• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

serbarristan

Reaction score
I have no idea what most people do - would need data to assess.

In my experience, most Carmina lasts are true to length. Carmina tends to have higher volume that Allen Edmonds, and I would put Oscar in the lower middle of their range. If you go back a page or two on this thread, I made pictures of my fit assessments, and I can't really add anything to what I already posted. I also included fit ranges.

Compared to Rain, Oscar will be about the same length, have more room for your pinky toe, have a somewhat lower instep, and a smaller heel. I would go same size as Rain based on what you posted (but note, I can't wear Rain at all because of the toe box). A half size down would only be something I'd consider with Soller, or an EEE last.
Thank you, I really appreciate the help!

CasuallyWorked

Reaction score
I am a US size 7D on the brannock device. I wear 6.5D Alden Trubalance, 6.0E Alden Barrie, 7.0E Alden Leydon, 6.5 Viberg 2030, 6.5D Grant Stone Leo Last, Common Projects Achilles Low EU 39, Maison Margiela Gats EU40.

Should I go for a size 6.0UK in the rain last? Thank you for any advice!!

American_Psycho11

Reaction score
About to pull the trigger on my first pair of Carminas, the unlined penny loafer on the Sineu last. Anyone have any experience with sizing it? Their site describes it as something in the middle of the Rain and Forest lasts.
How would you recommend sizing those lasts? Half size down? I'm an 8.5D US size on a Brannock

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you please let me know if most go TTS with Oscar?

Giving sizing advice on the internet is always risky.

However, in my experience, I usually take a UK9/US10 in most brands and this includes Carmina's Oscar last. However, with the Rain last, I go up half a size, to a UK9.5 (which would probably equal a US10.5).

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out sizing for the Inca and Simpson last. I am thinking UK 10. If there is anyone else who is a UK 10 in either one of these lasts can you tell me your foot length and width, and how you measured it so I can compare?

tobiasfunke19

Reaction score
@madhat

What is the best last and size recommendation for my feet. I have narrow heels but wide (in surface area not volume) forefoot I wear the following:

Quoddy: 8EEE
Alden Barrie: 8E (pinches my pinky)

@madhat may be able to help. If I had to guess, I'd start with Llubi, but I have low confidence in that answer.

Ken McGregor

Reaction score
I have an extra wide foot, I wear US 11.5 EE from AE and they fit perfectly. The dimensions of my feet are 28.5×11.3cm, so I don't know if I can get a pair of Carmina's to fit. I emailed them repeatedly, but they just told me to order them and see what happens, worse they told me the width of a UK 10 Rain EEE last was 10.2cm which is nowhere close. Can anyone please help me with this? Thanks a lot.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
I have an extra wide foot, I wear US 11.5 EE from AE and they fit perfectly. The dimensions of my feet are 28.5×11.3cm, so I don't know if I can get a pair of Carmina's to fit. I emailed them repeatedly, but they just told me to order them and see what happens, worse they told me the width of a UK 10 Rain EEE last was 10.2cm which is nowhere close. Can anyone please help me with this? Thanks a lot.

I don't know what EE feels like for AE but for your reference, I wear an 10E width in Park Ave, Strand, etc. and UK 9 in regular Rain (what they call EE) feels quite good for me. I tried a UK 9EEE Rain for funzos and it was loose. So for you maybe UK10.5EEE would be a start?

Goofy

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen, I’d greatly appreciate your advice.

I have read this entire thread.

I’m considering the cordovan 905 chukka boots on the Simpson last.

The general consensus is to go up half a size of ones regular UK size. However some still swear that regular size is the perfect fit.

Regarding the Simpson last, the carmina website states that customers tend to go up half a size to compensate for its narrowness. However in a Kirby Allison YouTube interview with the owner of Carmina, the owner pointed out that compared to bovine leather shoes all cordovan shoes are constructed roomier in order to compensate for their toughness and lack of flexibility. Carmina even advice going down half a size to compensate when considering shell cordovan shoes.

I have seen little discussion on cordovan vs more flexible types of leather when it comes to sizing. Perhaps this in part could explain the discrepancies when it comes to experiences with the Simpson last?

I’d greatly appreciate input from people whom own this particular chukka boot or any other model constructed on the Simpson last in cordovan leather. Did you stick with your regular size or did you opt for half a size larger; and if experienced with both which one do you prefer?

Apologies for the long post and thank you in advance for your assistance.

Last edited:

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello gentlemen, I’d greatly appreciate your advice.

I have read this entire thread.

