• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't recall if I posted this here or on the main Carmina thread, but if not here is my experience with Carmina last size.

For reference, I'm an 11D US, with narrow heels, low volume overall, and need a decent amount of room in the toebox. I own a lot of Carmina shoes, covering at least 7 lasts; typically I'm 10UK in Carmina, but style and last make a big difference. The comparisons below all assume the same size for comparison.

Carmina Instep Comparison.JPG

Note that "highest" and "lowest" on instep refer to total volume (3D), not just height (2D).

Carmina Toebox Comparison.JPG

Carmina Heel Comparison.JPG

The last is my attempt to group lasts by "families" of size. I wouldn't be shocked if someone wore the same size in Simpson and Oscar, or Oscar and Soller, but Simpson to Soller is a pretty big leap. Yellow boxes represent near neighbors in size, while blue boxes represent the likely range for most (but not as close as the yellow boxes).

Carmina Fit Spectrum.JPG

Feel free to critique/correct. I limited the the lasts I thought I could talk to from experience. Of note, I don't own anything in Rain but have tried it on enough to know that it likely doesn't work for me, and why.
Wow I think we have the same feet. "11D US, with narrow heels, low volume overall, and need a decent amount of room in the toebox" What lasts do you find to be the best fit for you personally?

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow I think we have the same feet. "11D US, with narrow heels, low volume overall, and need a decent amount of room in the toebox" What lasts do you find to be the best fit for you personally?

1. Simpson - perfect fit, better than anything in AE (and the 65 is pretty good for me).
2. Uetam - very good, but a tiny tight in the toes. Not a problem with suede etc, fine after break-in.
3. Alcudia - very good all around, but can be a little loose in the throat.
4. Oscar - open-laced boots only, but a good fit and lower instep than most Carmina lasts.

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Simpson - perfect fit, better than anything in AE (and the 65 is pretty good for me).
2. Uetam - very good, but a tiny tight in the toes. Not a problem with suede etc, fine after break-in.
4. Oscar - open-laced boots only, but a good fit and lower instep than most Carmina lasts.
You have convinced me to give Simpson & uteam last a try. I am 9.5D US & 9D US on AE park avenue. 9.5D is very comfortable 9D is snugg. I am 8.5uk on every maker gg, EG, Saintcrispins etc. Will give 8.5uk Simpson a try, would you also recommend 8.5uk uteam suede loafer also? Or size down to 8uk. My feet are low volume & narrow heel. To give you an example I can wear gg, EG, Saintcrispin all last narrow width 8.5uk also & regular.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have convinced me to give Simpson & uteam last a try. I am 9.5D US & 9D US on AE park avenue. 9.5D is very comfortable 9D is snugg. I am 8.5uk on every maker gg, EG, Saintcrispins etc. Will give 8.5uk Simpson a try, would you also recommend 8.5uk uteam suede loafer also? Or size down to 8uk. My feet are low volume & narrow heel. To give you an example I can wear gg, EG, Saintcrispin all last narrow width 8.5uk also & regular.

I think it depends on “comfortable” vs “snug” on the 65. You certainly want a good fit for a loafer. If you could wear a 65 loafer in 9.5D, I would go 8.5D Uetam. Uetam and Simpson are fairly close in fit.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok an just to make sure. All those are UK size 10?

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok an just to make sure. All those are UK size 10?
Yes, all 10 UK.

I can’t make Rain work, but If I removed my pinky toes I would probably be 9.5 in Rain. I need to try Soller in 9.5; I suspect it may be a very good fit for me.
If your feet are indeed like mine, avoid Rain.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, all 10 UK.

I can’t make Rain work, but If I removed my pinky toes I would probably be 9.5 in Rain. I need to try Soller in 9.5; I suspect it may be a very good fit for me.
If your feet are indeed like mine, avoid Rain.
I have tried Rain and it does not work, so I think we are definitely on the same page. I was gonna try rain in size 9.5 but now I am not gonna even waste my time. Thank you!

freshstyle

Reaction score
Can I get help on the Oscar last (Shell Jumper boots)

Here are my sizes:

Allen Edmonds 65 last: 8.5D (a bit roomy in the toes, but 8D would probably be too small)
Carmina Rain: 7uk (a bit snug in the toes, but has heel slip)
Carmina Inca: 7uk (good fit)
Meermin Rui: 7.5uk (a bit roomy in the toes, but 7uk would probably be too small)

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I get help on the Oscar last (Shell Jumper boots)

Here are my sizes:

Allen Edmonds 65 last: 8.5D (a bit roomy in the toes, but 8D would probably be too small)
Carmina Rain: 7uk (a bit snug in the toes, but has heel slip)
Carmina Inca: 7uk (good fit)
Meermin Rui: 7.5uk (a bit roomy in the toes, but 7uk would probably be too small)

Is the length on Inca OK?
If yes, go 7UK for Oscar. That will give you more room in the toes, a slightly lower instep, and a heel just a tiny bit smaller than Inca.

Aaron26195

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am going slightly insane and would love some help. I have recently ordered some MTO cordovan oxfords whilst the sale was on last weekend. I have never ordered from Carmina before so this was a big risk with sizing and the lasts. I decided to order two ready to wear pairs to ascertain my size before it was too late to make changes to the MTO pair. When they came it just confused me even more. I ordered a Rain last in a size 9UK, and an Inca last also in 9UK.

The Inca for the most part is fine, but the heel is way too wide which causes my foot to slip out.
The Rain pinches one of my feet at the widest point. The other, slightly smaller foot, fits absolutely fine. Heel again is on the wide side.

I'd like to know if I have an issue here with size, or with the particular lasts I chose to try. I don't have a lot to compare to unfortunately in terms of size. I have C&J Islay (last 365) in UK 9 which has a roomy, but comfortable fit, and two pairs of Grenson Dylan in UK 9 (last 204) which fit perfectly.

I was thinking of just going for a UK 9.5 in the Forest last based on my research from this thread and hoping this fits my foot better. Is this enough information for any advice?

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am going slightly insane and would love some help. I have recently ordered some MTO cordovan oxfords whilst the sale was on last weekend. I have never ordered from Carmina before so this was a big risk with sizing and the lasts. I decided to order two ready to wear pairs to ascertain my size before it was too late to make changes to the MTO pair. When they came it just confused me even more. I ordered a Rain last in a size 9UK, and an Inca last also in 9UK.

The Inca for the most part is fine, but the heel is way too wide which causes my foot to slip out.
The Rain pinches one of my feet at the widest point. The other, slightly smaller foot, fits absolutely fine. Heel again is on the wide side.

I'd like to know if I have an issue here with size, or with the particular lasts I chose to try. I don't have a lot to compare to unfortunately in terms of size. I have C&J Islay (last 365) in UK 9 which has a roomy, but comfortable fit, and two pairs of Grenson Dylan in UK 9 (last 204) which fit perfectly.

I was thinking of just going for a UK 9.5 in the Forest last based on my research from this thread and hoping this fits my foot better. Is this enough information for any advice?
GO a page or two back and look at the chart that compares the lasts by size in the Toebox, instep and heel. I also have trouble with the rain it is not for everybody. If the heel is that big on both I would try a narrower last like Simpson, or go down a half size and get a last with a wider toebox like oscar.

tobiasfunke19

Reaction score
Hi

What is the best last and size recommendation for my feet. I have narrow heels but wide (in surface area not volume) forefoot I wear the following:

Quoddy: 8EEE
Alden Barrie: 8E (pinches my pinky)

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

What is the best last and size recommendation for my feet. I have narrow heels but wide (in surface area not volume) forefoot I wear the following:

Quoddy: 8EEE
Alden Barrie: 8E (pinches my pinky)

@madhat may be able to help. If I had to guess, I'd start with Llubi, but I have low confidence in that answer.

serbarristan

Reaction score
Is the length on Inca OK?
If yes, go 7UK for Oscar. That will give you more room in the toes, a slightly lower instep, and a heel just a tiny bit smaller than Inca.
Can you please let me know if most go TTS with Oscar? A shop had recommended sizing down half from Rain, but the pair I had briefly on Oscar was definitely on the very snug side. Narrow heel, low instep, wider forefoot (I wear a C in Alden due to their large heel cups, and they are comfortably snug in forefoot). Rain bluchers fit perfect in length TTS, just need to tie a bit tighter to make up for the extra heel and instep room. Oscar is what I’m leaning for the Calway but I’m concerned the half down advice wasn’t good.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you please let me know if most go TTS with Oscar? A shop had recommended sizing down half from Rain, but the pair I had briefly on Oscar was definitely on the very snug side. Narrow heel, low instep, wider forefoot (I wear a C in Alden due to their large heel cups, and they are comfortably snug in forefoot). Rain bluchers fit perfect in length TTS, just need to tie a bit tighter to make up for the extra heel and instep room. Oscar is what I’m leaning for the Calway but I’m concerned the half down advice wasn’t good.

I have no idea what most people do - would need data to assess.

In my experience, most Carmina lasts are true to length. Carmina tends to have higher volume that Allen Edmonds, and I would put Oscar in the lower middle of their range. If you go back a page or two on this thread, I made pictures of my fit assessments, and I can't really add anything to what I already posted. I also included fit ranges.

Compared to Rain, Oscar will be about the same length, have more room for your pinky toe, have a somewhat lower instep, and a smaller heel. I would go same size as Rain based on what you posted (but note, I can't wear Rain at all because of the toe box). A half size down would only be something I'd consider with Soller, or an EEE last.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads