• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Todd V

Reaction score

All of a sudden they just got really tight In the toe area, the last three toes more specifically. I admit I don't wear them often at all, would it be safe to assume they will break in nicely ?

I had the opposite problem today. My Rain last single monks were loose early in the day making me regret not sizing down. By the end of the day, the heel slipping has quite reduced. I went down one full size from US TTS. :facepalm:

Makes me wonder if I should go down 1.5 sizes for the Inca double monk....

MGD83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a rain lasted oxford, and I went down 1.5 sizes and it fits great. To my knowledge after research, the inca and rain fit similarly. They are both made for wider feet (EE) then say the Simpson last or forest last, which are made for standard E width.

In my opinion the rain last has more room in the toe box area then the inca.

spicycho

Reaction score
If I have an 8uk Oxford on rain that fits well enough, should I size the same for a rain single monk? I am not sure if a monk will fit looser, and if I should go down a half size.

MGD83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd stay with the same size.

tomjones17

Reaction score
i wear a 7.5UK in the simpson last, would a 7UK for a rain last be a good idea?

Thanks all!

spitshine123

Reaction score
I have ugly rectangle feet- narrow heel, wider forefoot and high instep. I fit a 8.5E in AE 5 last pretty well. I can manage a 9D, but there is too much room for my preference in the toebox and the instep is too low.

All indications from reading this is that I'll need the Rain or Inca lasts to fit my width (11 width 26.6cm length)and instep specs.

A lot of recommendations around here for people in AE D-widths, anybody with experience in AE E-widths and the inca/rain lasts?

Also, for my fellow US residents, what is the best online retailer you've dealt with in terms of returns in the event that I run into fit issues?

Many thanks!

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can see Oscar last boots in my future. If I take size 8 in Inca and Rain lasts, how Oscar lasted boots compare? Thanks.

Todd V

Reaction score
I have some AE Leeds and Lasalle in E widths and I would say that the Inca and Rain are not quite as voluminous.

spitshine123

Reaction score
I have some AE Leeds and Lasalle in E widths and I would say that the Inca and Rain are not quite as voluminous.

Thanks. I was fortunate enough to try on a pair.

AE 5 Last 8.5E
Carmina Rain Last 8UK

The fit was actually pretty good (enough room for my feet. I was taken aback as to how "small" my feet looked on the chiseled last vs the "blobbier" AE.

I also tried on an Inca last doublemonk in 8UK, and it seemed to be too big for me. Strange, because the Rain and Inca lasts are supposed to fit the same according to this thread. Maybe its a balmoral vs double monk thing?

Todd V

Reaction score

I also tried on an Inca last doublemonk in 8UK, and it seemed to be too big for me. Strange, because the Rain and Inca lasts are supposed to fit the same according to this thread. Maybe its a balmoral vs double monk thing?

I have the same concern. I can say that Inca in a Bal going down 1 full size from US size is very comfortable and not the least bit restrictive. In fact, I would say it is roomy in the front of the shoe. It fits. I would have to special order the double monks and I'm confused about whether to go down 1.5 sizes from my US.

spitshine123

Reaction score
I have the same concern. I can say that Inca in a Bal going down 1 full size from US size is very comfortable and not the least bit restrictive. In fact, I would say it is roomy in the front of the shoe. It fits. I would have to special order the double monks and I'm confused about whether to go down 1.5 sizes from my US.

Interesting that you were able to go down a full size from the Leeds in E width. The Leeds are on pretty much the widest last AE offers. I went down .5 width to my UK size for the rain last in a bal, and it had just the right width and maybe a tad long - perhaps it was my high instep? Not sure if I could have went down a whole size (not even thinking about 1.5 sizes down) without it being too narrow.

Last edited:

Todd V

Reaction score

Interesting that you were able to go down a full size from the Leeds in E width. The Leeds are on pretty much the widest last AE offers. I went down .5 width to my UK size for the rain last in a bal, and it had just the right width (maybe a tad long though). Not sure if I could have went down a whole size (not even thinking about 1.5 sizes down) without it being too narrow.

The AE E-widths are sloppy on me. I have given up on AE as I just cannot find a last that fits well. I wouldn't say tha tI have wide feet. My brannock is a 7.5D but I found the 1-last to be awfully tight in the toes. The E-widths are, of course....loose in the heel. So, perhaps I could get away with going down 1.5 on the Inca...I dunno!

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a slightly narrower than medium US9.5. The Rain in UK8.5 works for me; the Inca in that size is a bit roomy. The Uetam in UK8.5 is perfect.

konda

Reaction score
Gents. Sizing advice needed.

Wearing:

AE-5 last (and basically all AE lasts) US 14 B
Meermin New Rey UK 13.5
Meernin Olfe UK 13 (boots only)
Alfred Sargent last 48, size UK 12.5 D

Low instep foot.

Recommendations?

I've come to the conclusion that Simpson in 12.5 or 13 would fit and the other lasts get too wide. Am I onto something or way off?

Last edited:

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents I have searched but cannot find this answer, please help: yesterday I bought a pair of slip ons from TSM (Anders) on the Rain last. Do the lace ups fit generally the same. I have a wide foot and the Rain last appears to be a great fit, was wondering if the other shoes on the same last fit identically?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads