• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mikeharo

Reaction score
Hi folks. I'm going to order a rain last shoe and am looking for some advice.

Brannock = 8.5D US
Forest = 7.5UK
Barrie = 8D US
CJ 325 = 8 US

Any insight on rain last would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi folks. I'm going to order a rain last shoe and am looking for some advice.

Brannock = 8.5D US
Forest = 7.5UK
Barrie = 8D US
CJ 325 = 8 US

Any insight on rain last would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

I would take same size as your forest for rain last which is 7.5UK that's what I take also

ScofieldReturns

Reaction score
shoot, got a pair of shoes in alcudia 6.5 (7.5US my normal size) and they fit but are quite a bit tight over the top. Can a shoe stretching fix that? or am i better off just selling them

hiver

Reaction score
Question - does anyone know if the Simpson last is more narrow in the heel and midfoot than the loafer last Uetam? Or is it mostly in the toe box

I have very narrow feet and low arches, and just recieved my first Carminas, a pair of brown string loafers. (Uetam)

They fit quite well, a little cramped in the toes, but I think thats ok since they are suede loafers and should expand a little.

The challenge is the heel, loafer sits ok,, but not very tight as I prefer it. I am tempted to try the Simpson based Penny loafer that Carmina makes instead. (Although it means missing the string adjustment)

Has anyone tried both for comparison?

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't wear Uetam in my normal size because it hits my 4th or 5th toe. Whereas Simpson is probably my best fitting last - I have 2 loafers and 3 oxfords in it. I haven't been able to try sizing up on Uetam.

Maaasih

Reaction score
Sorry I am posting again, but I remeasured my foot and I am a US 10.5E per Brannock (not 10.5D as previously mentioned). Would a 9.5UK Simpson last fit me? If not, what size would I be in a Rain or Inca last?

Also, I know this doesn't belong in this thread, but how does the Simpson last compare to the Rain or Inca? I know the Simpson is narrower but as far as the looks of the shoe itself, do the Rain and Inca lasts look a lot wider?

sleepyinsanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry I am posting again, but I remeasured my foot and I am a US 10.5E per Brannock (not 10.5D as previously mentioned). Would a 9.5UK Simpson last fit me? If not, what size would I be in a Rain or Inca last?

Also, I know this doesn't belong in this thread, but how does the Simpson last compare to the Rain or Inca? I know the Simpson is narrower but as far as the looks of the shoe itself, do the Rain and Inca lasts look a lot wider?

The brannock only meaures width and not girth. The simpson last has a low volume instep area. most people go half size down from their brannock for the Simpson last, and (comfortably) a full size down from brannock for rain... but the main difference (among others) between the lasts is that the rain is meant for someone with a high arch/instep area, and the simpson, teh opposite.

Last edited:

enyn90

Reaction score
hi, i would like to have some help here:

I'm going to order a Rain last derby; I have a Meermin Hiro last oxford size 10UK, and i can squeeze in a finger behind the heel (some slipping), so should i size down to 9.5UK for Carmina Rain last?

Additionally, anyone have any experience with Loake 1880 sizing, should I size down for Aldywch to 9.5UK as well.

Thanks a dozen!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

urban

Reaction score
hi, i would like to have some help here:

I'm going to order a Rain last derby; I have a Meermin Hiro last oxford size 10UK, and i can squeeze in a finger behind the heel (some slipping), so should i size down to 9.5UK for Carmina Rain last?

Additionally, anyone have any experience with Loake 1880 sizing, should I size down for Aldywch to 9.5UK as well.

Thanks a dozen!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Not sure if this helps.
I have Rain shoes in UK9 and a pair of Meermin Hiro BOOTS in UK10.
The Hiro fits me better. But i am not sure if it is because it is a pair of boots.

hiver

Reaction score

I can't wear Uetam in my normal size because it hits my 4th or 5th toe. Whereas Simpson is probably my best fitting last - I have 2 loafers and 3 oxfords in it. I haven't been able to try sizing up on Uetam.

Thats helpful, thanks. Do you wear the same size simpson in loafer and oxford? Also, is the second loafer a GMTO? (Since they only offer one simpson loafer now, I mean)

Last edited:

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, same size. The loafers are the 10082, Armoury stocks them

Patent-Troll

Reaction score
Good evening. I want to buy some Carminas shoes (Robert or Forest last if possible) but I am not sure about the size:

I have some Carminas shoes already:

7UK Oxfords in suede on the Rain last - a bit to wide and too high instep, a bit too short, but barely wearable due to being out of suede which is soft.
8,5UK Oxfords in calf on the Simpson last, , too long, left foot heel slippage, vamp is too tight.

What last in which size I should go for ? I have a sleek heel, and narrow feet, but medium - medium high instep as it seems.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

Last edited:

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only who needs to size down 1.5 from US for the Rain last? I wear a 9 in the Allen Edmonds 333 and 65 last (measured in store); but I tried on a pair of Rain last derby shoes in 8UK and I could fit my fingers behind my heel, even with the thickest dress socks I own on, and I could lift my heel out. Maybe the width and volume accounts for this, but I feel like it would only get bigger with the footbed settling and more wear.

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Am I the only who needs to size down 1.5 from US for the Rain last?  I wear a 9 in the Allen Edmonds 333 and 65 last (measured in store); but I tried on a pair of Rain last derby shoes in 8UK and I could fit my fingers behind my heel, even with the thickest dress socks I own on, and I could lift my heel out.  Maybe the width and volume accounts for this, but I feel like it would only get bigger with the footbed settling and more wear.

I am 9.5D US on AE park avenue & I size down to 8.5UK rain last & 8UK on detroit last on suede shoes.

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am 9.5D US on AE park avenue & I size down to 8.5UK rain last & 8UK on detroit last on suede shoes.
going down 1 size left me with 1/2" of space or more. It was at the end of the day top, so my feet were already swollen to the size they'd be at the end of a work day. I have a pair of Rain boots in 8UK bit I can wear thicker socks with those that no one will see.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads