1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Carmina Sizing Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Concub1ne

Concub1ne Senior member

FWIW I wear a 7.5 in forest, but had to go up half a size to an 8 for a boot on the robert last. Supposedly forest is one of their roomiest lasts. Perhaps someone who has put some miles on their carminas can chime in on the stretching.

2. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Both of these models (captoe bals; one straight tip, one perf tip) are on the Forest Last.

http://www.carmina.telemaco.es/articulo.asp?idarticulo=3476659

http://www.carmina.telemaco.es/articulo.asp?idarticulo=3476662

I was really hoping that the straight tip version would currently come in burgundy shell; it does not. The perf tip version, however, does, and the website indicates plenty of sizes in stock. If someone has the burgundy shell straight tip version and is looking to get rid of it, let me know. :D

I have no Carmina shoes or boots, but I do have numerous shell models, shoes and boots, from Alden, C&J, etc., and various calf models from various makers. What size would I take on the Forest last? For frame of reference, I am:

TTS - US9.5D
    C&J - UK8.5E (341, 325; 324; 317; 240)
    JL - UK8.5E (8896; 7000)
    EG - UK9E (82, 202)

Thanks.

3. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

I think you'd be safe with a UK8.5. I have Carminas in Forest, Rain, and Simpson. For me, Simpson is narrower than Forest, and Rain is wider than Forest. My feet are fairly narrow with medium instep. But I think the Forest last is just a very forgiving one, so given that you seem to be a pretty standard 8.5/9.5, UK8.5 and Forest should work out well.

Since you say that the straight tip version doesn't come in burgundy shell, I assume that you've already contacted Betty to make sure. But in case you haven't, it's worth emailing her.

4. sevenfoldtieguy

From Betty via email: "Depending on your size it is in Cognac or Black Cordovan but not on burgundy at this moment."

She also suggested UK8.5, but I am always open to opinions. Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  5. sevenfoldtieguy

I should also ask if any of you have either model above, or both. If yes, thoughts?

6. DCRoyal

DCRoyal Active Member

I am in need of a simple captoe bal, and Carmina's version on the forest last looks perfect. Reading through this thread, and realizing everyones fit is different, I couldnt come to a comfortable enough conclusion on my own so I am forced to ask...

I am a 12.5D on the Hampton. On Carmina's website this suggests I would be a UK 12, but I see many here take a size down from US in the UK sizing. Can anyone speak to the Aberdeen and its corresponding fit on the Forrest?

Thanks in advance!

7. sevenfoldtieguy

Carmina (Betty; see above) recommended I go a full size down from my usual US size for a Forest-lasted shoe.

8. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

I have the 732 in black calf. It's a great cap toe. Very comfortable right out of the box. Handsome, classical shape. My impression is that toe box of the Forest last is a little taller than similar shoes, but I think that I notice more in terms of fit than appearance.

9. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

i'm curious about this as well. I'm a 9D on the Hampton last from Alden and according to the epaulet.com site I should go down to a UK 8. Anyone have any experience with the Carmina Taylor split-toe last?

10. All Tatters

All Tatters Senior member

Does anyone know how Carminas size up to Meermins?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  11. Aieyric

Aieyric Senior member

I am the same size in both carmina and meermin but my carmina is slightly snugger.
    And I have experience with Carmina inca last and all of meermins lasts (in .5 up in new rey).

12. All Tatters

Thank you.

This does bring me in a slightly difficult situation though.

I have communicated with both brands and Carmina recommends 10.5 (RAIN) and Meermin recommends 9.5 (HIRO) (changed to 10 after I mentioned it seemed so small compared to my other (non-goodyear) shoe sizes).

This difference cannot be explained based on the above. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  13. Aieyric

Aieyric Senior member

are you sure both are in UK sizes ?
    sounds to me carmina are giving you a US size and meermin a UK size

14. All Tatters

Yes, both are UK, I explicitly mentioned it in the e-mails to both stores and I'm European so I never use US shoe sizes.

My C&J 358 size is 10 or 9.5 (all sizes UK). I ordered a pair of 10.5 but it was definitely too big. If I find out my C&J size I'll also know my Carmina size, right?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  15. silentfox74

silentfox74 Active Member

Unless I have miss it while reading the whole thread, does anyone with experience can tell me how the boot with Alcudia last is compared with Alden Indy/Tricker's stow. I have wide feet, so if I am wearing 10 D Alden Indy/9.5 uk tricker's stow, should I go with 10 uk Alcudia last?

16. SpiffEngineer

SpiffEngineer Senior member

Alcudia is just about the worst last you can go with if you have wide feet. I have wide feet, and I go with Inca, Rain, and Soller lasts. I think Detroit is wide as well, but I have not tried them on.

1 person likes this.
  17. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

^ +1. The Alcudia is long and narrow. I have medium to wide feet and I wear the same size in Carmina's Alcudia as in Alden Indy. For Tricker's, my Stows are a half size smaller than my Carmina Alcudia. However, depending on how wide you are, the Alcudia might not be forgiving.

1 person likes this.
  18. silentfox74

Thanks guys. I am flat footed and that is why I find Alden/tricker's last are more comfortable. Sigh, I wish Carmina offer something another colour rather than just black (non-cordovan) boots.

19. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Of course, everyone has different feet and so shoes will fit differently, so I don't know if my experience will be of any help.

The only Carmina last with which I have any experience is the Rain last. I have C&Js on the 348 and 337 lasts. I take a UK9 in all of them, both C&J and Carmina.

I'm sorry if you know this already, but have you had a look at the Skoaktiebolaget and Epaulet NY websites? Both shops sell Carmina boots in a range of colours, in both calf leather and cordovan leather.

20. silentfox74

Yes, thank you for telling me this. skoaktiebolaget is currently out of stock and eta of new stock is probably Feb (which is this month). Epaulet NY does have my size but I am still not sold on Cordovan Leather. The only colour I am interested in is the midnight calf forest last but unfortunately 9.5 uk sizing are all taken.

This is personal preference but I just don't like how Cordovan doesn't creases like normal calf and the price point Epaulet is still $200 above what Carmina is offering.

I know that Epaulet offer their own version and they justify their pricing on it, but after shipping, custom, etc, it just starts to become ridiculous. My only grip is that why can't shoe store stock more of popular sizes. my size haha

edit: just to clarify, I am only looking for boots.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013