I’m considering the cordovan 905 chukka boots on the Simpson last.

The general consensus is to go up half a size of ones regular UK size. However some still swear that regular size is the perfect fit.

Regarding the Simpson last, the carmina website states that customers tend to go up half a size to compensate for its narrowness. However in a Kirby Allison YouTube interview with the owner of Carmina, the owner pointed out that compared to bovine leather shoes all cordovan shoes are constructed roomier in order to compensate for their toughness and lack of flexibility. Carmina even advice going down half a size to compensate when considering shell cordovan shoes.

I have seen little discussion on cordovan vs more flexible types of leather when it comes to sizing. Perhaps this in part could explain the discrepancies when it comes to experiences with the Simpson last?

I’d greatly appreciate input from people whom own this particular chukka boot or any other model constructed on the Simpson last in cordovan leather. Did you stick with your regular size or did you opt for half a size larger; and if experienced with both which one do you prefer?

Apologies for the long post and thank you in advance for your assistance.

If you have read this entire thread, you may have seen my post below. If you'd like more help than that, please post a few examples of what does work well for you in other well-known makers.
I would not change size based on shell/calf. If one is borderline, it may make the other work or not. The AE 65 last is just a touch tight for me in calf, and is perfect in shell. I definitely wouldn't change sizes though.

I can't recall if I posted this here or on the main Carmina thread, but if not here is my experience with Carmina last size.

For reference, I'm an 11D US, with narrow heels, low volume overall, and need a decent amount of room in the toebox. I own a lot of Carmina shoes, covering at least 7 lasts; typically I'm 10UK in Carmina, but style and last make a big difference. The comparisons below all assume the same size for comparison.

Carmina Instep Comparison.JPG

Note that "highest" and "lowest" on instep refer to total volume (3D), not just height (2D).

Carmina Toebox Comparison.JPG

Carmina Heel Comparison.JPG

The last is my attempt to group lasts by "families" of size. I wouldn't be shocked if someone wore the same size in Simpson and Oscar, or Oscar and Soller, but Simpson to Soller is a pretty big leap. Yellow boxes represent near neighbors in size, while blue boxes represent the likely range for most (but not as close as the yellow boxes).

Carmina Fit Spectrum.JPG

Feel free to critique/correct. I limited the the lasts I thought I could talk to from experience. Of note, I don't own anything in Rain but have tried it on enough to know that it likely doesn't work for me, and why.

Goofy

Reaction score
Jet-stream, thanks for your reply.

I have taken note of your post. My problem is that I lack any point of reference given I don’t own any carmina shoe, nor do I own any American manufactured shoe for that matter.

My left foot is slightly larger and I have an average instep.

For reference I own:
C&J 348 Lowndes UK 7E (which is most comparable to the Simpson last.) Snug fit and fully tightening the monks trap closest to my ankle feels uncomfortable given the tip of the tongue then digs into my ankle.
C&J 325 Grasmere UK 7E Fits like a glove.
C&J 325 Chelsea XI UK 7E Fits perfectly.
Personally I prefer my shoes with a slight bit of room rather than a tight fit.

Thank you.

Last edited:

gld edmond

Reaction score
A sizing question for the Rain last, I wear size 8 U.S., and have a somewhat low instep, I am wondering if going down to a 6.5 would work, or do these generally run normal, a size 7 in my case?

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A sizing question for the Rain last, I wear size 8 U.S., and have a somewhat low instep, I am wondering if going down to a 6.5 would work, or do these generally run normal, a size 7 in my case?
I have a low instep and found rain to be too big for me. I also have narrow heels and low volume which does not help. I am usually US 11 and got UK 10. They were too big. I don't know what a UK 9.5 would be like.

VulpesVulpes

Reaction score
I am considering getting a pair of loafers from Carmina and am unsure of what size would be the best for me. My feet have a low volume and a fairly low instep. I am a 7uk on their Simpson last but since it fits me so well I haven't tried any of their other lasts. I am interested by loafers on the
Uetam and Forest lasts, should I go a half size down compared to my pairs in Simpson (all Oxfords)?

As a point of reference I am a
7Uk on Meermin Hiro
6,5Uk Jfitzpatrick NGT
6,5Uk Aubercy A7
6,5 Uk Carlos Santos 316 (too roomy could have gone for a 6)

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uetam is a bit rounder and shorter than Simpson - I have never bought a pair in it because I couldn't try it in 10.5. I am 10 in Simpson have a ton of pairs in it, but 10 in Uetam sat on my little toe or next to last

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads