1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Carmina Sizing Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Mar 5, 2012.

1. ar638

ar638 Member

hi all. i'm keen on buying a pair of carminas as my first pair of good quality shoes and as i live in asia, i want to maximize the chances of ordering the right size first time around.

i tried a few oxfords at church's and dunhill, and came up 7 in both. i currently own some geox lace ups that are 41, and whole bunch of timberland loafers which are either US 7.5 or 8.0.

i emailed carmina with my foot measurements (25.7cm x 10.3cm for the left, right slightly smaller) and betty replied suggesting UK 6.5 in either rain or inca last.

slightly surprised as I thought i would be a 7.0 or 7.5 UK.

any thoughts?

thanks!

2. Burton

Burton Senior member

Not suprsied she is suggesting the smaller size--because she is also suggesting the wider last. This would be pretty normal - size down in length and out in width - if she thought you had a wider foot. I am going to guess that Betty knows better than anyone here what size you would wear based on the measurements.

3. ar638

ar638 Member

thanks a lot for your feedback burton. i actually replied back to her and here is how it went:

me - "I am a little surprised at your suggestion of 6.5. Did you mean 7.5? As I mentioned I wear 41 normally which I believe is 7.5 in UK."
    betty - "
    Sorry in that case maybe 7UK , I really think that 7.5 UK is big for you. Maybe I am wrong."

hence inclined to go with 7.0 UK, and if that turns out to be too big, order the 6.5 UK.

must say its nice to be receiving very prompt responses from them pre sale. hoping its an indicator of post sale service!

4. Sergey

Sergey Active Member

How the Forest EE last compares to the Detroit last? I want to buy Alden, Barrie last what size do you advise?

5. konda

konda Senior member

I would say an Olfe UK 13 is about a Simpson in UK 12.5. Instep around the same, width around the same. I'd say overall the Olfe is a little larger in all aspects. Based on comparing the two together a week ago.

6. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Anyone have experience with carmina belts? I was enquiring into availability and sizing and betty mentioned they can be easily cut, how does that work?

7. WiredandTired

WiredandTired Senior member

I would consult with the carmina affiliates on here. You can order longer and ask a gold leatherworker to shorten the belt.

8. cappedncollared

cappedncollared Well-Known Member

I've had two shortened by my local cobbler in Aus. While it's a relatively simple task, you/they will still need a small leather punch, slightly bigger leather punch, a flathead screwdriver and a leather cutter to do a tidy job. $10 for two and 15 minutes.

My cobbler was impressed by leather quality and design of the buckle. I'm also really happy with the belts.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

Anybody have experience with ordering Simpson lasted Chelsea boots or Chukkas? I'm just wondering if the lasting would be similar to the oxfords, and if they would fit the same. I wasn't sure whether to size down a half size for boots or stay with my usual size.

10. spicycho

spicycho Senior member

I w
    was wondering the same. I went for a Simpson Chelsea, 8uk which is the same size I have for a simpson lasted balmoral. Hope it works out, I doubt I could size down at all.

11. konda

konda Senior member

What is your assumption for sizing down half a size for a boot?

12. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Good question. If I make a size change for a boot, it is usually a half-size up.

13. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

We will find out shortly enough, my boots should be here by the end of this week. I will post a photo.

14. GabrielOB

GabrielOB Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree that sizing down for a boot is often quite unusual. But, one should remember that a Chelsea boot is a more dressy and elegant type of boot which is very hard to adjust in its fitting after breaking them in. That could be one reason why it sometimes could be wise to have a very snug fit for a Chelsea boot. Otherwise, I also often size up half a size on other types of boots.

15. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

C&J 348-last: 7,5UK
    Vass U-last: 41,5EU
    Vass F-last: 41,5EU
    G&G MH71-last: 8UK

Carmina Rain-last?
    Carmina Robert-last?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  16. Claus

Claus Senior member

E or F?

If E, plus half a size for the Rain last; if F, same size for the Rain last, according to my information.

Hope this helps.

17. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

E. Plus a size? I've read that some size down a size or keeps their 348-last size, but not size up. That was new and complicates the procedure. Thanks for the answer, I appreciate it.

Anyone else? Any experience with the Robert-last would also be appreciated?

18. Claus

Claus Senior member

Plus half a size. In other words, a UK 8.0 like your G&G MH71 last.

19. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Senior member

Looking for some guidance on sizing in the uetam last.

I'm a 9.5 D in the Alden Barrie and 10D in the Alden Leydon.

Thank you!

20. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I'm a TTS US9.5D (for my right foot at least; my left foot is more like a 9.25C). The Uetam last in UK8.5 is a pretty good fit for a loafer. No heel slippage.