bad, and I suspect with more pieces there will be less flex points (as it is my experience that plain toe shoes and oxfords crease a lot because they're cut with extra room).

Funny enough, the next pair of shoes I plan to buy are TLB Mallorca Artista Suede, on the Goya in size 8 UK. But the next two pairs of shoes I plan on buying are a balmoral style boot with rubber soles (for the rain, for whenever I'm back at work with a suit) and another Carmina shoe - don't know what order yet.

Thank you @shrink1061 for the feedback. At a minimum you're helping me lean towards SIMPSON...and giving me second thoughts about going up a half size....the really scary part is figuring out my size in G&G and EG.

Recently ordered a pair of G&G from a store in SF. I plan on returning them, and bought them purely to see my size, for future reference. Got the Sinatra TG73 Last in 8.5 UK, we'll see how that goes.

Last edited:

soto_nw

Reaction score
G&G is easy. Take your size in any standard UK shoe (Cheaney, crockett, loake, alfred Sargent, churchs) and add half a size. Job done

I guess the issue is that I've not worn an English shoe before.

I own

3 Allen Edmonds (the two I mentioned earlier and one more in 9 US in a different last - though don't think I'm buying AE ever again, just not my style and have found other shoes a bit more comfortable)

1 Meermin 8 UK in the Elton Last (doesn't really crease much, though I suspect that's because the leather is stiffer and stiffer leather tends not to fold and crease as much)

3 Cobbler Union 8 UK (2 in the Louvre last, a whole cut and a derby, and 1 in the City Last, a cap toe oxford - creases the most - Louvre Last fits better...but will likely try their new lasts at some point)

5 J Fitzpatrick 8 UK (2 boots in the NGT last, probably the most snug around the toes but still comfortable; 1 loafer in TMG last in 8 UK - very comfortable; 1 loafer in LPB Last - roomy, but unsure if I can go a half size down; 1 whole cut in the LPB Last - just a little roomier than my Carmina Rain, but the creases are less severe over the vamp and the shoe fits closer to my foot)

2 Carmina we've been talking about where the Simpson 8.5 UK probably fits best, I don't think the creasing is too bad on the Rain 8 UK, but it is noticeable enough that there is extra volume.

***Though I did try on two pair of Crockett and Jones Hallam (which I believe are 348 Last) at Barneys once. They did not have 8 UK in E width, but I tried on 8.5 UK in E and that fit fine maybe a little roomy, and facings were practically touching (a general no-go for me on a new pair since the shoe will stretch). 8.5 UK in D width were also fine (in fact maybe only fit a bit more snug), and facings had noticeably more room. When I reached out to them last December about it, they said I'd probably be an 8 UK in E width given that description.....all that to say, maybe 8.5 UK G&G will be the sweet spot.

Last edited:

shrink1061

Reaction score
I guess the issue is that I've not worn an English shoe before.

I own

3 Allen Edmonds (the two I mentioned earlier and one more in 9 UK in a different last - though don't think I'm buying AE ever again, just not my style and have found other shoes a bit more comfortable)

1 Meermin 8 UK in the Elton Last (doesn't really crease much, though I suspect that's because the leather is stiffer and stiffer leather tends not to fold and crease as much)

3 Cobbler Union 8 UK (2 in the Louvre last, a whole cut and a derby, and 1 in the City Last, a cap toe oxford - creases the most - Louvre Last fits better...but will likely try their new lasts at some point)

5 J Fitzpatrick 8 UK (2 boots in the NGT last, probably the most snug around the toes but still comfortable; 1 loafer in TMG last in 8 UK - very comfortable; 1 loafer in LPB Last - roomy, but unsure if I can go a half size down; 1 whole cut in the LPB Last - just a little roomier than my Carmina Rain, but the creases are less severe over the vamp and the shoe fits closer to my foot)

2 Carmina we've been talking about where the Simpson 8.5 UK probably fits best, I don't think the creasing is too bad on the Rain 8 UK, but it is noticeable enough that there is extra volume.

***Though I did try on two pair of Crockett and Jones Hallam (which I believe are 348 Last) at Barneys once. They did not have 8 UK in E width, but I tried on 8.5 UK in E and that fit fine maybe a little roomy, and facings were practically touching (a general no-go for me on a new pair since the shoe will stretch). 8.5 UK in D width were also fine (in fact maybe only fit a bit more snug), and facings had noticeably more room. When I reached out to them last December about it, they said I'd probably be an 8 UK in E width given that description.....all that to say, maybe 8.5 UK G&G will be the sweet spot.

I’d agree. 8.5 sounds like what you need

soto_nw

Reaction score
@shrink1061 now just to figure out what my next Carmina is. Hoping for more feedback from the pics I posted, but leaning towards SIMPSON Last (love the Burgundy cap toe). Probably sticking to 8.5 UK.

Concerned that with an 8 UK even though the shoe might fit closer, that it might be tighter on the toes - combo of thinner and shorter shoe shifting the widest point down a bit - and right now the ball of the foot fits just about perfect at 8.5 UK...though again your words and the words of others might give me some food for thought.

AVG

Reaction score
Dear all,

I am writing to you in search of some help. Taking advantage of the current MTO weekend I would like to acquire a pair of new boots (in attachment a picture), but I am hesitating about the last/size to order.

In principle I am a 9uk in the Rain, but this Rain last is relatively snug for me so I was thinking about doing the boots in the Forest or Robert. Any experience with these lasts sizing? Any suggestion on which one is more beautiful/confortable for the kind of boot that I have in mind? (In case that this may be of help, I'm a 9.5-10D in GrantStone, a 44 in Superga and a 43 in CP Achilles).

Thank you in advance. Best wishes,

AVG

080791_custom_l_s.jpg

Last edited:

ElectricSpud

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First of all sorry me for my language.

So, I'm seriously searching my first pair of Carmina boot (Rain): https://www.carminashoemaker.com/wholecut-boots-black-boxcalf-80518
It would be my first pair of Carmina and I've no any chance to try it on my small town.

I took measurments and here we go (please see att-t). I think that I have wide foot and Rain will be fine for me

As you think gentlemens, size 7UK will be the best choice for me? Or should think about 7.5UK? Thank you.

Attachments

• foot-measuring-544d22a.jpg
    foot-measuring-544d22a.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 2,608

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross posting in case any regular readers of this thread can help

I'm considering a couple of purchases and wouldn't mind a little sizing help.

I've currently got 2 pairs of Carmina, both loafers, and I was sized for them at the Barcelona shop (on holiday, not an option in general)

I have the Uetam last in (UK) size 8 and the Forest last in size 7.5. The 7.5 are snug, which is fine in a loafer, but I wouldn't mind a touch more room widthways in the forefoot, especially as I'm considering a boot, but I think 8 in Forest would be too big (it was in loafers), and Rain looks like a good option.

Can I ask for other's experience in this? For a bit more context I'm size 8-8.5 in Edward Green (the 8s can be snug), 7.5 in Trickers Bourton and a consistent 8 in Cheaney, Church's and C&J.

Thanks!

dlf1981

Reaction score
I'm trying to suss out sizing for several models:
Rain in lizard
Inca, Forest, and Rain in shell

I spoke to folks at Carmina and got somewhat mixed opinions, the wrench in the equation being size variances on the lasts for both unlined and shell materials.

Here's some of my sizing for reference:

Meermin RON 11.5 medium
Tricker's Bourton 10.5
Tricker's Stow 11
Carmina Xim UNLINED 10.5
Carmina Simpson 11.5
Alden Grant 11.5

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I can help, but I will give it a go - do bear in mind, of course, that everyone's feet are different.

I take a UK9 in most shoes and lasts, including everything from Carmina (Forest, Robert, Detroit, Oscar) *except* the Rain last - although I only have Rain in calf, rather than shell. I need to go up half-a-size for Rain, to a UK9.5. I have never tried the Simpson last, but I suspect that it would not fit me well.

I also take a UK9 in Meermin's RON last, and a UK9 in Tricker's.

dlf1981

Reaction score
Interesting ! That’s the opposite advice I received on rain from someone else. Guess it goes to show how individual it all is. Thanks

Treader

Reaction score
I just had the opportunity to try on some Carminas in store. I have wide feet (I wear 8EEE on the 65 last in Allen Edmonds) so almost none of the regular lasts fit me, except for Forest 7.5EEE. It was snug, but not tight, and I could tell that they would fit perfectly once the sole settles. It's a reasonably generous last. The Rain 7.5EEE was okay but not great - more tight than comfortably snug, and I'm not sure if they would break in well for me. They didn't gave Detroit EEE in stock so I couldn't try it.

Nbarbar

Reaction score
Unlined Carmina loafers. Do you guys size down or buy your standard Carmina size?

dlf1981

Reaction score
Down by half. Carminas guidance is down by half for shell or for unlined , in all lasts. I wear the same size in rain shell as in xim unlined.

American_Psycho11

Reaction score
Looking at the Genova last. I have loafers on their Xim and they're too big for my by a hair. I converted my US size to UK and got that one, should have done 1/2 down from UK.
Is the Genova last similar in sizing? Their models appear to be very similar, with Xim being for blake stiched shoes and Genova for GYW.
Anyone have experience with them?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads