1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Carmina Sizing Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Mar 5, 2012.

1. surefire1017

surefire1017 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, I'm part of the frankenstitch MTO. Its on the Oscar last and I have no sizing experience. I'm able to go to NY and was thinking epaulet or the armoury but neither have a shoe on the Oscar it seems. I measure 10.5 d low arch. Is there another last or something similar I can try in NYC?

2. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

Anyone care to help me with sizing the Oscar last? Would appreciate it. I'm in on the same frankenstitch jumper as surefire.

I have a rain Chukka in 6 UK which has no heel slip but it's pretty roomy compared to my EG 6E 202 and GG 6F TG73 shoes which I would consider my best fitting shoes. My concern is the instep mainly but there is room in the toe box, length, and width as my toes can wiggle pretty freely. It doesn't hurt or anything, it's just not snug. As you can see in the photo below, I am laced up pretty tightly so I assume it wouldn't fit if this were an oxford or monkstrap. Would this be better in a jumper?

[​IMG]

I think conventional wisdom would put me as a 5.5 UK rain / oscar but I have never tried either. The only other Carmina I tried was 5.5 UK Uetam loafer. One of the uetam was too tight to try on and the other barely fit me as it was tight in length, width, and very tight in instep.

Would you guys go with 6 UK or 5.5 UK?

Thanks!

Provided more sizing in different brands below.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  3. thehaven22

thehaven22 Well-Known Member

I am around the same size as you. My brannock measurement is 7D and I wear a 6.5E in the 5 last. My one shoe in the oscar last is a 6 UK and it fits very well, which is what size I suggest to you. Also, what do you think of those 6 UK rain chukkas beyond a sizing point of view. I've been eyeing that same pair in 6 UK on the Carmina site.

4. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

Thanks for the fit advice.

They are awesome. These get a ton of likes on instagram and the suede of carmina is much better than the suede on my meermins. I'm actually not used to danite though and I like the feel of leather but these are practical.

As far as color is concerned, I feel like dark brown suede is the most classic and most versatile compared to snuff. However, snuff is good looking and does change color in different lighting.

The rain last itself isn't as chiseled or aggressive as something like the GG TG73 or the CJ 348 so it works well in the Chukka form. Makes it a tad more dressier and modern than a round chukka. However, since it is lighter and stands out more, the makeup works well.

I'd probably go for this or a soller dark brown suede chukka. Both makeups would be different and worth wearing.

Some pictures to help your decision:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  5. thehaven22

thehaven22 Well-Known Member

Wow, I didn't even notice they had a danite sole. That is my ideal makeup. The one on the Carmina site has the leather sole. I like the danite because it does seem more versatile for me in a chukka.

I was interested in snuff suede because I don't have shoes in that shade, whereas a dark brown is a shade I have a few shoes in already. As for the last, I prefer rain over the soller simply because I think I'd have to size down to a 5.5 UK and that size isn't very common to find for the price point I am looking at. By the way, if you were ever thinking about selling those shoes [​IMG].

Back to your sizing question, I meant to add I've heard the rain last is wider than the oscar last. You mentioned the toe box was very comfortable/spacey, so that's further reason to go with 6 UK.

6. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

Lol, maybe. I might replace them with something else in the coming months so I'll let you know. Only worn them like 3 times so far.

7. rostov

rostov Senior member

Tried getting sized in Paris, but had a pretty bad experience in what was a relatively busy store. I wear a 10.5 3E in all things Allen Edmonds except the 2-last which is too narrow and I've been forced to go a half-size up. have a high instep although my arch isn't high, it's moderate or even low.

I'm not sure if the Paris store had multiple widths, they seemed to imply that all shoes were in the widths that they were, and we could just try on a pile of shoes until we found a matching size and last... before we both became exhausted by the attempt. Everything I tried was too tight in the forefront, perfect in the toe and wide around the heel, or the arch was too low.

I've now learned it might be possible to get some lasts (Rain and Inca?) in different widths?

Suggestions!? I'm in Philadelphia. I'm frequently in San Francisco, and might be able to make it over to somewhere in NYC, Baltimore, or DC at some point if there is some reasonable place to get fitted.

8. Shawl Lapel

Shawl Lapel Senior member

Ok guys trying to nail down my size in rain, I'm 10.5D US.

9.5uk Alcudia is a perfect fit
    9.5uk Simpson is tight on the top of my foot but length is fine, if I were to do it again I'd go 10
    9.5uk Robert boot is good fit all around

I tried on some 2 eyelet derbies in rain yesterday and the 9.5 was really tight. I'm not sure if it was because with fewer laces there's less room for adjustment or if the box marked 9.5 was really 9.5us though I thought Carmina only marked boxes/shoes in UK sizes? Or I just have really hard to fit feet?

Everything I've read says rain is more accommodating than other lasts so I didn't think I'd have to size UP but based on yesterday I'd be looking at a 10uk.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  9. hanbei23

hanbei23 Senior member

Any sizing advice on the Carmina Inca double monk with respect to the Rain last?

Do people size down from Rain like 1/2 size to the Inca Monk?

10. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I tried sizing down 1/2 size from the Rain to the Inca double monk. It felt like the shoe was a bit too short. I've resigned myself to the fact that the Inca last is not a good fit for my slightly-narrower-than-medium feet.

11. bradp

bradp Senior member

Don't know my size in Rain, but I have the Inca lasted double monk and can say I only sized down .5 from my US size instead of a full 1 and the fit is great. (I have between a D and E width, so YMMV).

12. hanbei23

hanbei23 Senior member

Thank you AC.

13. mcl911

mcl911 Senior member

any experience with loafer forest m2d? shell cordovan loafer
    I wear eg888 uk5.5 ,alden barrie last us6.

14. clevesinho

clevesinho Active Member

For me, Rain in 8UK is a perfect fit. Inca double monks in the same 8UK initially pinched my toes a bit, but feel basically perfect as well after a few wears. I don't think I would have been able to (or would have wanted to) size down for the Inca.

15. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Essentially my experience as well.

16. mcl911

mcl911 Senior member

No loafers???

17. vogs

vogs Well-Known Member

Hi, I am wearing 6,5UK in C&J 348. My main issue is to find shoes, with a quite low instep. The quaters at the C&J nearly close completely. Other than that it fits quite good. I have quite slim feet but it seems that my forefoot is not that slim so there could be a bit more space in the toe box of the 348 but it is still ok. Do you think a Forest in 6.5UK would fit?

18. stgrim

stgrim Senior member

Dear Gentlemen,

I need some sizing advice as I am about to purchase my first pair of Carminas.

I size the following:
    8.5E in Allen Edmonds (AE) 5-65 last
    8.5E in AE 3-333 last
    9.5D in AE 1-511 last
    8.5EEE in AE 2-222 last (thick boot socks)
    8US in Wolverine 1000 Mile Boots
    41.5 in Vass F-last, Normal Width 'F'
    8.5UK in Alfred Sargent 87 last, Narrow Width 'D'
    EU42 in Edetal
    9.5US in Santos by Carlos Santos

I would appreciate any advice in sizing for
    Carmina Simpson, Forest-M, Rain (Cordovan leather) and Soller

I primarily need a high instep and generous toe box. So I think this rules out Soller for me?

Thank you in advance!

19. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I'm a 12 US in AE's 5 last and an 11UK in Carmina's Forest, Rain, Inca and Soller lasts. I have a low instep, so am not the person to comment on how the Soller last accommodates a high instep and was merely comparing Soller to Rain above.

Rain is an obvious choice for a high instep. I also do not think I've ever heard anyone complain about Soller as not accommodating a high instep.

20. Jemmee Yung

Jemmee Yung New Member

Hello Gents,

My Magnanni Desi is EU39.5. Carshoe UK7. As for sneakers and sports shoes I usually take on EU41 or US8. I was wondering if it works for me UK7 on Rain last and UK7.5 on Simpson? Thanks in advance.

Jim