• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bigwebb

Reaction score
I am 14D on the brannock, I recently tried on a pair of AE standard oxfords (I think 65 last?) and they put me at a 13EEE. I think he was just trying to squeeze me into a shoe that they had in the store. I tried on a pair of st johns monks in 14d, and while the heel was just about perfect, the toe box was too cramped and it was putting some pretty heavy pressure on my big toe as well as the inner part of my foot by the ball on that spot.

I also tried on some gravati monks in standard 14 and it was the same story... Heel was good, but toe box and balls were squeezed. I have a pair of stacy adams (don't judge) in 14E, and the toe and ball area have great width with no pressure, but the heel is too loose.

My foot is almost exactly 12" long from heel to end, and accrossed the widest part of the balls it's like 4.8-4.9 inches.

So I think I'm basically a 14E in the balls and toe box, but a standard to narrow 14 in the heel area. I am dying to have a set of killer monk straps, but I just don't know if my foot shape is suited for them. From reading through this thread it sounds like maybe a 13.5E or 13.5EE inca last in the carmina monk straps might hit me just right. What say yee?

Bigwebb

Reaction score
After reading most of this thread it actually seems like I may be more of a 13 rain last. Perhaps even a 12.5 rain for a double monk, all the way down from a 14 US. I’m about 4.75-4.8 inches from side to side at the front balls of my foot.

JoPoe

Reaction score
Gentlemen,
Can you offer me sizing advice for Carmina's Detroit last. For reference I am an 8 on the brannock device, a 7.5 in Alden's barrie last, and a 7uk in Crockett and Jones' 348. I spoke with a Carmina associate and they literally told me to use the size I typically use in dress shoes. Hmmm...that's a little vague.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you offer me sizing advice for Carmina's Detroit last.

I find the Detroit last to be quite generous. I take a UK9 in C&J's 348 last, and I also take a UK9 in Carmina's Detroit last.

There's more room in the Detroit last than in the 348 last.

JoPoe

Reaction score
Thank you, Journeyman.
That clear up my question, especially considering that the 348 last is snug but not uncomfortable in the toes

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help me with sizing for Inca and Simpson. My foot length is 11 1/8 inches. I have a low instep low volume foot, and D width on a brannock. I tried rain UK 10 and it was to big in the instep and heel. (I don't remember how it fit in the toes, but it was not toe tight for sure)

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 6ish pair in Simpson. I also found Rain comically large in the heel. I have never bought any Rain, but if I did I'd size down .5 on them versus Simpson

Jblaze36wv

Reaction score
I was under the impression that a U.K. size is half a size less than the US equivalent. For example, a size 11US would be equivalent to 10.5UK. Is that incorrect? I see most recommending a full size down in Carmina? I’m an 11D in Allen Edmonds 65 last and a 44.5 in Vass. Would the recommended size for me in Carmina’s rain last be 10E or 10.5E?
Thanks!

ErPupone4

Reaction score
I was under the impression that a U.K. size is half a size less than the US equivalent. For example, a size 11US would be equivalent to 10.5UK. Is that incorrect? I see most recommending a full size down in Carmina? I’m an 11D in Allen Edmonds 65 last and a 44.5 in Vass. Would the recommended size for me in Carmina’s rain last be 10E or 10.5E?
Thanks!
I size down a whole size in Carmina. If you're an 11D in AE, you will need a 10E most likely. I don't have much experience with AE, but that is the general consensus.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
I size down a whole size in Carmina. If you're an 11D in AE, you will need a 10E most likely. I don't have much experience with AE, but that is the general consensus.

I think Rain is a very difficult last to compare to, especially coming from AE. Honestly, Simpson in a 10E would be very close to 11D in AE; biggest difference is that Simpson would have a touch more room in the instep. If you have a massive lace gap in the 65, it's possible Rain in 10 would work. If you have a medium or low instep and don't need room for your pinky toes, 9.5 would probably be a better guess.

Bona fides:I have a lot of shoes, pretty much all of which are Carmina or AE, including at least a half-dozen each on the 65 and in Simpson. 11D US and 10UK, in fact.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't recall if I posted this here or on the main Carmina thread, but if not here is my experience with Carmina last size.

For reference, I'm an 11D US, with narrow heels, low volume overall, and need a decent amount of room in the toebox. I own a lot of Carmina shoes, covering at least 7 lasts; typically I'm 10UK in Carmina, but style and last make a big difference. The comparisons below all assume the same size for comparison.

Carmina Instep Comparison.JPG

Note that "highest" and "lowest" on instep refer to total volume (3D), not just height (2D).

Carmina Toebox Comparison.JPG

Carmina Heel Comparison.JPG

The last is my attempt to group lasts by "families" of size. I wouldn't be shocked if someone wore the same size in Simpson and Oscar, or Oscar and Soller, but Simpson to Soller is a pretty big leap. Yellow boxes represent near neighbors in size, while blue boxes represent the likely range for most (but not as close as the yellow boxes).

Carmina Fit Spectrum.JPG

Feel free to critique/correct. I limited the the lasts I thought I could talk to from experience. Of note, I don't own anything in Rain but have tried it on enough to know that it likely doesn't work for me, and why.

Jblaze36wv

Reaction score
I think Rain is a very difficult last to compare to, especially coming from AE. Honestly, Simpson in a 10E would be very close to 11D in AE; biggest difference is that Simpson would have a touch more room in the instep. If you have a massive lace gap in the 65, it's possible Rain in 10 would work. If you have a medium or low instep and don't need room for your pinky toes, 9.5 would probably be a better guess.

Bona fides:I have a lot of shoes, pretty much all of which are Carmina or AE, including at least a half-dozen each on the 65 and in Simpson. 11D US and 10UK, in fact.
Wow very helpful thanks! I appreciate the two posts.

ErPupone4

Reaction score
Thanks @jet-stream

@Jblaze36wv I would go with jet stream's advice since he has AE's to compare with. I've only tried on in store, the lasts were never to my liking. Best of luck, Carmina’s are fantastic and also a slippery slope ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads