1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Carmina Sizing Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Lindrian

Lindrian Member

How is the length and instep of Simpson vs Rain?

2. galileo

galileo Senior Member

Simpson is near perfect for low instep with low vamp, but elongated.

Rain is much normal fitting.

3. Lindrian

Lindrian Member

Thanks, in that case Simpson will be perfect for me.

I have a shoe in Rain, which fits good on my left but so-so on my right where I have a lower instep and smaller heel.

My problem though is that my right foot is longer (9.5 on right, 9 on left). I have rain in 9 which is a little bit annoying for my big toe on the right foot, but if simpson is elongated that might work out just fine.

4. galileo

galileo Senior Member

I got pair of Simpson in 7 and tried Rain in 6.5. Simpson in terms of fit is best for me of all RTW.

And I got slightly pronated, wide ball narrow heel & slim feet.

IMG_4283.JPG

5. Lindrian

Lindrian Member

Looks promising. Hows the length of Simpson in comparison to Rain? Are they the same length, just a bit more narrow?

6. galileo

galileo Senior Member

Afair Simpson is longer at the toe tip.

7. SilverFoxESQ

SilverFoxESQ Member

Thanks @Shawl Lapel; now I just have to stop looking at Carmina's website at work!:brick:

8. bt61184

bt61184 Senior Member

Just adding my 2 cents since this forum helped me out with sizing. Just got in my Rain 11UK. I am approx 11.5EE (a guess since there is no EE width in AE) AE65 and 1943 lasts. However, this is likely due to store being out of 12E or 12 D in the Corvallis and St Johns (odd I know). Carmina told me to get a 10.5UK but I suspect they didn't consider my EE width so I sized up to 11UK in Carmina and the width was very good and just a hair wide with very thin dress socks. My widest part of actual foot is 106-107mm. With the middle hole on the monk strap, my fit is perfect on left and very very slightly loose with very small heel slip on right. As it stretches, I will probably go to the 3rd hole on the strap. This is all in the middle of winter so when my feet swell in 100F of summer, they should fit very nicely. Very nice leather, no break-in period compared to Magnanni Gaumet which were so painful for a week.

Thanks SF for the help!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 9:48 AM

9. circumspice

circumspice Senior Member

Not to completely chum the waters:

Simpson is a remarkably good fitting last for me, but my black calf captoes chewed up the top of my left toe on a recent trip.

I am in tech, so the only time I am in suits are funerals and when I am playing salaryman in Japan. Therefore, my captoe Simpsons have the least wear on them.

I am such a Simpson guy I have 2 identical pairs of brown suede 10082 loafers, a pair in navy suede. I have 2 pair of Simpson suede austerity brogues, and I wouldn't be lying if I weren't thinking about the polo suede iteration on sale currently... I really don't have this problem on those models.

Anyhow, despite owning these captoes for probably 3 or 4 years, I cannot say if the issue was:

sock just hitting funny
    not enough break in
    this pair made up tighter for whatever reason at the factory
    Simpson in captoe will fundamentally bend differently in a problematic fashion

I have never purchased Rain, but I think Rain wears incredibly long - I would need to go UK 9.5

I say Rain is long because:

Simpson and Detroit 10 UK. Uetam 10 wears too short, never purchased, unable to try 10.5
    EG 10.5 D width preferred, E is OK
    G&G - some 10.5, some 10

So needing a 9.5 versus the above implies to me it is long