1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Carmina Sizing Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Todd V

Todd V Senior member

I had the opposite problem today. My Rain last single monks were loose early in the day making me regret not sizing down. By the end of the day, the heel slipping has quite reduced. I went down one full size from US TTS. :facepalm:

Makes me wonder if I should go down 1.5 sizes for the Inca double monk....

2. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

I have a rain lasted oxford, and I went down 1.5 sizes and it fits great. To my knowledge after research, the inca and rain fit similarly. They are both made for wider feet (EE) then say the Simpson last or forest last, which are made for standard E width.

In my opinion the rain last has more room in the toe box area then the inca.

3. spicycho

spicycho Senior member

If I have an 8uk Oxford on rain that fits well enough, should I size the same for a rain single monk? I am not sure if a monk will fit looser, and if I should go down a half size.

4. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

I'd stay with the same size.

5. tomjones17

tomjones17 Member

i wear a 7.5UK in the simpson last, would a 7UK for a rain last be a good idea?

Thanks all!

6. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

I have ugly rectangle feet- narrow heel, wider forefoot and high instep. I fit a 8.5E in AE 5 last pretty well. I can manage a 9D, but there is too much room for my preference in the toebox and the instep is too low.

All indications from reading this is that I'll need the Rain or Inca lasts to fit my width (11 width 26.6cm length)and instep specs.

A lot of recommendations around here for people in AE D-widths, anybody with experience in AE E-widths and the inca/rain lasts?

Also, for my fellow US residents, what is the best online retailer you've dealt with in terms of returns in the event that I run into fit issues?

Many thanks!

7. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

I can see Oscar last boots in my future. If I take size 8 in Inca and Rain lasts, how Oscar lasted boots compare? Thanks.

8. Todd V

Todd V Senior member

I have some AE Leeds and Lasalle in E widths and I would say that the Inca and Rain are not quite as voluminous.

9. spitshine123

Thanks. I was fortunate enough to try on a pair.

AE 5 Last 8.5E
    Carmina Rain Last 8UK

The fit was actually pretty good (enough room for my feet. I was taken aback as to how "small" my feet looked on the chiseled last vs the "blobbier" AE.

I also tried on an Inca last doublemonk in 8UK, and it seemed to be too big for me. Strange, because the Rain and Inca lasts are supposed to fit the same according to this thread. Maybe its a balmoral vs double monk thing?

10. Todd V

Todd V Senior member

I have the same concern. I can say that Inca in a Bal going down 1 full size from US size is very comfortable and not the least bit restrictive. In fact, I would say it is roomy in the front of the shoe. It fits. I would have to special order the double monks and I'm confused about whether to go down 1.5 sizes from my US.

11. spitshine123

Interesting that you were able to go down a full size from the Leeds in E width. The Leeds are on pretty much the widest last AE offers. I went down .5 width to my UK size for the rain last in a bal, and it had just the right width and maybe a tad long - perhaps it was my high instep? Not sure if I could have went down a whole size (not even thinking about 1.5 sizes down) without it being too narrow.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  12. Todd V

Todd V Senior member

The AE E-widths are sloppy on me. I have given up on AE as I just cannot find a last that fits well. I wouldn't say tha tI have wide feet. My brannock is a 7.5D but I found the 1-last to be awfully tight in the toes. The E-widths are, of course....loose in the heel. So, perhaps I could get away with going down 1.5 on the Inca...I dunno!

13. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I'm a slightly narrower than medium US9.5. The Rain in UK8.5 works for me; the Inca in that size is a bit roomy. The Uetam in UK8.5 is perfect.

14. konda

konda Senior member

Gents. Sizing advice needed.

Wearing:

AE-5 last (and basically all AE lasts) US 14 B
    Meermin New Rey UK 13.5
    Meernin Olfe UK 13 (boots only)
    Alfred Sargent last 48, size UK 12.5 D

Low instep foot.

Recommendations?

I've come to the conclusion that Simpson in 12.5 or 13 would fit and the other lasts get too wide. Am I onto something or way off?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  15. Burton

Burton Senior member

Gents I have searched but cannot find this answer, please help: yesterday I bought a pair of slip ons from TSM (Anders) on the Rain last. Do the lace ups fit generally the same. I have a wide foot and the Rain last appears to be a great fit, was wondering if the other shoes on the same last fit identically?

16. booyaolian

booyaolian Active Member

I am 8D on AE 5 last (Fifth) and 8D on 2-222 last
    It seems some people downsize 1.5 for Rain Last.

Should I go for 6.5D or 7D? They are currently offering freeshipping is there freeship back?

17. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

I down 1.5 sizes for rain last. However a funny thing did occur once where I have 2 pairs of oxfords both on rain in the same size yet they fit totally different.

18. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

Just to prove how tricky sizing can be sometimes:

Today I tried on a pair of beautiful robert lasted balmoral boots in a UK 10. My foot measures a solid US 10.5D.

I was expecting the boot to be large, yet the laces closed perfectly and the boot didn't feel big at all. I'm currently waiting for the store to stock the 9.5 (they ran out) just so I can try it on and make sure before I spend the money.

19. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Senior member

For what it is worth, I wear a 9D on the AE 5 and 2 lasts. I wear an 8UK (standard width) in the Rain last Carminas.

20. booyaolian

booyaolian Active Member

Do you feel the Rain last is too big though? I emailed Betty she recommend I go with Simpson last.
    She says if I am a D then Rain would be a bit roomy.