1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Carmina Sizing Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Mar 5, 2012.

1. GeneralW

GeneralW Well-Known Member

Thank you for your input. [​IMG]

2. All Tatters

All Tatters Senior member

King's (by Cheaney) = 9.5
    Meermin Hiro & Ama = 9.5 in width but last slightly too short (especially with Ama, I have Ama 10 now but they are too roomy)

Slightly narrow feet, medium instep.

What sizes would I take in Rain, Inca and Forest?

edit: removed the shoe brands that seem to have different sizing.

All in all, how does the length and width of Carmina lasts compare to Meermin's?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  3. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

All standard widths
    C&J 337 & 348: UK7,5
    G&G MH71, GG06, TG73: UK8
    Vass U, F: EU41,5 (maybe EU41 in F could work, not tried though)

Carmina Simpson: UK8
    Carmina Rain: UK7,5

4. BaldwinP

BaldwinP Senior member

I'm a UK9.5 in C&J 348 last and a 9.5/10 in Edward Green 888 last (the latter is the snuggest possible fit without being too small; the C&J is a comfortable fit and a UK9 is clearly too small).

I'm interested in whether shoes on the Carmina Forest last would suit my feet at all, given that the sleek C&J 348 and EG 888 suit me feet very well and the Forest looks a bit roomier. And if so whether I would stick with a 9.5 or whether Forest is large enough that I should go down to a 9 on it.

5. Leaves

Leaves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

They do have different widths for MTO, if I recall correctly only for the Rain and Forest lasts though.

6. Todd V

Todd V Senior member

Gents…

I picked up a pair of the Forrest last suede brogues from the marketplace and found them to be too small. For reference I wear:

Aberdeen 7.5d
    Inca 6.5uk
    brannock is 7.5d

I was surpised that a 6.5uk Forrest last was too small given the guidance I have read. Not that this is scientific but they measured 1/8" shorter inside then the Inca. Did anyone else have this experience?

I'm angling towards some Simpson last shoes and figure I should go 7uk?

7. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

I have boots in the forest, robert, Oscar and rain lasts.

I wear 9.5UK in all of the above except the rain last in which I chose a 9.

I don't think the rain last is working for me so I probably will not order another style in that last again.

8. Todd V

Todd V Senior member

Gentlemen,

Sorry for the repeat, but could use some advice.

I'm normally a US 7.5D (Aberdeen, etc.)

Inca 6.5UK - fits great (monks, balmorals), love it. Heel is locked and roomy in the forefoot, but not overly so.
    Forest 6.5UK - Balmoral was very snug in the forefoot and around the ball, 7UK feels too long.
    Rain 6.5UK - was sloppy all around, though it is a single monk

Any suggestions for which last I should try next?

I'd try Forest in a wide but am unsure exactly how much more voluminous it would be and being special order, it would be quite a risk. Anyone tried a forest wide?

9. Viral

Viral Senior member

@Todd V..............you might try 7UK in Simpson. Inca being the widest last, you need a half size up on the Simpson.

10. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

Anybody else find that the chelsea boots fit a bit large? I have a 9.5 Simpson Chelsea and it feels a bit more generous then the oxfords that I own. I'd assume the same for the rain lasted Chelsea's as well.

Can anybody weigh in on this?

I have posted the same question in another Carmina thread.

11. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Gents,

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned already back in the thread, but I thought that I'd ask:

Carmina makes balmoral boots in two lasts, Robert and Forest (as far as I am aware).

I have a high instep, and I've been told that the Robert last would fit my high instep in a balmoral boot better than the Forest last.

I take a UK9 in the Rain last, and it fits my instep very well.

Would anyone happen to know if I would take the same size in the Robert last? Or, should I vary my fitting by half-a-size?

Any advice will be gratefully received.

12. Leaves

Leaves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

We always recommend wearing the same size for Robert and Forest. I have boots in both and I can't say that I can feel any noticeable difference in fit although some people feel Robert has a higher instep.

13. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I have a high instep and wear the same size in both, but I'd give the edge to Robert as being a bit more accommodating. The difference isn't huge.

I do take a half size up in both as compared with Rain.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  14. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Roger, thanks again for the advice.

So, just to clarify, you're saying that if you wear, say, a UK9 in the Rain, you'd get a UK9.5 in the Robert?

15. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Short answer: yes. [​IMG] Though you should be cautious in applying e-fit advice without understanding how the shoe and last in question fit the person making the recommendation.

UK8.5 Rain fits me well, but I am using every bit of the shoe. It's a snug fit, but a good fit. Anything narrower, however, and I have to go up a half size - so I wear UK9 in both Robert and Forest. Something as narrow as Simpson, I simply cannot wear. Now if someone were wearing a given size in Rain and found it quite roomy but wearable - that person might not need to size up by a half for Robert / Forest.

For anyone with a high instep, balmoral boots and Chelsea boots can be a very tricky fit. If you're going to miss, you have to miss slightly on the large side, as slightly small can be painful and unwearable. Slightly large can generally be remedied by adding a thin insole.

16. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Need some sizing advice please:

I wear Rain last UK 8.5 width and instep fit fully, but extra length. Also fit EG 888 and 82 lasts in UK 8.5, and Loake 026 last in size UK 8. Also fit Meermin Hiro last UK 8.5.

I need to know what is the best size for me in the Alden Barrie Last and CJ Lindricks.

Thanks.

17. cappedncollared

cappedncollared Well-Known Member

Edit: Double post

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  18. cappedncollared

cappedncollared Well-Known Member

I wear rain UK8 and hiro UK 8.5 (toe box tapers to quickly on the 8).

Alden barrie US8.5 works well for me.

I would be going with a US9 on the barrie.

19. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Thanks. Yes, Hiro toe box is more tapered than Rain,

20. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

9E G&G -> 8.5E Queens?